Alright I search could not find anything. - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Alright I search could not find anything.
Sunday, November 19, 2006 8:46 PM
i was wondering if there was a way to use the 2.4 s/c reflash on the 2003-2005 ecotec???
which i'm guess wouldn't work.
so heres my next question.
would it be possible to combine the 2.4 reflash o/s with the ecotech reflash o/s somehow to create a custom o/s for the ecotecs so we could tune the s/c reflash for the ecotec's?

i'm sure its probably been talked about but i couldn't find anything at all on it

and from what i understand chris at hpt still hasn't been able to create a custom o/s for it, i'm just wondering since i'm still debating on getting the eco s/c reflash or just using hpt, but the thing is i want a true tune not a hacked tune

anyways thanks for your input on this
as always i'm sure SHIFTED could put some light on this

You take a women and X her by PSI devide the legs and you can then juice the car......LOL

Re: Alright I search could not find anything.
Sunday, November 19, 2006 9:19 PM
Dude, I wish...

Sunday, November 19, 2006 9:44 PM
Nope, won't work. Apart from the engine controls being different, the ECU hardware isn't even close.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a custom OS from HPT, there just isn't enough demand for it. Is it possible to write a custom OS? Yeah, it is. You can't take the 2.4 OS and use the Eco calibrations though. And unless you have a very intimate knowledge of assembly code and know how to suck the raw binary out of the Eco ECU, reverse engineer it, design a boot loader that works with the OBD-II and the GM vehicle network, then I wouldn't hold my breath for that one either.

Unfortunately, the Eco is SOL when it comes to having a 2 bar OS. The closest thing you could ask for is to convert the entire car to CAN and "fly-by-wire" and use the cobalt ECU.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, November 20, 2006 8:53 AM
^ CAN?

Canadian?

Monday, November 20, 2006 9:02 AM
CAN is a vehicle network, there are 4 basic network types, PWM, VPW, ISO, and CAN. CAN is the newest of the bunch and GM is moving from VPW to CAN. Basically it means you can't plug a Cobalt ECU into a Cavalier Eco harness and expect it to work, the devices on the vehicle network talk different languages.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, November 20, 2006 3:16 PM
so basically i have 3 options either use 1.stand alone engine management and start from scratch
2.use hpt and hack a tune so the ecu can see boost or 3. use the reflash
i guess i should just get my car tuned by hpt so that way it can be tuned for my application on a dyno

You take a women and X her by PSI devide the legs and you can then juice the car......LOL
Monday, November 20, 2006 4:54 PM
HPT will work fine.... The problem is too many people get and dont know how to "properly" use it.... Yes, a 2 BAR OS would be nice and make things easier, but there are ways around it......... OHV guys like myself have never had an optional SC program like the LD9/Eco Guys... My question is, do you or have you ever done any EFI tuning, and do you know the proper fundamentals and the relationships between the tables???? You keep saying "hack" tune... Have you ever seen the SC program???

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Monday, November 20, 2006 7:11 PM
no i havn't seen it, but i've read alot about tuning
i understand fuel and air mixture and the fundamentals of turbocharging a car, and how an engine works, i've helped do engine swaps for my friends

i just would like to use a 2.5 bar or 3bar map sensor thats all, and from what i read only the LD9 guys can use the 2bar map sensor with hpt but then again thats tunable with hpt
i would just like to use a 2bar or higher map sensor which from what i read you have to use the original 1bar map sensor to tune with hpt to fake a 2bar or 3bar sensor

Monday, November 20, 2006 7:29 PM
ALcOhOLjC wrote:i would just like to use a 2bar or higher map sensor which from what i read you have to use the original 1bar map sensor to tune with hpt to fake a 2bar or 3bar sensor

in order to fake the 2/3 BAR, you need that particular sensor.... You just have to "fake" the values for what the PCM sees..... One think you have to remember is that our cars use TPS for fuel, not MAP.... MAP is only used for Timing unless you have the reflash...... Check out Ron's (Shifted) FAQ/How To on this subject.. it may clear some things up for you....
How to Fake a 2/3 BAR Tune

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Monday, November 20, 2006 7:48 PM
ya i've heard it, its just somethings i don't quite understand on it

i'm thinking it would be easier for someone to just flash that tuned file to my pcm what do you think???

Monday, November 20, 2006 7:48 PM
lol i mean to say read

Monday, November 20, 2006 8:18 PM
ALcOhOLjC wrote:
i'm thinking it would be easier for someone to just flash that tuned file to my pcm what do you think???
Thats the problem.... No two cars are going to be the same.... Whenever you flash someone else's tune to your car, does not mean you are "properly tuned".... It may get you in the ballpark, but you can't stop there.......

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 1:57 AM
well do you suggest i go to a race shop here in town and have them tune my ecu for boost after i get my turbo project done???
what i'm really looking for is to have a 250-300whp in the end and have a very good fine tuned car
after 230whp i'll be doing internals don't worry

just trying to find what the very best options would be i want my car to last but be fun to drive, i've got the money to do i just want to do it right the first time

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 4:54 PM
I would recommend getting your turbo project done and installed, then take it to get it dyno tuned with the HPT.... You may need to buy your own HPT and just have the shop use it for you.. . If you feel comfortable using the HPT yourself, go for it, but it sounds like you need to tune with somebody that know what they are doing and can show/explain it to you during the process....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search