what is difference between high & low impedence injectors - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
what is difference between high & low impedence injectors
Monday, December 11, 2006 10:24 AM
whats the difference between low and high impedence injectors?

Re: what is difference between high & low impedence injectors
Monday, December 11, 2006 4:35 PM
resistance...

I am just throwing numbers out here, but low impedance has a resistance from 4-8 ohms and high impedance are somewhere in the 12-16 ohm range. If I remember correctly, the terms associated with them are...

High = peak and hold
Low = saturated

Technically, you could run high impedence injectors on a car that requires Low impedence, if you run them in parallel with another (or several) resistors. Low impedence injectors could be used on a car that requires High impedence injectors by running a resistor (or several) in series with the injectors. You just have to make sure the resistors can take the amount of watts they have to disipate in heat.

For simplisticy sake, just run the ones set up for your ECU.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Tuesday, December 12, 2006 3:32 PM
Quote:

High = peak and hold
Low = saturated

No! This is backward.

Low impedance injectors are used with peak and hold drivers.
High impedance injectors are used with saturated drivers.

Quote:

Technically, you could run high impedence injectors on a car that requires Low impedence

Yes. This is correct.

Quote:

if you run them in parallel with another (or several) resistors.

There is no need to use resistors. Adding resistors will reduce the current available to open the injectors. Since they are high impedance injectors requiring *more* current to open, reducing the current will make them perform poorly. The peak and hold driver circuitry senses current through the injector. With a high impedance injector installed, "peak" current will never be achieved and the driver will never switch to "hold" mode. But the total current through the circuit will not be high enough to damage the driver.

Quote:

Low impedence injectors could be used on a car that requires High impedence injectors by running a resistor (or several) in series with the injectors. You just have to make sure the resistors can take the amount of watts they have to disipate in heat.

Absolutely correct.

Quote:

For simplisticy sake, just run the ones set up for your ECU.

^^^ What he said!

-->Slow
Tuesday, December 12, 2006 8:02 PM
Know where to find low impedance injectors? I have an 01 Z, pretty sure i have low, and can't find anything on injectors but Ford ones. Why is this? I am just looking for a set of 300cc ish injectors that simply plug in to the stock harnes.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 9:09 PM
Thanks for the corrections Slowolej.

No Shawn...You have High impedence injectors. The 95-99 J's had the Low impedence

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search