Standalones and passing emissions - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Standalones and passing emissions
Wednesday, January 03, 2007 6:44 PM
My county requires emissions inspections every year.

Say I went to a standalone like Big Stuff 3 or Megasquirt...would they still plug their obd2 tool into my obd2 port?
Would it say anything?

What exactly do those machines scan for when they scan the ecu and would a standalone pass the test provided no codes are being thrown?

Re: Standalones and passing emissions
Wednesday, January 03, 2007 7:12 PM
Basically if there is a check engine light, you fail. The emissions tests must be completed and passed. Most standalones do not connect to the OBD port. You will need to have your stock ECU in there for that to work, the bad part is that it won't pass the tests unless the ECU is actually monitoring and controlling stuff.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 8:25 PM
So if I'm idling at a good afr with no codes...I'd pass?

It would be a serious headache to revert back to the stock ecu and injectors for a freaking emissions test.

Thursday, January 04, 2007 4:46 AM
Yeah, and the OBD tests must be completed and passed (these are tests run by the ECU as you drive, there are continuous and non-continuous tests).

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, January 04, 2007 5:48 AM
as long as the OBD2 system thinks its doing its job, you'll be ok

you can run MS and have the ecu think everything is peachy keen.. resistors in the stock injection harness trick the ecu into thinking its in control of the injectors still.

most OBD2 tests don't even require the sniffer up the tailpipe of the car. Whenever I go to inspection, all they do is hook up to my OBD2 port, scan the car (a bit more extensive then your average scantool scan) then after about 10 minutes its done.

Thursday, January 04, 2007 7:17 AM
and this is why HP tuners , and the stock pcm are a better combonation

Thursday, January 04, 2007 7:55 AM
[quote=97trd(???™)]and this is why HP tuners , and the stock pcm are a better combonation

ehhh, hptuners is good for clearing the codes that would make you fail the test, a standalone is good for tuning a car

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Thursday, January 04, 2007 10:04 AM
Thanks for the responses guys!

Thursday, January 04, 2007 11:57 AM
[quote=97trd(???™)]and this is why HP tuners , and the stock pcm are a better combonation

Now only to finda tuner to make it work with the M62 kit.
Thursday, January 04, 2007 12:01 PM
if anything its easier to pass emissions with hp tuners lol, you can delete whatevers wrong lol

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Friday, January 05, 2007 7:17 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:if anything its easier to pass emissions with hp tuners lol, you can delete whatevers wrong lol

no you can't

If as an example you gutted the cat, got a CMS code because of it, and then deleted the code with HP, you would still fail.

Turning off the code does not stop the readiness test. And if the component will not pass the readiness test, the PCM will never reset the P1000 code, making you fail the test.

From a simple legal standpoint:
No standalone controller is legal.
No custom HP tune is legal.

To be legal, standardized testing would have to be performed by an independent lab (my company uses Daimler's labs) and then filed with the EPA.

This does not mean a standalone or custom tune could never pass the testing, they could (Although their are no OBD2 compliant standalones so they really cant pass). But without the paperwork filed in advance its still illegal.

sig not found

Friday, January 05, 2007 8:51 PM
thats why im glad i dont have to deal with them emissions free here HA HA.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007 7:03 PM
Same here^ - Turbo + MSnS + straightpipe for me!
Thursday, January 11, 2007 7:58 AM
standalones are legal, but on older vehicles where all you have to do is pass the sniffer test

make the car run clean, and you pass.. then put it back into an aggressive tune

I have inspection coming up in august, so we'll see how I do with an HPT tune

Thursday, January 11, 2007 10:06 AM
^^^^^^ If you make the car lean you are in danger of failing for NOX. There will still be a visual inspection for a cat if they can tell the car has been modified. Even in a lean condition, you may still fail the sniffer test without a cat unless you have a super-efficient burn.
Personally, I'm getting around this by setting up my fuel system to run off of E85 and making a fake cat. A RICH burn could pass the sniffers with E85, plus it is 100 octane. You do however need to flow more fuel to use it so it requires upgrading EVERYTHING in your fuel system.

It is pretty easy to pass with an OBD2 vehicle as long as you are tricking the computer into thinking it is in control of everything.

Cardomain|Myspace

Thursday, January 11, 2007 3:10 PM
i said clean not lean lol

Thursday, January 11, 2007 4:20 PM
Emissions suck their just another way to tell us we need to spend more money on our cars and get rid of performance and hot-rodding but as long as gurus and power seekers like us live on the aftermarket will always find a loop hole some where and we will continue to live on. I would say use some resistors and some sensors and trick the stock ECU into thinking its in control and see where you end up ?? its a start!!

'99 2.2 OHV w/3spd auto (work in progress)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2322134
Friday, January 12, 2007 12:14 PM
protomec - again you have no clue whatsoever as to what your talking about

Nobody here gets Hp tuners because they are concerned with legality. For example here in PA they do a visual inspection and then they slap on a code reader and check for codes, if nothing comes up, you pass no questions asked. This past year I had a bad 02 sensor as well as a system too rich code that I was in the process of fixing because i had just gotten HP tuners the week before, week before the inspection I cleared them, went in got my inspection and passed, never would have been able to do that without HP tuners.

Reguardless if your car is tuned right and catted you shouldnt have any emissions issues anyway. If your smart enough emissions are never hard to pass.

Friday, January 12, 2007 4:07 PM
Yep, thats me. You hit the nail on the head yet again.
Your cluelessness seems to truly have no boundaries.

Inspections vary greatly by location. The majority of the country has no emissions inspections at all.
In the places that do, some have simple visual inspections and a hydrocarbon/CO snifffer tests, others have OBD2 checks on top of that, and further yet, some even have full on drive cycle tests that measure all major pollutants.

The Hydrocarbon/CO test are easiest to pass. Almost any failing car can be made to pass by leaning then out. NOx does go way up when you do this, but its not tested so it doesn't matter.
Some places will add CO2 and NOx tests so passing becomes harder.

In places that do an OBD2 scan, unless the technician lets it slide, having a P1000 is a failure.
Your (Rediculous Prime's) situation does not apply to this scenerio. You did not deactivate your rich codes or 02 codes, You cleared them. Then you drove the car for a week. Its obvious that while your sensor may have been weak, it had not completely failed. It worked well enough to get over the readiness tests, which just means the PCM saw it switching at least enough to think it was working. The result is no 02 codes and a readiness test pass that dropped the P1000. Then again, the tech may have simply let it slide anyway.

Beyond any of that anyway, the car was altered from stock and not recertified. It was completely illegal whether you got caught or not.

sig not found
Saturday, January 13, 2007 8:26 AM
Have you ever even used Hp tuners?

Sunday, January 14, 2007 8:32 AM

Sunday, January 14, 2007 4:18 PM
maybe you should learn how to use it then

Sunday, January 14, 2007 4:57 PM
Emissions suck because we do not own our cars (legally).. and are forced to do them. if we owned them, why are we forced to do anything?

the easiest way to get around them is to get a postnet, mailboxes etc, etc box a month before the test in a county without testing. send in an address change form and you no longer have a test

best way to pass a test is to never need to take it. (this will work as long as your state has at least 1 non-testing county)

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Sunday, January 14, 2007 8:01 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:maybe you should learn how to use it then

Wow, good one.

That statement does not my info wrong, nor does it offer a contradiction to it. Not that anything you say has done so.., because I am correct.

Also, that statement, nor any you could ever come up with, makes your car, or any you work on, even halfway in the ballpark of the cars I have built.

Now that you have learned what a MAF sensor does via the HP forums, now you can move on to trying to understand the basics of engine tuning.

sig not found
Monday, January 15, 2007 7:00 AM
I only use the Hp tuner forum to confirm my thoerys, my thoery was correct, I learned it in a day

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search