Electronics - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Electronics
Sunday, May 07, 2006 1:56 PM
Hey,

I have been researching engine management systems and am looking for a little advice on which direction I should go given what I have and what I'm looking for. I have an 04 cavalier, with AEM CAI, magnaflow cat-back exhaust, and the GM s/c. I'm looking for a unit that will let me modify fuel curves, display A/F ratio and modify it based on amount of boost, and also some pluses would be that it would display boost pressure, allow for adjustments in transmission shift points and timings, and allow for adjusting the rev limiter and speed limiter(although the speed limiter probably wouldn't be needed yet). The pluses aren't things I have to have, but it would be nice to have at least most of them. Also, I'd like something where it's easy to see the display and change things, if that means using a laptop, that's ok.

I've been looking at MegaSquirt, hp tuners, cartech 2025, and apexi safc the most, but I'm open to suggestions for other things to use. What would you guys recommend if:
a.) money is an issue
or
b.) money isn't an issue
or
c.) looking for something basic that does what I want

At first I was thinking maybe the apexi safc, but then I read people say that its not as good if you're using boost. Then I was leaning towards megasquirt, but their site made it sound like it might be pretty hard to setup. As far as that's concerned, I think I could do the assembly, but I was kind of concerned about what other parts/sensors I might need. Any advice on that would be appreciated too. I know other threads address some of these issues, and I've been reading what I can, but I'm still not sure which one would be best for what I'm looking for.Thanks.

Re: Electronics
Sunday, May 07, 2006 2:09 PM
i would say

hptuners
hptuners
hptuners

*************Yea i spell liek wrong get over it*****************
** If i write in caps its cause im @ work and i can only write in caps cause the keyboard is a retarded CAPS only keyboard.**
Sunday, May 07, 2006 5:23 PM
a) gm reflash, bigger injectors, used Apexi S-AFC if you have a few extra bucks hptuners and big injectors
b) money is no issue............ TEC 3 or Haltec
something that's easy to setup and tune Apex S-AFC is easier to tune due to its limited adjustability, but wiring is involved... HPTuners software is easy to setup, but has a learning curve that requires you to get an understanding on how the computer uses the interaction of values between sensors to keep your bucket running.... the hardest to setup and tune would be any complete standalone...

if you're looking for a middle ground... hptuners is a happy place currently that's on the gm 4cyl market.

-Trailblazer SS - not so custom 6.0L - custom intake - custom tune
- (1) 2.4L on an engine stand (1) blown trans (2) good quad trans (1) eco trans = party

Sunday, May 07, 2006 5:29 PM
SAFC is NOT a tuning device, stay away from it.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Sunday, May 07, 2006 6:30 PM
he already has the reflash.........it says he has the gm/sc

*************Yea i spell liek wrong get over it*****************
** If i write in caps its cause im @ work and i can only write in caps cause the keyboard is a retarded CAPS only keyboard.**
Sunday, May 07, 2006 8:11 PM
Shifted wrote:SAFC is NOT a tuning device, stay away from it.

unless your using it for idel tuning with fmus. theres a black 2200 auto that used it for a while.

anywho. as you mod your car more youll find that it becomes easir and easir to singel out your options, for your needs.

for your setup Its a bit sketchy, you say you have an 04 eco with the charger right? then why dont you have a reflash??? if you do have a reflash then why do you need a tuning device? are you already boostedor is it sitting in the gargae.?

if you have the flash then your best bet is hp tuners. it will let you utilise your MAF and factory ecu which means no wiring just plug and play.

if you dont have the flash then MS is the way to go. its not that hard to do and it is uber cheap. try 300 hundred compleate.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Sunday, May 07, 2006 8:15 PM
HPTuners FTW!!! I love mine.......

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Monday, May 08, 2006 4:31 PM
Hey,
Thanks all for the info, it sounds like the consensus so far is hp tuners. Just to clear up some confusion from some of the earlier posts, I do have the s/c installed currently and I also had the reflash done. One question I had about hp tuners, is do you have to buy it straight from their site or is there any other way? I tried searching ebay and froogle and didn't see any mention of hp tuners, unless it was under a different name. It appeared as if on the site it was $500, is that basically the only option? not saying that's bad, but just curious. Also, I was kind of curious what some of everyone's favorite features of hp tuners were, the best ones or whatever? Thanks again and keep boosting...
Monday, May 08, 2006 8:47 PM
I was wondering how hard is it to tune the fuel map with hp tuners? Also, for the guage displays, are afr and boost options? Thanks
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search