Please Read! - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Please Read!
Wednesday, January 31, 2007 8:41 AM
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=71587#post71587

Please read and respond to that post on the HPT forum. We NEED more features in HPT to get the best possible tune!

Re: Please Read!
Wednesday, January 31, 2007 8:51 AM
foff said it best, it'll probably work for the Eco ecu's, but not the older style ones.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, February 01, 2007 12:18 PM
is this possible on the 95 OBD1 ecu?

Thursday, February 01, 2007 2:12 PM
Its possible on any PCM with the correct software (think OEM)
but its not possible with whats available for the 95 PCM in the aftermarket.

As for 97-up using HP, there is so much stuff they simply ignored or left out its sad.
When I asked about this directly on their site they replied "no there really isn't".

I know that to be false. Its easy to know there was far more timing info just released with the new update. And there have to be EGR tables for cars equipped with EGR. Even more there has to be some sort of calibration data for cars with traction control. Yet none will ever be decoded because there isnt enough people interested in it to make it worth the investment.

I love that they finally came through with the support we now have. Its better than nothing at all.
But I have always believed that a job worth doing is worth doing right, and that has yet to be done.

sig not found
Thursday, February 01, 2007 9:29 PM
I have to agree with Todd.

I am a little pissed off at HPTUNERS right now - it has been basically stated the PCM cannot accept Axis Scaling... which I can accept.

What I cannot accept is why they cannot then just sit down and at LEAST re-scale the tables for us to 8200 rpm. This would make a world of difference for me from 6800 - redline. Yet they refuse to do it and I'm almost certain it wouldn't take them much effort to give 100% of us with these PCM's an added benefit that we actually need.

I also cannot accept that they refuse to at least offer a 2 bar upgrade to the pre2k PCM's.... the GMSC Reflash calibration clearly has a 2 bar map on it for spark can they not at least offer us the option of spending an extra credit to re-scale the charts to accept 2 bars of data? Do I REALLY need to squeeze 3 bars of map information into the space of a 1 bar? GM did all the frickin work with the GMSC Tune can they not just follow it and apply the same to the pre2k PCM's? I'm not asking for Map Vs Rpm tuning here (god forbid) I just want 2 bars of resolution to tune on. Jeeze.

The more I use the software the more I realize its limitations and the more pissed off I get. There are many features I know they will NEVER give us including autotune or livetuning... and what ticks me off the most is I paid the same price as the guy beside me only they went and coded in all the features for them.

I can appreciate what HPTUNERS has done for the J-body community, they gave us something that we wanted, but they only gave us half of what we NEEDED.

If I cannot at least manage spark and timing from 6800 rpm - my new max redline of 8200 rpm's then what the heck is the point of even raising it? It's like playing russian roulette with my engine which, I'm sorry folks, I'm not willing to play games with.

I just don't know anymore.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Thursday, February 01, 2007 10:01 PM
Why not just throw in the towel and go Megasquirt? You already have HPT to eliminate codes and control spark.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Thursday, February 01, 2007 11:01 PM
Brian Whalen wrote:Why not just throw in the towel and go Megasquirt? You already have HPT to eliminate codes and control spark.

You mean control spark to 6800 rpm.

... see the issue.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Friday, February 02, 2007 4:30 AM
use megasquirt to run uel and spark and use hpt to shut off the sensors that would throw codes

Friday, February 02, 2007 6:20 AM
Mr. Cake wrote:use megasquirt to run uel and spark and use hpt to shut off the sensors that would throw codes

If I wanted to wire in a piggyback or assemble it from scratch I would have done that in the first place.

How many MORE bandaids does a J-body have to stick on to get this done? This was supposed to be an all in one solution.... whatever.

Standalone is the clear choice here.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Friday, February 02, 2007 10:39 AM
SweetnessGT wrote:
Mr. Cake wrote:use megasquirt to run uel and spark and use hpt to shut off the sensors that would throw codes

If I wanted to wire in a piggyback or assemble it from scratch I would have done that in the first place.

How many MORE bandaids does a J-body have to stick on to get this done? This was supposed to be an all in one solution.... whatever.

Standalone is the clear choice here.

-Chris-

I see what you mean.

Friday, February 02, 2007 10:47 AM
well,better then what hpt gave us 2.2 cobalts, basically we got a door in the face. thats ok though since we have better companys starting to step up to the plate now

Friday, February 02, 2007 11:21 AM
i posted in the thread...

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Friday, February 02, 2007 6:00 PM
SweetnessGT wrote:I have to agree with Todd.

I am a little pissed off at HPTUNERS right now - it has been basically stated the PCM cannot accept Axis Scaling... which I can accept.

The only way that it would be true that the PCM could not be rescaled is if it were hard coded in a Rom chip in the PCM.
I cannot prove or disprove that or anything like that.
I can say it goes against all my experiences with most PCMs, so I choose not to believe them.
I can say that we can see it actually being done with the SC reflash, so I choose not to believe them.

So I cannot "accept" them at their word.
I can accept that they will never bother to remedy the situation.
And I am happy to have the capabilities I got from them because backdating everything to 95 only works for half of what I want to do, anyway.
The system is not useless, even for timing. How much timing change do you really expect to need from 6800 on up anyway. Everything I do is always the same up there for all rpm even if I do have the possibilty of changing it.

sig not found
Friday, February 02, 2007 7:52 PM
This may be way wrong but if it was hardcoded then how was it possible to make a GMSC reflash and along the same lines how is it possible for us to reflash a 2k+ 1bar system to a 2 bar system using hpt. I call

Friday, February 02, 2007 7:54 PM
FWIW I just read the HPT thread. Chris' (from HPT) answer makes sense based on what I know of GM code. In the OBDI systems the table size is defined in the table. The minimum and maximum range of the table are hard coded in, and the number of "steps" between max and min are determined by dividing the number of table rows or columns into the range needed. To re-scale the table you need to change the max value, the min value, the section of code which does the division, or all three. And in order to add more entries to the table you need to physically move all of the code which resides after the table. After this many of the instructions in the code will refer to information that's been moved, so all the instructions must be changed to point to the correct new locations. It can be not too hard, but it isn't something which should be done without some way to make sure everything is moved correctly.

If the table scaling is contained in the calibration section as variables then the code is already written to allow the table sizes to be redefined without moving code.

Is there a value called something like the "extended rpm slope?" That would determine your timing after the top line of the spark table is reached.

-->Slow
Friday, February 02, 2007 9:11 PM
Wrench Monkey wrote:This may be way wrong but if it was hardcoded then how was it possible to make a GMSC reflash and along the same lines how is it possible for us to reflash a 2k+ 1bar system to a 2 bar system using hpt. I call

Because its a different OS, not just a different calibration...

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, February 03, 2007 12:12 AM
protomec wrote:
SweetnessGT wrote:I have to agree with Todd.

The only way that it would be true that the PCM could not be rescaled is if it were hard coded in a Rom chip in the PCM.
I cannot prove or disprove that or anything like that.
I can say it goes against all my experiences with most PCMs, so I choose not to believe them.
I can say that we can see it actually being done with the SC reflash, so I choose not to believe them.

So I cannot "accept" them at their word.
I can accept that they will never bother to remedy the situation.
And I am happy to have the capabilities I got from them because backdating everything to 95 only works for half of what I want to do, anyway.
The system is not useless, even for timing. How much timing change do you really expect to need from 6800 on up anyway. Everything I do is always the same up there for all rpm even if I do have the possibilty of changing it.

Todd, I agree the values probably won't change, if anything for timing - it's more the fuel issue. I'll be expecting with the cams, head and turbocharger the ve will be increasing as rpm increases now as compared to stock...

I just don't like the concept of a dead area. But as you said yes it seems they simply did what they did for us and have considered the project "done". To me it only seems half done but in that sense I only have maybe 1/100th of your experience in the area so I cannot say much.

Slowolej - no we do not have a chart like that. Basically everything stops dead at 6800 rpm.

I can now re-read my previous response and retract my statement the system is useless - it has MANY uses. Many... and I do use quite a few of those functions... but as far as boost and above-stock RPM ranges, the system isn't anywhere useful as it could be. If I had a 2000+ car at >14.7 psi HPT would be 100% ideal but I am not so fortunate and so I am left searching for more boxes of bandaids....

Can I make it work? More than likely the question is how much more gear do I want strapped to my car to achieve the same result?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search