MSD Delphi MEFI4 - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
MSD Delphi MEFI4
Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:02 PM
anybody have any experiance with these, looks like there is a ecotec harness that you could get.

http://www.msdfuelinjection.com/mefi4.html

Re: MSD Delphi MEFI4
Friday, March 30, 2007 10:07 PM
I think MSD just came out with it. It does say right on the website that it's compatible for the ecotec L61. I guess someones just going to have to try it to find out. the upscale version, the blaster, runs about $1500 so I'd say the Delphi MEFI4 probably will cost more than $800.
Saturday, March 31, 2007 9:35 PM
This is cooler than sliced bread

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Monday, April 02, 2007 1:18 PM
Looks like the same work as a Megasquirt installation but for 3 times the money.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I know it can come with a harness but using an MS as a full standalone you can just splice the wires into the factory harness, so.........20minutes and 30 T-clamps and your set!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, April 02, 2007 1:50 PM
Wednesday, April 04, 2007 11:16 AM
I have the same setup...... minus it being painted Red and the MSD sticker...... also have software and a wire harness for it. I just never got around to installing it on the drag car....

The MEFI4 also uses all GM sensors, so its a basic plug and play setup...... The connectors for the ecm are VERY close to the same connectors that the '95 OBD-1 Jbodies use. I would take this setup over MS anyday.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 11:29 AM
too bad it's not OBD-II...

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 11:29 AM
So wait, what does this mean for the Jbody croud?

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 11:43 AM
complete standalone from what I understand, but not good for emissions.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 12:28 PM
Megasuirt > than plug and play gimmics

But seriously MS FTW!!!!!!
Wednesday, April 04, 2007 6:30 PM
Some GM calibrations are developed using MEFI controllers. MEFI is dang near watertight and close to bulletproof, too. Comes fully assembled. Very capable controller, not at all a gimmick.

I first posted a link to a MEFI setup with tuning software for Ecotec several months ago.

-->Slow
Wednesday, April 04, 2007 7:17 PM
Eh......I wouldn't let some water proofing and harnesses convince me of buying a standalone that costs easily twice as much as a fully assembled and tested MS that can show that MEFI controller whos daddy with open source code and additional programmable triggers. Skys the limit with an MS, staged injection...no problem, variable pressure water injection with multiple injectors flawlessly controlled with whatever trigger you'd like, again...no problem. Yes, you can do all of that with additional add-ons with this MEFI controller but at what point have you just reached the same level of difficulty and wire splices as doing the MS in the first place? Sorry, I'm really not working for B&G here. I'm just saying keep it all in perspective, if being water tight is the deal breaker put the MS in zip-lock bag

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 7:21 PM
ok......

Saturday, February 19, 2011 10:07 AM
so i just saw this on the MSD website and was wondering if anyone had yet tried it out?

i realise that megasquirt is probably better but tuning and re-wiring the entire engine bay is pretty out of this world for me so anything i can just plug and play and go with is going to be MY best option.

my next question... since the discovery that we can pretty much run any j-body harness/ecu for any of our engines, does this mean it could potentially be a plug and play deal for an LD9 as well (since its for an L61 i mean).

would this even be worth it over say an HPT tune for an n/a setup?

If it takes forever.... I will die trying. Underdog Racing
Saturday, February 19, 2011 12:38 PM
well.... I've got 2 or 3 of the MEFI setups, just never put them to use yet. I have a laptop with the software on it as well. Some where I have a file from a turbocharged Ecotec on a sandrail, that was also using this setup......

Also, it has programmable channels........ boost settings, n2o, what ever you want.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 7:59 AM
oh wow. ever thought of selling a setup?

Monday, February 21, 2011 6:39 AM
Meh. It uses wideband in closed loop, I read that and basically decided right there that there are much better options for a stand alone.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, February 21, 2011 5:03 PM
care to explain why?

Monday, February 21, 2011 5:13 PM
Widebands just arent designed for closed loop control. A narrow band is a much better choice since they are much much more accurate at lambda 1. A wideband is a great tuning tool but using it for closed loop control is like putting an eaton m45 on a 500 ci big block.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, February 21, 2011 9:39 PM
A wideband response time is slower, but it is plenty fast for closed loop control of anything non-PE. I have used my wideband for the past 4 years with an AFR table in closed loop, and it works fine.

I have no signiture
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search