Cobalt SS/SC ECU in a Cav 2.2 eco - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cobalt SS/SC ECU in a Cav 2.2 eco
Thursday, April 12, 2007 2:58 PM
Well call me nuts, dumb, retarded, ETC.....

Ive been tuning a cobalt SS/SC and see that they have awesome capabilities with boost control and such. I know there is one key difference.

Fly by wire throttle control.
Fix, disable any codes that could be set with HPT. Doing this the TPS would still be in place it would just be a cable driven throttle body
Now my thought would be to pull ALL the wiring and redo the entire wiring including the gauge cluster with teh cobalt stuff.

Reason i am bringin this up is ive talked to a couple ECO j owners who want to tune there car in boost with hpt and with the Jbodies ECO ecm its possible just not the greatest way about doing it with the fake 2 bar and such.

Heres why i think its possible. Pulling all the wiring from donor and i mean everything, from bumper to bumper and transplanting it to the cav making it easier to do then trying to repin the wiring harness at the ECM.

After typing all that i found 1 for sure kink in this swap and that would be the Multifunction switch, aka blinker control.

Questions, comments and all others please....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, April 12, 2007 3:03 PM

Re: Cobalt SS/SC ECU in a Cav 2.2 eco
Thursday, April 12, 2007 7:47 PM
If you could make an adapter harness to splice in with the exception of the cluster it make make things a little bit easier. You would have to pull both harnesses, 5spd, Cav and SS, diagram and find out what corresponds, what isn't provisioned for, etc. A lot of work but not impossible.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 8:44 PM
BlackEco wrote:If you could make an adapter harness to splice in with the exception of the cluster it make make things a little bit easier. You would have to pull both harnesses, 5spd, Cav and SS, diagram and find out what corresponds, what isn't provisioned for, etc. A lot of work but not impossible.

Thats what i was also looking at.

On a side note this really isnt for me its just to get ppl thinking about other ways to go about tuning a boosted ecotec without going to a full standalone. If i had a ecotec i would surely try to adapt the cobalt ecm.

Saturday, April 14, 2007 7:40 AM
ive thought of this also but i just thought why not use they fly by wire set up since ur goin that far as swaping wiring and such, like if anyone planned to use a cobalt motor like lsj, just swap over all wiring and pcm and youd have less problems than you would trying to use our pcm with it and have way more tuning ability

Saturday, April 14, 2007 7:47 AM
I have never looked at the ECU in a cobalt (note to self to do that next month at our meet), but do they not have the same hook up connections as the Eco in the J's? I guess asking you can't swap the ECU (plug and play), and I realize even if you can it might not run the car, ormight be other issues as well. Just asking.

FU Tuning

Sunday, April 15, 2007 1:41 PM
The throttle body is the least of your problems the problem is the crankshaft has a different amount of teeth

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, April 15, 2007 1:49 PM
I looked at a Cobalt SS/SC yesterday (and drove it). The eCU has the same connectors as the 2.2 Ecotec does. So the ECU would swap out. Of course this does not mean it will run the car (probably won't), but if anyone has a friend with one, it would be worth a shot.

FU Tuning

Sunday, April 15, 2007 6:56 PM
Well I have a buddy with a saturn redline...maybe i'll try it tomorrow.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 8:31 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:The throttle body is the least of your problems the problem is the crankshaft has a different amount of teeth

are you talking about the ring for the crank position sensor?

Sunday, April 15, 2007 9:01 PM
02-05 L61 uses a 7x reluctor
all other Eco's use a 58x reluctor

I thought Cobalts and Ions had 3 connections on the ECU.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Sunday, April 15, 2007 10:35 PM
FReQ Z wrote:02-05 L61 uses a 7x reluctor

This right here stops everything... unless a LSJ was put in the car.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 11:23 PM
Wrench Monkey wrote:
FReQ Z wrote:02-05 L61 uses a 7x reluctor

This right here stops everything... unless a LSJ was put in the car.

this is kinda what I've been wondering. how well would a Cobalt/Ion motor and PCM work in a j-body? how would it work with the j-body BCM? it would probably be best to stick with a 5 speed, and someone would have to figure out the pinouts of the Cobalt/Ion PCM.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Monday, April 16, 2007 2:56 PM
you would need to swap in a LSJ

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Thursday, April 19, 2007 10:09 AM
Other then the crank sensor, it could be possible. Most of the issues Tom was thinking of has to deal with the BCM, not the ECM (MFS, Cluster....)

Even the Crank sensor issue can be worked around. On the 2.3/2.4 stroker, you need to relocate the CPS to get the correct Crank angle. This issue is just tooth count, and possible location. I'll have to go out to the garage and look at the CPS ring on the 2.2 Eco crank out there.

The ECM doesnt care what engine its controling, as long as all the needed inputs are there.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search