HPT VE Tuning - The Easy Way - Page 3 - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: HPT VE Tuning - The Easy Way
Friday, May 11, 2007 11:33 AM
2 things need to be edited in the sticky....

UP top, DFCO MUST BE DISABLED or it will skew your AFR % error artificially negative during decel logging

The following :
Quote:

In the VCM Editor
1. Select all the cells in the VE table, click in the first cell and drag all the way to the bottom right corner of the table.
2. Right click, Paste Special> Add

This will make people murder their VEs...

should read 2. Right click, paste Special>multiply %
and after your first pass or two, move to multiply % half

Saturday, May 12, 2007 10:19 PM
I've had DFCO turned off since I've been tuning. Most of the time, it will stay around the 11.5 mark in decel, but sometimes (mainly after I've been driving for a long time) it will shoot to 19-20:1 afr in decel. Any explaination??

And John02, THANK YOU!!!! Made perfect sense.

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Sunday, May 13, 2007 7:34 PM
2 things,

as far as DFCO goes, you need to use the scanner to log the switch points so you will know what to command to make it kick in at the proper point if you feel it is a bit late

the next is, it sounds like a rich VE or, more likely if you have swapped injectors, your minimum pulse width is too long at decel just before DFCO turns on. You guys don't get a ton of injector control, but you do get a pulse width Vs. map multipier. You are likely rich rich around the point of strongest vacuum and you need to lower that multiplier cell a bit. Lower the cell by about 20% and log decel.
Friday, June 29, 2007 11:45 AM
Is there any way to get a half descent tune without a wideband O2 sensor and the standard version of HPT? I have a 2000 2.4l with the GM supercharger running stock boost and a pacesetter header to 2.5 in exhaust. I still have the stock O2 sensor. I also have just a sunpro air fuel ratio gauge and I can see when I accelerate that it is running rich but it doesn't have a AFR number to go by. I have read many postings here on JBO and other sites and still not sure exactly which setting to change to lean out the AFR. Could I just lower the VE offset % by 1 percent and see how it runs or lower the PE Mult vs. RPM table a few notches and give it a run to see if it doesn't run as rich. The tune doesn't have to be exact but I'm looking for some better / cleaner acceleration. It drives good at cruise and decel so I don’t really need to change any of that. If anyone has any info or other tune files that may be close to my application that I can go by I would really appreciate it.
Thursday, August 30, 2007 5:25 AM
Is it possible that with the last version of HPT to put the PCM in open loop it like this??

Friday, August 31, 2007 7:14 AM
^ What kind of car is that? Its not a J-Body, so no, its not possible for us...

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, August 31, 2007 7:15 AM
Shifted wrote:^ What kind of car is that? Its not a J-Body, so no, its not possible for us...

oh sorry it a GMC sierra
Friday, August 31, 2007 7:35 AM
That box doesn't disable the closed loop operation, it just makes the ECU ignore the STFT's during open loop operation.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, April 07, 2008 8:49 AM
Anyone able to explain to me why i dont have the option "afr error" doesnt seem to work?

i can set it in my chart, but i get no readings when logging.

then if i do a histogram, i get errors saying that "the histogram is not supported with the current loaded parameters"

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 2:52 PM
DCStang67 wrote:I think I figured it out. In Shifteds instructions he says this

1. Select all the cells in the VE table, click in the first cell and drag all the way to the bottom right corner of the table.
2. Right click, Paste Special> Add

In the help section of HPTuners I found this
Switch to the SDStarter1.hpt file & open your main & secondary VE tables & paste special-multiply by % to the main & hand blend the surrounding unaffected cells.
This looks to me like it will do a better job. I will go and try it and see how it goes.

so what is the correct way to do this? ADD? or MULITPLY BY %?

Can someone update the original sticky with the correct info? alot of people arent going to read 3 pages of replies to find out that there are edits...

and anyone care to explain how or why we should do one or the other?
Friday, March 20, 2009 12:12 AM
DO NOT MULTIPLY BY % DO NOT MULTIPLY BY % DO NOT MULTIPLY BY % DO NOT MULTIPLY BY % DO NOT MULTIPLY BY % DO NOT MULTIPLY BY % DO NOT MULTIPLY BY % DO NOT MULTIPLY BY % DO NOT MULTIPLY BY % DO NOT MULTIPLY BY % DO NOT MULTIPLY BY % DO NOT MULTIPLY BY % DO NOT MULTIPLY BY %

Trust me i learned the HARD way... I read this FAQ... heard how "adding murders your VE tables" so i became an avid multiplier... but always wondered why it seemed like the more i tuned it, the further out of whack it got. I have probably done 30+ tuning runs, each time multipliying... and could never get things quite right....

Just recently spoke to shifted himself about this and he told me.....

Shifted wrote:We should NOT multiply by. That would be if you are VE tuning a MAF based table, You don't want to multiply your VE table by the error in the signal, you want to add it.

For example, if your fuel trims in the VE table are -10, if you multiply by, you are introducing a HUGE error in the wrong direction. If you add then you are doing the right thing by moving the table in the direction that the trim is.

So i tried that... within 2 runs my AFR Errors were almost 0's across the board. and my cars runs better than it ever has.

So follow the original Directions posted by Shifted. IGNORE THE REPLIES ABOUT MULTIPLY BY AND MURDERING VE''s
oh watch out... the histograms in the link for download are missing a few columns... just edit the histogram once loaded and add the missing columns into the list.

There are also a number of "filters" that you can add to the histograms to skim out alot of the bad data and get you all tuned up in a hurry.

If i get a few minutes i will post up some of the histograms i made that seem to have worked pretty well for me.

Monday, July 20, 2009 9:37 PM
thank you for all the info im gonna try and log tmrw

8 psi with m62 and IAT under 100
Wednesday, September 09, 2009 9:29 PM
Flat out AMAZING.. This is perfect.. Thank you thank you.. haha

SuNnY-T
Wednesday, March 03, 2010 7:36 PM
Anyone have the histograms Shifted had listed? I noticed 4cyltuner is down. I just got HPTuners recently and am learning on a Hybrid LD9.

Thanks.

...one of the org's original autocrossers.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 7:57 PM
Nick I made a post on the tuning forum for us . In the title I asked if 4cylindertuner was gone for good .

Windy City TurboZ
Wednesday, March 17, 2010 6:06 PM
Very frustrated with the lack of help in the jbody community.

Windy City TurboZ
Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:52 PM
Dragracemyz24 wrote:Very frustrated with the lack of help in the jbody community.

Your Not the only one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03 Chevy Cavalier $1500.00
Turbo T3/4 $100.00
Inter-cooler $40.00
Kicking your $10,000 cars ass $ priceless $
Thursday, May 20, 2010 6:20 PM
David Jackman wrote:
Dragracemyz24 wrote:Very frustrated with the lack of help in the jbody community.

Your Not the only one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You dug your grave @sshole, now die in it... Many of us gave you 100% accurate information with proof, and all you want to do is try to debunk it and think you are smarter than everybody else... Dragracemyz24 will tell you, I am not a bullsh!tter... I helped him out and he took my advice. He is now in a much better place.... You need to change your last name to Jackoff...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Friday, July 02, 2010 1:03 PM
To bring this thread back, does anyone know where to find the histograms, or have then and can get them hosted?

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Sunday, February 13, 2011 12:53 PM
Does anyone have histograms on LSJ injector swap. I am getting retuned with these injectors and want to make sure my tuner doesn't miss anything. I appreciate it.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:55 AM
02ECOTECIMPORTKILLER wrote:Does anyone have histograms on LSJ injector swap. I am getting retuned with these injectors and want to make sure my tuner doesn't miss anything. I appreciate it.
Your question makes no sence.... What exactly are you trying to ask?

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Thursday, February 17, 2011 11:21 AM
Lol. What I meant to ask is, can anyone offer me a tune file using
lsj injectors? My tune is postponed as I had header and exhaust leaks. I just bought
New exhaust (2.5 inch piping) and header. My tuner says with my existing tune tune
It will be easier to update the ecu with bigger injectors. Things like command Afr should be
13 to 13.5 with lsj injectors. PE set to zero rpm etc. Tuner is a gm pro but with corvettes and camaro
etc. 02 ecu is tricky to tune. I just hope he knows what he should to get me max power. SO,
can anyone throw any info my way please. I've read a lot if tuning posts and have collected good info
to present to the tuner as back up. Now that im getting bigger exhaust as well, I just want a really good street
tune as I was really trying to get max use of my le5 mani. I tuned the Mani with stock injectors. Thanks

?

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:49 PM
Nick Carney (AutoXZ24) wrote:Anyone have the histograms Shifted had listed? I noticed 4cyltuner is down. I just got HPTuners recently and am learning on a Hybrid LD9.

Thanks.
bump it would be nice or a how to configure a histogram

see ya!

Sunday, May 22, 2011 2:36 PM
ken soggs wrote:DO NOT MULTIPLY BY % DO NOT MULTIPLY BY % DO NOT MULTIPLY BY % DO NOT MULTIPLY BY % DO NOT MULTIPLY BY % DO NOT MULTIPLY BY % DO NOT MULTIPLY BY % DO NOT MULTIPLY BY % DO NOT MULTIPLY BY % DO NOT MULTIPLY BY % DO NOT MULTIPLY BY % DO NOT MULTIPLY BY % DO NOT MULTIPLY BY

Hey Ken I have a question. I currently don't have a Wideband yet but I will be getting one soon. For the time being I just started tuning my cruise/non PE VE tuning with a custom histogram which looks at the cars VE- Low RPM Double Fire vs Long Tirm Fuel Trims

I copy the data from my scan and have been doing the paste special Multiply By % when its really off and as I get closer to 0 I do the past special Multiply by -half %.

Should I rather be doing the Add vs Multiply like you state for VE tuning with a wideband?

See I am used to doing the Multiply with my other car that has a MAF table to tune and not VE.

So should I add or Multiply the scan data for non PE tuning with a narrowband?

2000 Buick Regal GSE - "Gods Grocery Getter is powered by an L67 3800" - 333WHP
12.900 @ 109.91mph 2.166 60Ft (Fastest 1/4)
13.374 @ 110.01mph 2.467 60Ft (Fastest Trap)

2004 Chevy Cavalier - 15.7 @ 90mph (Semi-Modded)
Thursday, November 03, 2011 12:29 PM
does anyone still have the histogram setup for this

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search