Coming soon... - Page 8 - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Coming soon...
Tuesday, October 23, 2007 10:08 PM
FReQ Z wrote:awesome. the Eco guys are sure going to love you.

yes!

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 7:24 PM
Im definitly watching this thread with great anticipation.... I'd love to s/c my 97... but the only thing that is holding me back is tuning it..

I really DONT wanna run an FMU

1994 Ford Mustang Cobra

1997 Sunfire GT
Thursday, October 25, 2007 4:23 AM
Listening

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:33 AM
Here's a little bit of the software development plan, for the ECU firmware:

1. Develop the low level drivers, these drivers include
- Pulse Width Modulation (Completed)
- Controller Area Network
- Timer System
- Media Card Interface
- USB
- Two Wire Interface
- USART for Serial
- SSC
- Analog to Digital Converter
- Serial Peripheral Interface
- Advanced Interrupt Controller
- Debug Unit
- Programmable I/O (In Progress)
- Power Management
- Reset Controller
- Shutdown Controller
- Real Time Timer
- Programmable Interrupt Timer
- Watch Dog Timer
- Main Clock

2. Develop High Level Drivers, including:
- Injector Driver
- Ignition Driver
- J1850 Driver
- Accessories Driver
- Crank Position Driver
- Cam Position Driver
- Oxygen Sensor Feedback Driver
- Others

3. Develop the "OS" This is what ties everything together.

After that's complete, and working, then the Windows software should follow.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, October 25, 2007 12:02 PM
Here is a webpage so people can keep up on the status of the development as it continues. There are a lot of items on the list, but the low level drivers are really ports of existing code, so each one only takes a couple of hours at the most.

http://www.shiftedtuning.com/ShiftedECU.htm

Thursday, October 25, 2007 12:06 PM
bookmarked...

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Thursday, October 25, 2007 8:40 PM
so whats your tentative completion date.

if its too long I might just have to MS my car

1994 Ford Mustang Cobra

1997 Sunfire GT
Friday, October 26, 2007 4:58 AM
December to start beta testing, but I'm not making any promises.

Friday, October 26, 2007 8:19 AM
Shifted wrote:December to start beta testing, but I'm not making any promises.

Shifted, if you need any help assembling circuits or anything don't be afraid to ask us houston J's. As an engineering student, the experience could only be beneficial You might have to teach me a few things though.
Friday, October 26, 2007 8:30 AM
Thanks David, I'll let you know. Right now the problem isn't assembly, its finding somebody who is good at circuit board layout and then finding a prototype shop that won't charge me most of my manhood. I have the circuit design pretty much done, I just need to have it laid out on a board.

Friday, October 26, 2007 8:38 AM
try these guys Ron?

http://www.expresspcb.com/index.htm

looks like they have free PCB layout software. I'll download it here at work and play with it.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Friday, October 26, 2007 8:44 AM
I have a very expensive layout and schematic software, called Proteus from http://www.labcenter.co.uk/ . Its pretty easy to use, but I haven't really done any board layouts before.

Friday, October 26, 2007 10:00 PM
ok im going to ask a dumb question here....will this be able to use a 2 and 3 bar map sensor? meaning we wont have to "fake" it..phil
Saturday, October 27, 2007 5:51 AM
Philly D wrote:ok im going to ask a dumb question here....will this be able to use a 2 and 3 bar map sensor? meaning we wont have to "fake" it..phil

you should be able to use anything as this is going to be a programable system, not limited by the factory ECM

1994 Ford Mustang Cobra

1997 Sunfire GT
Saturday, October 27, 2007 8:16 AM
Philly D wrote:ok im going to ask a dumb question here....will this be able to use a 2 and 3 bar map sensor? meaning we wont have to "fake" it..phil

Yeah, you could pretty much go as far as you wanted, even above 3 bar.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 7:39 PM
Sweet..ill be impatiently awaiting it to be done..
Wednesday, October 31, 2007 7:28 AM
Hey Ron, couple of questions. I've been trying to completely get rid of my PCM so I can run just my Tec3 and have run into a few snags along the way (some of this may need to be addressed in your new setup).

1. Will this regulate the Alternator like the stock PCM or will the Alternator need to be rebuilt with an internal regulator?

2. Will this run the EVAP system?

3. Will this eliminate the VAT's? Some people may still want this in place. (I could care less).

4. Will this run EGR?

5. Will this work with stock 7x crank position AND the 60-2 on the newer Eco's And would it work with an aftermarket 60-2 crank trigger?

6. Can the Table size be increased to 32x32 (250 rpm increments starting at 250 and ending at 8000)? Or will the 16x16 table (rpm and kPa) values be customizable?

7. Did you find 80 pin cavities so this will be straight plug and play?

8. Will there still be some repinning required to bring all harnesses to one common wiring configuration. Say all '97-'98 and '99's will be repinned to a '2000 pinout configuration?

9. Will this have injector drivers that will work with both high and low impedance injectors?

10. Would it be possible to have a "gear selectable boost" like the Apexi AVC r?

I'm sure you've got a lot on your plate so just chime in at your leisure. I'm sure I'll come up with some more?'s later .

You might also look at this post about the 5volt ref. wire http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=64&i=11639&t=11639 it might be of some concern to you...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, October 31, 2007 8:18 AM

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Wednesday, October 31, 2007 3:43 PM
^

1. Yes, as soon as I put a scope on the wires and figure out what its doing exactly.

2. Yup

3. It will, but it will also have a replacement for the vats, such as a keycode or plug-in FOB.

4. Yup

5. Yeah, 58x crank sensor won't be a problem, and anything that can generate either a 7x signal or 58x signal. It'll probably be adjustable so it can do anything in between that.

6. I don't think I will make the tables that big, but there will be separate NA and boost tables around 16x16.

7. No, unfortunately I didn't, I would have loved to find them, but I couldn't.

8. Yeah, since I couldn't find the cavities for the stock 80 pin, everybody will have to repin to a common connector.

9. Yup

10. I could do it with the auto trans, but I don't think I could do it with the 5 speed. It would require that I had a "gear sensor" somewhere on the transmission or shifter. There will definately be a boost-ramp feature though, and can be linked to speed, RPM, or some other sensors.

Thursday, November 01, 2007 5:18 AM
Quote:

10. I could do it with the auto trans, but I don't think I could do it with the 5 speed. It would require that I had a "gear sensor" somewhere on the transmission or shifter. There will definately be a boost-ramp feature though, and can be linked to speed, RPM, or some other sensors.

I'm not sure how they do it with the AVC r, there are wires tapped into TPS,Speed Output,RPM,and the typical power and grounds. then you drive the car at a steady speed,rpm in 1st gear,press the learn button,then 2nd gear steady speed,rpm,press learn,ect. up to 5 speeds. From then on the unit can extrapolate what gear your in and hold to a preset boost.

I'll see what I can find out on the 80 pin cavities if you want.

"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Thursday, November 01, 2007 7:12 AM
If you could find anything about that I'd appreciate it.

Thursday, November 01, 2007 10:16 AM
I talked to a guy from Amkor Technologies that I do some off the books machine work for and he said the male connectors are proprietary for Delphi and you won't find them anywhere. They basicly use 4 40 pin headers and the cast aluminum case is just to hold the 4 males.

He said the easiest way to do it would be to make a deal with a salvage yard for a quantity of old ECU's and disassemble them,desolder the fronts (all 132pins) make your board fit there case and sale the board with the fronts re soldered to your board and then it would be up to the customer to put it in there case.

Sounds like it would be easier to find new male and female connectors and have the customer repin their harness.

Thursday, November 01, 2007 12:37 PM
^ I've already found replacement cases and new connectors. I know you can find the female side of the connector on Mouser's website, but the male end is next to impossible for the reason you stated. I'm certainly not up for desoldering 132 connectors, lol.

Friday, November 02, 2007 9:37 AM
Just got back from the alternator shop. The old guy (yea older then me) said that the grey wire is an exciter wire to tell the internal regulator in the alt. to "turn on" and the brown wire is just a power wire to turn on the charge light on the dash.

He said to just run a 12v feed wire that is hot in "RUN" to wake up the regulator to the grey wire and call it a day. He said "Look around here. We don't have a computer for every car made setting around here. That's the way we do'em to test'em."

I'll post this in my post so if someone need's to know it'll be there too.

Friday, November 02, 2007 9:50 AM
Premium membership expired last night and hasn't updated yet so I can't edit.

Quote:

He said to just run a 12v feed wire that is hot in "RUN" to wake up the regulator to the grey wire and call it a day. He said "Look around here. We don't have a computer for every car made setting around here. That's the way we do'em to test'em."

Should say...

He said to just run a 12v feed wire that is hot in "RUN" to wake up the regulator to the grey wire on the alt. plug and call it a day. He said "Look around here. We don't have a computer for every car made setting around here. That's the way we do'em to test'em."

Friday, November 02, 2007 10:49 AM
This might be a bit presumptuous but what kind of specs do i need for a laptop to run this when it is done. I want to pick one up when i have the money and just want something that will be able to run it..
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search