ECU/ Wiring Dilemma-- HELP !!! :D - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ECU/ Wiring Dilemma-- HELP !!! :D
Tuesday, September 25, 2007 10:05 AM
Hey all...

For this years winter project, I am swapping in a 5 speed into my auto 97 2.4.

I found a donor car and picked it up this last weekend... The only problem, I didn't realize the car is a 96 and I won't be able to tune it using my HPTuners !!! I would have been using the ECU and engine wiring harness out of the 5 speed car...

I shouldn't have an issue finding a newer ECU (97-99) to put in the car, but Im wondering if the 96 wiring harness will work? Im not concerned w/ the EGR- just mainly the plugs actually going into the ECU.. I know I will have a hard time finding a whole engine harness & matching ECU to swap in.

If anyone has any info on this, please let me know..

Thanks!
-marc

Re: ECU/ Wiring Dilemma-- HELP !!! :D
Tuesday, September 25, 2007 10:46 AM
The harness will work, but if the ECU harness has 3 plugs then you will have to repin the harness and put the 2 long style plugs on it. You can use the plugs from an auto car if you want.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 10:51 AM
Interesting...

I'll have to check the harness on the 5 speed to see how many plugs it has...

I've never repinned a harness before- I guess that would be better than going through and splicing & soldering all the connections though..

Thanks for the info Ron... My heart sunk when I found out the car was a 96 !

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 11:13 AM
^ Not really easier

The problem is the connectors are roughly $70 each. Thats without the pins or rubber inserts. A pin kit with the rubber inserts for 160 pins (each connector is 80 pins) will probably run about $100. So all said and done, $240 for repinning supplies. After that you will have to cut the wires off of each lead, then apply the pin and stick it into the right hole on the new connector. Don't mess up, because if the pin gets stuck, the wire gets stuck and they can't be removed, just cut off. To me, it would be easier to just cut the long connectors off a harness leaving 6-8" of wire, then splice, solder, and heat shrink each one.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search