Knock Retard - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Knock Retard
Monday, June 29, 2009 8:11 PM
Hello all

I have read through all the posts about KR

Im pretty sure my new 5 spd LD9 car ive built is suffering from false knock

Im getting upto and holding 6 KR in different rev ranges

Im running LZM upper and Lower mounts and Prothane Trans mounts

Pacesetter header to stock exhaust - Could this cause KR ? Im sure the restrictive exhaust isnt helping

Any other tips about solving KR ? Rubber washer on the sensor?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, June 29, 2009 8:12 PM

Re: Knock Retard
Monday, June 29, 2009 8:57 PM
Are you using HP tuners? Is this on a stock tune? If so, I might be able to help ya out... what kind of gas are you getting? if you are running a consistant knock on a stock tune.... somethings not right... youre having something causing that false sound frequency that the sensor is picking up, or a bad sensor all together. When did it start doing this?
Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:41 PM
This is the car im working with

http://www.j-body.org/members/suicide/cars/3/

If you wanna PM me your MSN or Email i can get you my Log if you have HPT ?

Wednesday, July 01, 2009 6:25 AM
I am having the same problem. My knock is low in the low rpms and usually stays around 4-6 in the higher rpms. I think its phantom knock. Also my AFR's are around 12.2-12.6 right now(still tuning). And my timing advance is around 16-18. I have TTR upper, lower, all around as well...

Also, are you having a problem with your commanded AFR? Mine is set at 13.0 and goes down to 12.6 in the higher RPMs.

Wednesday, July 01, 2009 8:27 AM
jmarks82 wrote:I am having the same problem. My knock is low in the low rpms and usually stays around 4-6 in the higher rpms. I think its phantom knock. Also my AFR's are around 12.2-12.6 right now(still tuning). And my timing advance is around 16-18. I have TTR upper, lower, all around as well...

Also, are you having a problem with your commanded AFR? Mine is set at 13.0 and goes down to 12.6 in the higher RPMs.
Thats not what I set it at.... This must be on the other car (not the one I tuned for you).....

***Edit**** Just got off the phone with John,... This is for the other car (not the one I tuned)... John, send me a log, and a file(and mods). Let me help you get this car dialed in too...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, July 01, 2009 5:20 PM
command AFR..... once in open loop....(when your boosting) means dick.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Monday, July 13, 2009 11:27 PM
bump. im having some nasty knock issues as well. like all across my rpm range mostly in 3rd gear tho. i logged at the track in OH and logged today and im seeing a lot of knock. is there anything you guys have found that should be a checking point or?

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 7:27 AM
Im still getting this also

Saturday, July 18, 2009 10:55 PM
i havnt drove it yet but will having solid mounts hurt, ive always wonderd bout the issue wit the knock sensor
Sunday, July 19, 2009 9:51 AM
i have solid mounts and dont have a problem

12.33 @ 111.67 mph [Oct 2009]
Dyno'd on 08/02/09 - Mustang Dyno:
327.6 WHP 333.6 WTQ [10.1 AFR]
Sunday, July 19, 2009 3:04 PM
You also have an Eco

This is more of a LD9 issue

Sunday, July 19, 2009 10:09 PM
I'm not suggesting this method for any particular reason or situation, but you can trick your computer by: getting inline resistors from Radio Shack or somewhere comparable and installing one in the wiring between the sensor and the ECU. It may take some time to find the right resistance, but it worked for me back in the day.

If you use too large of a resistance it will throw a code since the computer thinks the sensor is broke, and if you too little resistance it will have little to know effect on the signal passing to the ECU.
Tuesday, August 04, 2009 6:18 PM
Anybody bump up to 93 octane to eliminate the knock?
I was running 4-6 degrees of knock and once I got the premium fuel in the car, pretty much alleviated anymore knock.
I'll still occasionally get about 1-3 on some occasions but they'll eventually be tuned out with HPT.
Just curious though.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 6:54 PM
What kind of IATs are you guys seeing? Also, are you only seeing this in WOT or all over? LD9 are kinda known for having phantom knock. Another thing we don't have going for us is the lack of a tip in retard...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 9:04 AM
Misnblu wrote:Anybody bump up to 93 octane to eliminate the knock?
I was running 4-6 degrees of knock and once I got the premium fuel in the car, pretty much alleviated anymore knock.
I'll still occasionally get about 1-3 on some occasions but they'll eventually be tuned out with HPT.
Just curious though.

I dynoed with 94 Octane and was seeing a lot of knock. Can't remember how many degrees tho

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, August 05, 2009 11:22 AM
On the DD i usually see anywhere from 3-6 all through the rpm range with the afr around 12.5-7. Total Advance is around 18-20* We will see how the new motor does...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search