OIL SUPPLY FOR REAR MOUNTED - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
OIL SUPPLY FOR REAR MOUNTED
Wednesday, August 05, 2009 4:29 PM
Im moving along pretty well with my rear mounted setup. The part i'm not fimilar with is oil feed and return for the turbo. I have found scavange pumps to pump it back to the engine, but how and what do I tap into to send oil to the turbo? I dont want to mess any of this up because besides having it tuned right, this is the 2nd most important part IMO. Thanks for the suggestions.

3400 SWAP DONE. 187WHP 212TQ (14.2 @100MPH NA) 240WHP 310TQ (N2O)

Re: OIL SUPPLY FOR REAR MOUNTED
Wednesday, August 05, 2009 5:45 PM
oops I clicked the wrong fourm... move me please!

3400 SWAP DONE. 187WHP 212TQ (14.2 @100MPH NA) 240WHP 310TQ (N2O)

Sunday, August 09, 2009 7:23 PM
Check this thread... Its about my wife's rear mount install. All here line is steel braided with the exception of the small section off the turbo to the pump (its reinforced/hi psi hydraulic hose)... As for tapping for oil supply, its just like any other turbo kit..... I also hope you didn't cheap out on the pump....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:15 AM
Agreed:

Remote-mount setups get their oil the same way any other setup does. Tap the block, run a braided/metal line and connect it to the feed port. Also agreed on the pump: this can easily make or break the build. If a cheap pump fails, you may never know until it's too late.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:27 PM
I used a $100 shurflo pump (which I've heard is hit or miss). I tapped the Valve cover for return (yeah I'm that lazy).

And It's 100% critical to get a turbo timer to run the pump after shut off, or maybe run a rear sump. Or your car will smoke like mad untill the oil pushes out of your intake tract. Since I installed that It's been functioning flawlessly.

Listen F***ers. FASTERTHANAHONDA is a joke because I WORK FOR HONDA. I'll talk @!#$ about Fords to, that doesn't mean I can beat a 12 second mustang.
Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:26 AM
Here's what we did to oil our STS setup.

A 2 Quart tank in the back with a external pump, pumped the oil to the turbo and used a return line to get it back to the 2 quart tank.
After all why run your oil for your turbo off a hot motor, when you can run it cold from the tank instead.
Tuesday, August 25, 2009 5:10 AM
C Smyth wrote:Here's what we did to oil our STS setup.

A 2 Quart tank in the back with a external pump, pumped the oil to the turbo and used a return line to get it back to the 2 quart tank.
After all why run your oil for your turbo off a hot motor, when you can run it cold from the tank instead.

thats not that bad of an idea. run an oil cooler before the pump and it may even be cool oil.. hmmmmm

horsepower is how hard you hit the wall, Torque is how far you push the wall with you
Tuesday, September 01, 2009 10:01 AM
C Smyth wrote:Here's what we did to oil our STS setup.

Thats smart thinking!

GMR has got nothing on this
Saturday, September 05, 2009 10:30 AM
LOL.....to me that is more common sense then smart thinking. I have always wondered why people run oil lines all the way down the car and back.... What I've done in the past is run two tanks...source oil above the turbo..or just higher than the turbo and a sink/sump tank below the turbo..or lower than the turbo outlet then put a positive displacement scavenge pump between the two tanks. O and an oil restriction orifice on the turbo inlet, pressure caps on the oil tanks and a electronic solenoid valve on the turbo inlet line . What this does is give you several benefits fold. 1st, the larger source tank has a larger volume that the sink tank and is the pump fails the oil will gravity feed slowly thru the turbo until the smaller tank fills, mix this with a pump failure light in the dash and you have enough time to get off the road safely and avoid losing your turbo. 2nd, a positive displacement pump will pump air, so after shut down, the scavenge pump will pull vacuum on the bottom tank and pressurize the top tank once the solenoid valve is closed after engine turn off. So, once the car is turned back on the solenoid valve can be triggered off your hot in acc/start/run output and you will have instantaneous oil pressure on your turbo once you key it since the top tank will blow down thru the turbo into the sump tank. So you can have your pump turn on in hot in run and your solenoid kick on in acc/run/start and you can oil prime your turbo.

I personally hate the idea of a remote on a 4cyl, I know the OP is doing this on a multi-head engine so I can see the benefit on a remote to some extent..or just ease rather. I did this install on a V8 Camaro and it worked flawlessly...a little bit over the top, but that's how I do everything...lol. I also didn't run an oil cooler...we had room to fit large tanks and made them out of aluminum and put some heatsinks on the bottom of the return tank....small heatsinks...but effective. We also put the primary tank in the trunk...worked great and had a nice oil fill access too with sight gauge.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Saturday, September 05, 2009 11:16 AM
I always wanted to try a 3400 swap with rear mount turbo in my 99. Glad to see someone doing it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search