MS-II to MS-II Extra problem - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
MS-II to MS-II Extra problem
Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:56 AM
Before I start, for reference, I have a N/A hybrid quad4 with 30lb injectors. The first injector bank wire is connected to cylinders 1&4 and the second bank to 2&3.

I don't know how many on here have gone from the Megasquirt-II frimware to the MS-II Extra, but for those who have, I have a bit of a problem. I changed over to the Extra code about a year and a half ago, and had an issue with the tune. I set everything up in megatune exactly like I had with the MSII code, but for whatever reason, the engine would have trouble idling. When it did idle , it would idle in the 9's or 10's AFR and when you bring up the map to near 100KPA, it maxed out my wideband on the lean side (16.0 AFR).

As of now, I have dialed everything in where it runs fine... but to do that, I had to bring WOT fuel pressure back down to 43psi from about 50-55psi, change injections per engine cycle from 4 to 2 and I had to dial back the idle VE to around 16% from (if I remember correctly) 35%, which gives me next to no resolution at idle...keep in mind that this is on small 30lb injectors. Furthermore, I have a max VE of 100% from 4400 to about 5400 RPM...which clearly isn't right, because there is no way my engine is displacing 100% VE at any RPM. It should be around 85%, which is what I had with the original MS-II frimaware.

My first thought was the injector constant, but the injector constant is linear. This means that If I lower it, it lowers max VE AND idle VE, and if I raise it, it will increase my idle resolution a little, but also increase max VE. I messed around with the constant anyways, but it didn't help.

Like I said though, everything runs fine now, and this VE scaling issue is more of a minor annoyance than anything else. If anyone has any other ideas of what the problem might be, I would greatly appreciate hearing your input. If you want to see the code, let me know and I'll post it. Thanks.

I have no signiture

Re: MS-II to MS-II Extra problem
Monday, January 04, 2010 10:36 PM
Well, did you enable EAE on the Extra code? That would cause what you describe. Also, depending on how your doing your ignition, your timing output changes along with some other outputs mapping when you switch to MS2E...did you check to make sure everything is still setup on the right outputs?

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Tuesday, January 05, 2010 8:01 AM
No, I don't have the EAE enabled. I just use the simple wizard like I had done for the MS2 firmware....and yeah I checked the output settings. I run the older style GM-DIS ICM and the only thing different is that I use D14 to control the spark output now instead of JS10. Everything else is setup the same.

I have no signiture
Tuesday, January 05, 2010 8:40 PM
Hmmm........

I will need to think about this one and do more research into what all has changed....what version of MS2E are you at now?

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:30 PM
I just updated to v2.1.0 a couple days ago, but I don't remember the previous version. I installed it in October 2008 I believe (if that helps). I'm still having the same issue with the new version of MS2E as well.

I have no signiture
Monday, January 25, 2010 5:00 PM
I'm still at a loss as to what changes may have caused this to happen? I will continue to dig around tho...just thought you might want a useless update of my so far un-fruitful progress...........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, January 25, 2010 5:00 PM

Monday, January 25, 2010 6:11 PM
Thanks Joshua, but it's really not a huge deal to me. I definitely appreciate your help, but please don't lose any sleep over this.

I have no signiture
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search