Still need MSD DIS-2 With Megasquirt - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Still need MSD DIS-2 With Megasquirt
Monday, December 28, 2009 11:53 AM
Quick and simple could i use the Megasquirt to retard my timing -2 for a 100 shot or do I still need to buy the MSD 62112 DIS-2.
I know the mega will change the timing but do I need the extra spark and if so can I just get the MSD coils to compensate for the extra spark needed.
Just trying to find a way around spending $600+ on the DIS-2 when I'm going to run the megasquirt anyway, thanks.

Re: Still need MSD DIS-2 With Megasquirt
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 12:51 AM
I wouldn't see the point of putting the DIS-2 on there. You can set your MS to run as a nitrous contoller if you want it to.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Sunday, January 03, 2010 1:17 PM
Monday, January 04, 2010 10:15 PM
James wrote:Quick and simple could i use the Megasquirt to retard my timing -2 for a 100 shot or do I still need to buy the MSD 62112 DIS-2.
I know the mega will change the timing but do I need the extra spark and if so can I just get the MSD coils to compensate for the extra spark needed.
Just trying to find a way around spending $600+ on the DIS-2 when I'm going to run the megasquirt anyway, thanks.

The MS can do everything you could possibly want to do with timing and N2O control. You 'can' run an MSD if you wanted to, it will give slightly higher output than the stock VB921's or Bosch BIP's but there are other IGBT options too. I'm running fairchild IGBT's which have 500mJ of energy/spark, when you compare this energy output to that of the MSD DIS2 HO's 170mJ....it just makes the MSD's rating look pretty damn sad. Especially when I upgraded my MS for less than $50, and that's 4 channel / 4 cyl COP!

Also, the 'multi-spark' of the MSD is pretty much a marketing strategy and less of a real performance boost since it runs out of coil dwell on stock coils around 1900 rpm and MSD coils not much further. There's just no time to allow this to happen at all much less in a Wasted Spark Ignition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, January 05, 2010 8:41 PM

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search