question on using MS-II to control ICM - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
question on using MS-II to control ICM
Friday, January 01, 2010 6:51 PM
So I have done a lot of searching and still am confused. I have a 1996 2.2l OHV. I want MS to control the ICM. The ICM has Two plugs w/ Two wires in each plug. The service manual lists them as...
Pink- switched 12v
Black - ground
White- ing. control A
Orange- ing control B

Can I use this ICM on my MS-II and if yes how?
Thanks

Re: question on using MS-II to control ICM
Saturday, January 02, 2010 8:50 AM
I'm not sure how the 2.2 ICM is, but on my 3400 there are 3 plugs.

One plug runs directly to the crank trigger. One for power, and everything else is on the other. On the Megasquirt site, I see for the 2.2L DIS module that there are 2 plugs, but both have more than 2 wires.

Try looking at this:
http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/GM_DIS.htm

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Saturday, January 02, 2010 9:19 AM
Yea I looked at that, Mine is not the same. If you don't mind scan over this post, I believe it is saying that mine wont work?
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=64&i=1865&t=1865&p=1

Please let me know what you think, Thanks
Sunday, January 03, 2010 7:59 AM
I'm doing some reading over that post right now. I do think I remember something about the 96 and 97 ICM's being different and not interchangeable (this might be the case here). Perhaps the 97's ICM has the correct plugs. I was reding the post and it says that a 92-93 ICM will work for sure with the MS. If that's the case, then you could swap ICM's from that year.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Sunday, January 03, 2010 9:53 AM
Yes, I believe you are correct. At this point I'm not even sure this is worth it? Did you happen to see my post right below this one? What would you suggest?
1- carry on w/ this make it work as a full stand alone
2-use MS for fuel only
3-abort and stick w/ factory computer

I have learned a lot in the last 3 months but not enough. So once I do get this hooked up am I even going to be able to tune it? I don't know. How long of a learning curve will I have, I don't know? I can't drive this down the road to try to tune it so that's a problem. At this point you can tell I'm pretty discouraged.
Sunday, January 03, 2010 10:23 AM
I believe any of the pre 94 4cyl GM DIS ICM's will work fine. Mine either came off of a 2.2L OHV or a Tech IV...I forget. The problem with the Jbody ICM is the second ignition control. I think the newer code they have now can natively decode the 6+1 wheel, so there really shouldn't be any need for the stock ICM anymore.

Otherwise, if you want to use the older style ICM read through the megamanual page here and this post here

I have no signiture
Monday, January 04, 2010 10:31 PM
Whalesac is on the right track. Don't give up yet. I saw that thread you linked to and the first thing I noticed was the date...2005...Soooo very much has changed since then. With the MS2E you have the ability to run GM HEI with a OBD1 controller and sending timing adjustments out JS10. You can also run native 7X wheel decode now and run D14 and D16 straight out to the two pins on your OBD2 ICM that you have and let the ICM control the dwell. You can also run a separate trigger wheel and run a single/dual tooth wheel code depending on what you want to do.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Tuesday, January 05, 2010 10:20 AM
Joshua, what would you suggest would be my best route to take on this project? I know very little about this. What would be my easiest and most effective way to do this? Also if you look at my post down the tuning page a little you will see what I will have for motor mods if that helps. Thank you for your help!
Tuesday, January 05, 2010 2:37 PM
I've always had the most success with a completely external trigger setup. Mike Davis is running a GP right now for a custom pulley which has provisions for a custom trigger wheel and sensor bracket I will be making available to those who want them. I try to stay far far away from the ICM's since IMHO they add un-needed difficulty to the MS system. As far as ease in your case would be to bring in the factory VR signal, run 7X wheel decode, and output to the OBD2 ICM. This would be the cheapest and quickest solution, however I have not tested this but there have been others who have had success.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Tuesday, January 05, 2010 7:48 PM
Joshua Dearman wrote:As far as ease in your case would be to bring in the factory VR signal, run 7X wheel decode, and output to the OBD2 ICM. This would be the cheapest and quickest solution, however I have not tested this but there have been others who have had success.

Do you know how I can do this? I can't run an external trigger. (rules, lol) Thanks
Tuesday, January 05, 2010 8:34 PM
All you should have to do is bring in the VR into the MS, then setup the MS to run the GM 7X wheel decode. Next setup DIS 4 cyl output and send D14(SprkA) to Coil1/A and then D16(SprkB) to Coil2/B. That should be about all there is to it. IIRC the ODB2 ICM should still control dwell too which will keep alot of the high current heat out of the MS box too. Using ICM's admittedly does have it's benefits......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, January 06, 2010 5:48 PM

Tuesday, January 05, 2010 10:20 PM
ok this is very good info. I'm not sure what you are referring to as D16 and D14? The only thing I can think of is 27 and 25 on the DB-37. Also this my be a dumb question but where do I find my VR signal? I assume this is a crank trigger? Also when I find my VR does this get hooked to my tach input? Thank you for all your help
Wednesday, January 06, 2010 6:35 AM
No 35 and 27 are going to traditionally be used for your IAC1A,IAC1B. You can see what I'm talking about in this pic:

So, the pic shows the outputs located on the MS2 V3.0...I'm not sure your exact version, if it is different let me know and I can post up the right diagram or you can find them on the MSExtra hardware manual. So what you want to do is tie off the top of R26 and R29 for spark A and B respectively. Now this wire needs to be sent out thru the DB37 somewhere on one of your spare outputs. You can use pin 3-7 if you wanted too. EDIT: If you still have them available, tie the spark outputs to SPR 3&4 which is labeled in the pic near the DB37. SPR3&4 are already tied into the DB37, I dont remember off the top of my head which pin but you can follow the traces to find out which ones.

For the VR, you will find it on the side of your block, you will wire it in as shown in the first pic.

Hope that helps.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, January 06, 2010 5:49 PM

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 12:50 PM
Thank you very much for this info!! Any chance you can try to repost that first picture, I cant get it to come up. Thank you.
Wednesday, January 06, 2010 5:44 PM
Yeah, that is weird...it's not comming up for me either. Here's the link: http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/v3ext_wiring.gif

Also, SPR1 & 2 are unofficially reserved for CAN communications which is why I haven't mentioned to use them. In the past this didn't matter worth a damn since there was no CAN enabled offerings but since the release of the GPIO and other CAN devices these could be very important connections to you in the future and will regret using them if you don't have to right now. Anyway, SPR 1-4 are DB37 pins 3-6 respectively. So if you used SPR 3 & 4 for the ignition outputs you would be using DB37 pins 5&6 for your SPRK1&2 or D14&16 or IGN1/A&IGN2/B however you want to respectively look at it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, January 06, 2010 5:51 PM

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:33 PM
JoeBiv318 wrote:
Joshua Dearman wrote:As far as ease in your case would be to bring in the factory VR signal, run 7X wheel decode, and output to the OBD2 ICM. This would be the cheapest and quickest solution, however I have not tested this but there have been others who have had success.

Do you know how I can do this? I can't run an external trigger. (rules, lol) Thanks

You can't run an external trigger per rules, but you can run an aftermarket PCM? That sounds very strange to me.

I have no signiture
Thursday, January 07, 2010 6:59 AM
Sounds like he's going to hide it?

Thursday, January 07, 2010 10:54 AM
Joshua Dearman wrote:Sounds like he's going to hide it?

Yea and make sure the factory PCM is completely visible and hooked up looking
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search