help finding info about narrowband replacement with aem uego - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
help finding info about narrowband replacement with aem uego
Sunday, April 18, 2010 4:13 PM
ok i know pj made a post years and years ago about using a aem uego in the stock narrowband location and using the narrowband output of the aem uego to connect to the j computer... now my question is how many people have done this? how well does it work? also anyone have the link to the post i just went through over 100 pages worth of posts by pj and no luck...

the reason i ask is i am purchasing the LE5 intake manifold and installing my saab green top injectors so i need to tune with hpt. i also do not want to weld the bung into the header because by july or august i will be installing my saab turbo so i dont want to waste my O2 bung... also one last thing if i put it where the stock sensor is will that be to close to a heat source? arent the wide band sensors sensitive to extreme heat? just let me know guys thanks a bunch...

Re: help finding info about narrowband replacement with aem uego
Sunday, April 18, 2010 9:22 PM
Bump. I really need this info.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 10:40 AM
You shouldn't have any issues, the output is made to be a narrowband.

Pontiac Fiero powered by L61/LE5 Ecotec "Innovation is a new level of performance"
Thursday, April 22, 2010 1:31 PM
Which one should I use? It has a 0-5 volt output on a white wire an then a blue serial connection wire.

Sunday, April 25, 2010 7:19 AM
You can buy the 02 bungs seperate for like 10 bucks

Sunday, April 25, 2010 5:36 PM
ok another question then... i am going to do the LE5 manifold pretty soon and want to tune of course but i do not want to put a bung on my pace setter header since here in about 3-4 months or so i plan on installing my saab turbo.. so my question to do VE tuning you technically put the car in open loop correct... would i be able to take the stock o2 sensor out and install my aem wideband in there just to do the tuning process and replace my stock o2 once im done? once i turbo i will have the wideband installed permanently so thats no big deal. i was just wanting to tune for the LE5 manifold untill it turbo... dont treat me like a newb i have been around for a while and i know the car needs a o2 to run but if you put it in open loop to tune technically it wouldnt be looking at that o2 sensor anyway... just let me know guys thanks a bunch...

Sunday, April 25, 2010 6:50 PM
i thought PJ did it with an Innovate LC1 that had a narrow band simulator wire that came out of it... either way after Jeffie told me to PM him for more info, he never PMed me back...

i have the AEM UEGO with the bung welded in my down pipe before the cat facing up at an angle towards the floor board of the car.. AEM says in forced induction applications you need the Wideband farther back than in N/A Applications, so if you are planning to run the Wideband in the turbo manifold, its gonna be to close to the head. Hopes this information helps you.

EDIT: now the White Wire is a 0-5v Output, and a narrow band wants a 0-1v Output... also a wideband reads backwads from a narrowband (at least the AEM does vs traditional narrow band gauges).. The left side of the AEM gauge shows rich, while the right shows lean, where as narrowband the left side shows lean, and the right shows rich... i'm not sure if the voltage output is in that format as well (where the lower on the wideband is rich, vs the lower on the narrow is lean), but if thats the case, the computer, in additional to not knowing why its supplying the extra 4 volts, will not know how to read the information from it.

looking at the instructions about the blue wire, it looks to be able to ran to a serial connector to a computer where you can log in to the wideband controller (or gauge) and have the wideband information sent to the computer screen line by line via telnet/hyperterminal connection... it looks proprietary to AEM and i can't see it working as an Narrowband simulator...
:/EDIT

I'm not a HPTuner so i dunno the answers to your tuning related questions...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Sunday, April 25, 2010 7:00 PM

Sunday, April 25, 2010 7:32 PM
Speedline02 (GME Chat!!) wrote:i thought PJ did it with an Innovate LC1 that had a narrow band simulator wire that came out of it... either way after Jeffie told me to PM him for more info, he never PMed me back...

i have the AEM UEGO with the bung welded in my down pipe before the cat facing up at an angle towards the floor board of the car.. AEM says in forced induction applications you need the Wideband farther back than in N/A Applications, so if you are planning to run the Wideband in the turbo manifold, its gonna be to close to the head. Hopes this information helps you.

EDIT: now the White Wire is a 0-5v Output, and a narrow band wants a 0-1v Output... also a wideband reads backwads from a narrowband (at least the AEM does vs traditional narrow band gauges).. The left side of the AEM gauge shows rich, while the right shows lean, where as narrowband the left side shows lean, and the right shows rich... i'm not sure if the voltage output is in that format as well (where the lower on the wideband is rich, vs the lower on the narrow is lean), but if thats the case, the computer, in additional to not knowing why its supplying the extra 4 volts, will not know how to read the information from it.

looking at the instructions about the blue wire, it looks to be able to ran to a serial connector to a computer where you can log in to the wideband controller (or gauge) and have the wideband information sent to the computer screen line by line via telnet/hyperterminal connection... it looks proprietary to AEM and i can't see it working as an Narrowband simulator...
:/EDIT

I'm not a HPTuner so i dunno the answers to your tuning related questions...

nah i am going to weld the o2 bung that came with the aem uego in the downpipe of the turbo once i get it installed and what not... i just wanted to see if i could put it in my pacesetter header for the time being untill i get the tune done for just the LE5 manifold and saab green top injectors untill i actually do the turbo install... when i do the turbo install i will have the aem uego installed in the downpipe along with the stock o2 sensor.... yea i noticed the blue wire was for a serial connection... and also on there instructions it talks about that little switch on the back and i think that the 5th selection was for narrow band but im not sure if its for the blue serial output or the white wire... so idk... if it controls the white wire then i could do it but i want to be sure before i do it... thanks for the replys guys....

Sunday, April 25, 2010 8:05 PM
i thought the selector in the gauge was to change what the gauge displayed...

either way i have to keep the white wire 0-5v cause i use that with HPT

Sunday, April 25, 2010 8:51 PM
Ah you may be right man I don't have the guage installed yet so I couldn't say. Also pj did use a LC-1. Still wonder if I can just tune with the aem and remove it afterwords. Guess I need to post on hpt web site and see was hoping someone knew on here.

Monday, April 26, 2010 4:52 AM
yeah that i don't know... i can only imagine the ECM would be foobarred with out an accurate narrow band reading, and would run like @!#$...

Friday, April 30, 2010 1:24 AM
in theory, the car being forced in open loop ignores the narrowband sensor since fuel trims are turned off... but that is assuming quite a bit, and we all know that HPT doesn't show us everything....

BUT I would try it.. force the car in open loop, unplug the sensor and see how the car drives.

this is one reason I like the LC-1 over the AEM, the dual outputs are completely programmable in the software that comes with the LC-1. I have output 1, output 2, and the serial output (that works the Innovate XD-16 gauge). so with the LC-1, technically you have THREE outputs. you can control what voltage = what AFR, response time, and a few other options I don't remember at the moment.

I had (on my 04) the serial output going to my XD-16 gauge so I had a real time display of my AFR, then I had one output going to the PCM 0-1V for my narrowband simulation, and I had the last output going to HPTuners for tuning purposes.

and if i ever miss anyone's PMs its nothing personal, but I'm on a few forums and I get emails, IMs, and PMs from a few differ websites on a weekly basis so its hard to keep track sometimes (I did intend on getting back to you tho, I promise!)

Friday, April 30, 2010 11:16 AM
Thanks for the response pj I will give it a try on the next nice day and see how the car runs.

Saturday, May 01, 2010 7:46 PM
it would have been nice to run the AEM in place of the narrow band ... i just cant see how... jeffie suggested taking the 0-5v output and running it to the ECM and then immediately tuning it... but i can't see that working as the computer is not looking for a 0-5v output....

Saturday, May 01, 2010 9:07 PM
see the problem is the stock narrow band is 0-1v and wideband is 0-5v if i put a 5 volt signal into the computer i may fry it... so.... i am going to do as pj said first and see if the car reacts like it should when in open loop..

Monday, May 10, 2010 8:54 PM
the whole getting a wideband to produce both signals is a waste of time, just get a second bung tapped in your downpipe and be done with it

even in most cases if you similate the narrowband correctly you still end up getting a slow response DTC code, the stock narrowband ac delco is the only one consistent enough to do this properly

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Friday, May 14, 2010 11:51 PM
Well I had a thought today. How about removing my rear o2 sensor and put it there till I turbo it. Once it is turboed I will have a extra o2.

Monday, May 17, 2010 7:31 AM
no, thats not a good idea for many reasons

1. the cord isnt long enough so you will have to spend money buying a cable to extend it (prob just as much as actually getting another bung welded in the proper spot)
2. you will get codes from not having the rear 02 plugged in, and prob codes for being in the wrong place
3. it will not pass emission inspection
4. It's not the right place and will not provide the correct readings, both narrowband and wideband should be placed approx 18 inches from the cylinder head for correct readings
5. Your readings post cat are not the same as pre cat, so there are false readings, provided you still have a cat

Monday, May 17, 2010 10:43 AM
Damn it man. This sucks. I'm not worried about codes it will throw I have all the rear o2 codes diabaled and I don't have emissions testing in ky so no biggy there either.

Dang it I really want to put this le5 manifold on but I don't want to waste my o2 bung see I should be turboing the car by July so I want to keep my bung for that.

Monday, May 17, 2010 11:51 AM
well placement of the narrowband is important, if its not in the right place your telling the computer a false reading and based on that it will attempt to reach 14.7 AFR by adding or pulling fuel which can be fatal to your engine at worst, at best lower mpg

Monday, May 17, 2010 1:29 PM
What are you talking about? If I put the wideband in the rear o2 bung then my primary will still be in the header. And we all know the post cat sensor does nothing for fueling.

I think this weekend I'm going to try what pj said and see how the car drives if there is no difference then @!#$ it i'll tune it with the primary out an put it back when done. Thanks for the replys guys.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search