Noob(ish) Technical(ish) Fuel System Q's - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Noob(ish) Technical(ish) Fuel System Q's
Monday, November 01, 2010 2:04 PM
Allright, you guys have seen me post before; I'm a noob with mechanical skills and technical acuity, I'm still in the researching phase. (and I bought a few books; "Maximum Boost", and "
How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems") I'm pretty good with basic maintenance and wrenching on the car but tuning and modding is a whole new world to me ( I have other technical hobbies that I have been very successful with.)

I'm reading the forums and stickies but I have some discrete questions about fuel systems that I cannot find the answers for;

1.) Is it possible to put in a fuel system that is turbo ready, but adjust the phase settings on the injectors for n/a until a turbo kit is purchased later?
2.) The 2200 OHV 2000+ had high or low impedance fuel injectors? or can I simply measure this with my ohm meter on the fuel injector harness? Can this be bought as a turbo ready component and run n/a until turbo is added later?
3.) A "FMU" is basically just a 4 valve FPR, which is basically just a mechanical solenoid, where increased boost (running in and out through two ports) inhibits return flow of fuel (through the other two ports)?
4.) Electronic control of fuel pressure can be fine tuned by adjusting resistance to the fuel pump?

Here's what I'm considering for my build spread sheet....and my tax return:
-set of 350cc 32lb/hr Venom Fuel injectors
-4 valve? FMU
-wideband stand alone gauge and controller
-HPtuners Pro

You guys are the best! Thanks for your guidance!

I like cold women and hot beer....errrr wait

Re: Noob(ish) Technical(ish) Fuel System Q's
Monday, November 01, 2010 5:11 PM
1. Yes
2. High
3. A FMU increase fuel pressure under boost based on the ratio of the diaphragm in it.
4. Not on our cars. We have a mechanical FPR. Our fuel pump pump at the same rate all the time. The FPR controls fuel pressure.

As for the parts you are looking at getting. What is your build going to consist of? motor, turbo etc...

I would drop the FMU, add a intake fuel pump upgrade like the Racetronix. Depending on your boost and power goals those 350cc's are going to be too small.

FU Tuning

Monday, November 01, 2010 6:29 PM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote: As for the parts you are looking at getting. What is your build going to consist of? motor, turbo etc...

I would drop the FMU, add a intake fuel pump upgrade like the Racetronix. Depending on your boost and power goals those 350cc's are going to be too small.
Agreed...... And if its a 2000+, why not just convert to the LD9 Reflash... It would make tuning it much easier.

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Monday, November 01, 2010 7:27 PM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:1. Yes
2. High
3. A FMU increase fuel pressure under boost based on the ratio of the diaphragm in it.
4. Not on our cars. We have a mechanical FPR. Our fuel pump pump at the same rate all the time. The FPR controls fuel pressure.

As for the parts you are looking at getting. What is your build going to consist of? motor, turbo etc...

-Excellent, thank you! On #3, yeah a diaphragm exactly, this is what we call in the reverse osmosis industry a feedback solenoid

-Follow up to #4....how is an FPR not an FMU? They're both mechanical devices that effect the fuel pressure.

-A; my build will consist of;

1.) A DTS2.net (or similar) turbo kit (T3 turbonetics spool, Tial blow off, etc.) I'll probably buy pre-mandrel bent pieces and weld together my intake tubing.
2.) Already in the works is a 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust system, hi flo cat, and 21" resonator. (should be complete with an intermediate set of Weap R headers in a couple of weeks)
3.) Fuel system as such we are discussing
4.) Mild P & P, and Comptech Rocker roller arms.
5.) Tuning support; HPtuners, wideband etc.
6.) RKS poly motor/trans mounts
7.) Eibach sway bars (got tower brace already and set of 215/55r16's)

I'm looking to keep the bottom end stock (for now). So from what I've read I should really only count on pushing 6-8lbs of boost. My goals are to keep it as a daily driver, and put down maybe in the neighborhood of 180-200hp.

I was going to buy a 3400 but, the one I had lined up was smashed (from the junk yard) I told the guy to forget it. But a number of these LN2 guys on this forum really inspired me! Especially that short little youtube clip of Ryan's car (tease)!

In either case I'm looking at putting down about the same amount of power, and I should be able to crush most of the poorly tuned civics in my home town! lol

QWK LN2 (P&P Tuning) wrote:
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote: As for the parts you are looking at getting. What is your build going to consist of? motor, turbo etc...

Agreed...... And if its a 2000+, why not just convert to the LD9 Reflash... It would make tuning it much easier.

Well I'll certainly take that bit of advice from the LN2 god himself! ]

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 6:39 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I knew it, I knew you'd boost.

Yes, dont bother with an FMU, your FPR is only a 1:1, so each lb of boost increases fuel pressure by a lb (FMU is rising rate) and you'll get better fueling with hp tuners and the ld9 reflash. You will need hptuners before/at the same time as you decided to put your bigger injectors in. And skip the front swaybar, its too hard to put in and its not the best for handling anyways. I'd only put it in if you think the car is oversteering too much with just the rear bar installed.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, November 02, 2010 9:20 AM
Leafy wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I knew it, I knew you'd boost.

Yes, dont bother with an FMU, your FPR is only a 1:1, so each lb of boost increases fuel pressure by a lb (FMU is rising rate) and you'll get better fueling with hp tuners and the ld9 reflash. You will need hptuners before/at the same time as you decided to put your bigger injectors in. And skip the front swaybar, its too hard to put in and its not the best for handling anyways. I'd only put it in if you think the car is oversteering too much with just the rear bar installed.

haha, yeah ya got me!

Yep, HPtuners, wideband, fuel injectors, racetronix pump will all be at the same time (tax season). Thx for the tips on sway bars.

You know it occurs to me. I should have prob posted this in the performance forum....moderators?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search