Stock 5sp LD9 Rev limiter - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stock 5sp LD9 Rev limiter
Monday, July 25, 2011 2:37 AM
Is there any way to lower the rpm it limits at? and bounce like a real car instead of taking 2 seconds to hit it again. I really don't like the fact that the limiter is set so high. I don't like it at all. I know that causes more harm than good when it's at redline.

Re: Stock 5sp LD9 Rev limiter
Monday, July 25, 2011 3:38 AM
With HPTuners you can. Stop bouncing the rev limiter if your worried about it.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, July 25, 2011 2:40 PM
But... but... how will he impress his friends?!?!

You're going to blow your engine, stop being stupid.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Wednesday, July 27, 2011 5:15 AM
I dunno about HPT guys. But I accidentally set the rev limiter's fuel return RPM slightly higher than the cut-off rpm on my MS-II. It makes a really unique sound, and bounces like a "real car" or whatever you're talking about.

Another option, is to get an MSD DIS-2 unit for your car. While you can't lower the RPM, you can set the MSD's spark cut to the same RPM as the fuel cut rev limiter on the stock ECU. This makes a funny noise, and in darkness if you don't have a cat you can shoot a small flame out the back on an LN2 car.

If that's what you're after. But you better get a service manual so you'll have a guide on what you're doing when you have to start fixing the car.

(BTW, if it takes 2 seconds between rev limiter fuel cuts in anything other than 5th gear then you have issues)

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Thursday, July 28, 2011 1:40 PM
SHOoff you know that if you only use the DIS-2 with with fuel cut limiter set really high (ie. off) you can shoot even bigger flames.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Friday, July 29, 2011 1:41 PM
I imagine that you can, but I had a DIS-II on mine before we had HPT available. But it sounds like fun.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Thursday, August 04, 2011 6:12 PM
it's less than 2 seconds, but either way i know it does damage to the car thats why i wanna set it lower, i hit it in first gear on my first couple runs because it got there so fast not that you should shift that high anyway as you're already losing power.
Thursday, August 04, 2011 6:47 PM
You're not going to hurt the engine revving to the stock limiter under load.

If you're accidentally hitting it in first and you lower it, you're just going to make it worse for yourself. You don't need to lower your limiter, you need more seat time.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Saturday, August 06, 2011 4:25 PM
Doug DeBonet wrote:it's less than 2 seconds, but either way i know it does damage to the car thats why i wanna set it lower, i hit it in first gear on my first couple runs because it got there so fast not that you should shift that high anyway as you're already losing power.

All it does is shut the fuel injectors off until the RPM drops far enough for it to be happy. Basically it's the same as taking your foot off the gas pedal and stepping on it again just at a lot faster rate. It's not hurting your engine if you tap it a bit at the start of your run, but it is hurting your times. Just need a bit more practice at it like Tim said.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search