HPTUNERS AND EMISSIONS? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HPTUNERS AND EMISSIONS?
Saturday, April 15, 2006 4:57 PM
Some reason this posted in photos and media yesterday but here:

Ive benn thru the HPtuners and most of the questions in the forums on the org and I have just one question. The laws for inspection have changed in recent years so now when we go for inspection they do an "emissions" test on any OBD-II vehicle. They plug a computer into your OBD-II port and check for any CEL's or bad codes and that is sent directly to the state. It is either pass or fail with no 2nd chance.Now I just went and bought a brand new turbonetics turbo+a few other small doodads to start building a pretty crazy motor and I ran into this "emissions" test issue. If I use the HPtuners to tune for the new turbo setup will the "emissions" test pickup anything out of place or illegal as they call it? This is NH and NONE of the garages know squat about non-factory turbo and dealers wont even talk to me about it lol. ANY help would be great before I get too deep into this $$$ hole.

STREET ANTIX, it's coming...

Re: HPTUNERS AND EMISSIONS?
Saturday, April 15, 2006 5:02 PM
I don't know where you're getting that information, but if you fail emissions, you DO have a second chance (and even more if you fail that). You just aren't allowed to drive your vehicle until the problems have been repaired. If you have a CEL they aren't going to make you throw your car away.

The emissions will not pick up any illegal changes, however, if they preform an O2 test, you will fail if you've disabled the secondary O2 sensor.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, April 15, 2006 5:16 PM
no no no no, thats not how I meant it to sound. "You just aren't allowed to drive your vehicle until the problems have been repaired." Exactly what I was getting at right there. If I failed the first time b/c its turbo'd I wont pass the second. The emissions test will pick up the disabled o2 sensor but what about any other sensors? speed limiter? anything else "legalwise" I should be concerned with? Like I said, the garages cant even begin to help me, but this is putting the light back in my eyes....

Saturday, April 15, 2006 5:25 PM
No, they cannot test for a disabled speed limiter, they are mostly concerned with the rear O2 sensor in emissions.

Saturday, April 15, 2006 5:27 PM
THANK YOU!!! If you think of anything else related please post

Saturday, April 15, 2006 5:27 PM
BTW, a turbo car will not generate any more emissions than a non-turbo car at idle, especially if you have it tuned right. What I'm planning on doing is to swap back in my old injectors if I can't get it to pass with my 440's.

Saturday, April 15, 2006 9:21 PM
Quote:

This is NH and NONE of the garages know squat about non-factory turbo and dealers wont even talk to me about it lol. ANY help would be great before I get too deep into this $$$ hole.

Well, I live in NH.
And, I'm an auto tech.
And I know about non-factory turbo.
And, I'm certified to perform state inspections. Hmmm.... So maybe someone in this state does know something that can help?

The state computer is looking for 2 things.
1) that all emissions readiness tests have been run and passed.
2) that there are no current trouble codes for emissions.

This testing has been through all sorts of changes. The main reason we've brought it in is to receive federal highway funding for repairs to Rte 93. At one time the state legislature was considering revoking your registration if you didn't get your car fixed within 30 days after failing the test. You can bet that went over well. Current rules state that you will not receive an inspection sticker if your car fails emissions inspection, and that you have 60 days to have the problem repaired. According to the law, if your car passes safety inspection but fails emissions, you will be issued a temporary waiver which allows your vehicle to be operated for 60 days in order to have it repaired (RSA 266:59-b, paragraph V). You can only get one waiver per year, so if you don't get the car fixed after 60 days, I guess you're out of luck. And you're likely to be pulled over by every cop that sees you if you have no inspection sticker even if you do have a waiver, so who wants to deal with that? Also keep in mind that if you fail the OBDII test an inspector may choose to do a visual test, in which case you'll fail the visual under NH law (turbo is definitely non original equipment and is not allowed). In the future it may become possible to obtain a waiver for passing the OBDII test if you can prove that paying for the repairs might cause economic hardship, but that's not in effect yet.

Now, for the goodies.

1) It doesn't matter how badly the car runs. It doesn't matter if fuel is dumping out the tailpipe. If you don't have any current codes stored, then technically you don't fail.

2) There's always one guy that decides to look things over any and be a jerk, so you'd better get your car safe, looking good, and running ok before going in to have it inspected.

3) Don't clear the codes just before driving to inspection! If you clear the codes then you reset the readiness flags. The inspection station can't finish the test until most of the readiness flags are "ok" or "passed." You'll be told you don't pass and you'll have to drive the car around for a day or two to try and make the readiness flags set. Or you'll have to pay a shop to have their tech drive it until the flags are set.

I believe HPTuners can shut off codes for O2 sensors, EGR valves, crank misfires, &etc. A code that's disabled won't set. But you had better make sure there's a cat and a rear O2 in place because an inspector will notice those during the safety inspection. You definitely don't want someone asking why your car with no rear O2 isn't setting rear O2 codes. Technically, HPTuners is an illegal "emissions defeating device."

I work for a fleet and we don't do outside vehicles which makes it easier. And most of our vehicles are over 8600 GVW so they don't get tested anyway. I've heard horror stories about this testing so it doesn't seem fun for anybody.

-->Slow
Sunday, April 16, 2006 8:16 AM
Thank both of you very much. You guys just made my whole weekend.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search