Do you like curve balls? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Do you like curve balls?
Wednesday, June 13, 2012 6:21 PM
Because I have one. Here is a summary of what my problems.

Car 1: 49 state 2005 sunfire Mexican made. I have owned this car since new and have no problems with it.

Car 2: Do not know if 49 state or CA. I bought this car a year ago with a GMPP S/C kit installed.

This is where the fun begins. I removed the SC from car 2 put on OEM intake injectors MAP ect. It did not run well, I had the injectors cleaned, new FPR new plugs and boots, new cat, filters, oil ect. I sold the GMPP flashed PCM with the SC kit. I bought a used PCM off ebay from a company who said they flashed the VIN onto the unit.

Car still runs bad.

Are you ready for it?

I put the PCM from car 1 into car 2 and bam! Problem solved, car runs great. Put the PCM from car 2 into car 1 bam! Car runs bad. I order a refurbed PCM from rockauto and have it flashed at a dealer. Installed new PCM in car 2 and it still runs bad. Very rich, plugs black as night, rich smelling exhaust short term fuel trim -19 (think that is low as my scan tool will read) but no codes. Now I have no hair because I have pulled it all out.

So my question is this: is there a 49 state flash and a CA flash? Maybe an update came out that is bad? Or better yet anybody in San Diego that has HPT?

Help me JBO your my only hope.

-I drive my car to work-

Re: Do you like curve balls?
Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:37 AM
Go here. Click me

See what the Calibration that comes up says, and see if it matches your PCM.

Also sometimes the CVN number is a sticker on the PCM.

Did the dealer reflash the "reflash tune", or the stock tune back on the new PCM?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:39 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:13 AM
Go to the junkyard and get a PCM and call it done.

FU Tuning

Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:40 AM
Thanks for the responses, the VINs pulled up the same CAL IDs and the same part numbers.

I can't use a junk-yard pcm because I have to get it smogged and the VIN has on the PCM has to match the VIN on the car. To get that done it has to be re-flashed so back square one.

I am going to grab the PCM I just bought that was flashed to the stock tune and throw it in my good car and see what happens. You know for science.

-I drive my car to work-
Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:52 AM
Update.

I installed flashed PCM into my good car and hello P0300. Here is some additional info that I received from the company I purchased a used flashed PCM from:

The calibration for the 3g2jb12f75s2243xx car is 16001591
The calibration for the 3g2jb12f15s1391xx car is 12593509 superceeded by 12598564

So the PCM is the culprit and I am confused as @#%@# as to why GM makes multiple tunes for the same car, from the same year, from the same factory....

-I drive my car to work-
Thursday, June 14, 2012 10:21 AM
Sooo the company that originally flashed my used PCM said they can't flash a separate program from the VIN.

Is there anybody here that will flash a stock tune for me? I can pay for your service and shipping. I contacted trifecta a couple of weeks ago but I have not heard back.

And just to clarify:
The calibration for the 3g2jb12f75s2243xx car is 16001591 is the problem car
The calibration for the 3g2jb12f15s1391xx car is 12593509 superceeded by 12598564 is the good car.

-I drive my car to work-
Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:56 PM
So here is the deal.

If the shops that are flashing the vin for car 2 are doing it through gm's system it will be the supercharger flash. GM techline has to be called to change that vin ecm program back to the stock software. That vin in gm's database is most likely still known to be supercharged.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:28 PM
Cool beans, thanks a ton for the info. I will see if my local dealer can get this taken care of.

-I drive my car to work-
Friday, June 15, 2012 10:19 AM
Why are GM dealers staffed with idiots? I had the head PCM/ECM guy at a large dealer tell me that GM never sold any cars with out a SC and then offered it as a kit. I told him exactly what was going on and how to fix it his answer: we can't do that. Great. I am going to try a few other dealers but so far I am not hopeful.

So my previous question anybody know where I can get a stock tune in San Diego?

-I drive my car to work-
Friday, June 15, 2012 12:58 PM
Go down and talk to them in person, or call back tell him he is a idiot, and actually look it up.

Friday, June 15, 2012 2:05 PM
junkyard

Then with HPT correct the vin.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:29 PM
I brought in the Part #s for the flash to the dealer. All I got was a blank stare...

I have an appointment with a different dealer and I am hopeful it will work out. I would prefer to get a used PCM and HPT the VIN but I don't have HPT and I think I am the only JBO member in San Diego.

I'll report my results with this dealer in the next couple of days. Thanks again for all the input, I was getting tired of chasing my tail haha.

-I drive my car to work-
Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:42 PM
Durandall05- I feel you 100% on dealer idiots, I needed a new bcm flashed for my car a while back and the tech asked me how I got a cobalt ss motor to run in my cav without issue. When I informed him that it was a gm kit, he laughed and told me to stop pulling his leg and I told him to look it up lsj and l61's have different crank trigger patterns so his idea wouldn't work.

I'm with Addicted got a local with hpt, spend the 100 on credits and call it done.

Saturday, June 30, 2012 10:38 AM
Ok so it is all taken care of now. The dealer found that GM uses a separate part # for the stock tune after removing the S/C tune. Passed smog with flying colors and all the codes are gone.

Looking back to the beginning I should have bought HPT and called it a day. Oh well live and learn right? Thanks again for all the input you guys really saved my bacon.

-I drive my car to work-
Wednesday, September 26, 2012 1:14 PM
I can verify the 16001591 calibration is the eco supercharger manual calibration id.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search