Erratic O2 Readings - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Erratic O2 Readings
Wednesday, October 30, 2013 4:37 PM
So I just finished installing my Wideband O2 setup, and I am experiencing the same thing from the wideband that I saw logging the factory O2 values. The problem is that the O2 sensor readings are extremely erratic, with AFR readings in HPTuners ranging from 5:1 to 25:1. The numbers jump back and forth in a matter of milliseconds. I am seeing this pattern on both the wideband and the emulated narrowband output. As I said, the factory O2 sensor did the same thing.

What is going on here?

Re: Erratic O2 Readings
Wednesday, October 30, 2013 4:41 PM
Is this just an artifact of closed loop operation? I was thinking that I had closed loop turned off, but now I think I remember turning it back on.
Wednesday, October 30, 2013 4:44 PM
Also, I didn't get a chance to log for more than about 10 minutes today, but from what I saw, the O2 values while in PE mode also seemed erratic. Closed loop shouldn't effect PE ratios....
Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:02 PM
What is the reading while the car is sitting idling?

FU Tuning

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:27 PM
AFR readings at Idle ranging from a minimum of 7.35 to a maximum 22.33, with an average of 14.48
Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:35 PM
Just realized that the minimum and maximum values are min and max for the wideband sensor itself. What gives?
Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:49 PM
I also notices that the minimum and maximum values in most of the low rpm cells are 7.35 and 22.33. Decel cutout could account for the extreme lean condition, but I can't explain the extreme rich. I will try disabling closed loop and decel cutout, and report back any changes.
Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:50 PM
So I just went out and logged about 10 minutes, after disabling closed loop and decel cutout.

O2 Readings are still erratic, and my average afr's as reported by HPTuners are WAYYYY off.

My engine is bone stock with nothing more than a true CAI, solid mounts, and a high-flow muffler.

I am getting a fairly consistent 22.39 at idle and cruise, and 7.41 under Power Enrichment.

I am thinking either my O2 sensor is garbage (It's brand new), it is not calibrated properly (I followed the instructions, but subsequently unplugged the sensor and drove for a while before installing the sensor: perhaps it just needs recalibrated), or I have a bad ground situation with the Wideband controller.

Anyone have any ideas as to anything I may have missed?
Thursday, October 31, 2013 5:46 PM
Your wideband isn't setup right or how you are logging it is not setup right.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 12:57 PM
Recalibrating the sensor fixed the issue, however It keeps losing the calibration, and it gives me the same erratic readings until I calibrate the sensor. I'm thinking it's a bad ground, although the digital serial output doesn't work on the lc-1 either. Could I have a bad lc-1?
Wednesday, November 06, 2013 4:01 AM
Adam Cousins wrote:Recalibrating the sensor fixed the issue, however It keeps losing the calibration, and it gives me the same erratic readings until I calibrate the sensor. I'm thinking it's a bad ground, although the digital serial output doesn't work on the lc-1 either. Could I have a bad lc-1?

always possible.

Where do you have it grounded.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 10:23 AM
It is a bad ground. Innovate widebands are very picky on their grounding points.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search