'05 ecu swap? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
'05 ecu swap?
Tuesday, March 04, 2014 6:23 PM
Just learned that the '04 and '05 ecus demand 14.7afr when under boost. Is the the case with every 04-05 computer? How would I go about finding an '03 ecu? I tried looking on ebay but none of them say if it's for a manual or auto or if it has abs or anything like that. Can I tune the '05 ecu with hp tuners and fix the 14.7 demand? Any info would be great I'm surprised I hadn't heard about this before, thanks.

Re: '05 ecu swap?
Tuesday, March 04, 2014 10:04 PM
Yes, you can change your tuning with HPTuners. No matter the year, the Eco's go to lean AFR's under WOT.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 10:43 AM
02-05 eco ECU's don't see boot. End. Cant flash it to a different MAP scale like you can some other ECU's either. 02-05 Eco ECU's don't even reference MAP for fueling. The only AFR adjustment you have is at WOT, but you still don't see boost with the 1 BAR system so your timing will suffer but there is a work around described in the How To: HPT sticky. There is a GMPP reflash for the S/C setup, but it's kind of junk and it also locks the ECU.

You could swap the engine harness and ECU from a 2000-2002 LD9 and get the GMPP S/C reflash for that which will give the ECU a 2 BAR MAP scale, and it reference MAP for fueling. No j-body ECU has adjustable AFR like, say, an LS1's ECU, outside of WOT.

Those are the limitations in a nut shell. Read the stickies in the Tuning and Boost sections, there is a lot of good info.

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 1:26 PM
I know it won't recognize boost no matter what but the reason I'm asking is cause I'm gonna use an fmu and I've still read that it tries to pull 14.7 even with an fmu. Strange how hahn sells the full kit but doesn't mention that it might not run as intended. Anyway, if I bring it to a dyno shop near by you think they can get in there with hptuners and make it so it doesn't do that? Or am I better off trying to find an early '03 ecu from the parts yard?
Wednesday, March 05, 2014 2:29 PM
As stated all 02-05 eco ecu's are the same.... I thought you had to fake a 2 bar or something, I think there is a sticky that may explain it a little better unless someone else can. If I do a eco swap, I am probably going to use my 00 z24 pcm and harness with the gm flash....

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 9:36 PM
I thought I read somewhere that I can use an '02 ecu, or that some of the early '03 ones aren't as picky about trying to maintain that perfect fuel ratio. Maybe I'm wrong, I thought with hp tuners your able to change the point at which the computer will give up trying to get the fuel perfect
Friday, March 07, 2014 8:19 AM
I am no tuning expert but what is your PE delay set at? From factory, The Eco PCM is set a 6200, So it will demand 14.7:1 all the time until 6200RPM then it will go into PE.

Here's some reading...
Older thread but go to post 27, when he finds out about PE in HP tuners
Similar thing here
Not sure if you read this
This is what I plan to do, use 2000 LD9 PCM with GM Speed Density tune (If I do an Eco/M62 swap)

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Sunday, March 09, 2014 5:05 PM
1 dont do a FMU.

Get a real tune. FMU does not account for timing which is a big part of the tuning.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search