Swap LD9 for Eco? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Swap LD9 for Eco?
Friday, June 27, 2014 5:24 PM
Last week my car got rear ended by some asshole while I was at a stop light. The car is totaled, and I'm screwed out of a Cavy with a solid body. Now I'm on the hunt for a replacement. I found an '02 with a LD9, but I want to swap my turbo Eco into it. Sadly, I would still be using the Eco PCM because it is already tuned, and I want to do a quick swap. (Planning on a MS system soon.) The only thing I'm worried about is the operation of the instrument cluster. When looking at the schematics they appear to have the exact same electrical systems. (Both are 5 speeds.) I don't think I have much to worry about. Has anyone tried this though?

Also, I figured I'd add a photo of my old car.

Re: Swap LD9 for Eco?
Friday, June 27, 2014 5:32 PM
Had to re size.
Attachments
IMG_0258.jpg (46k)

Friday, June 27, 2014 6:29 PM
You would be better of swapping the motor and getting the LD9 ECU reprogrammed to the GMPP program and then having it retuned. You could get a much better tune than with the L61 ECU. People have run the 2000+ LD9 engine harness on their 03+ cars, don't see why you couldn't drop in an eco harness to that body.

Saturday, June 28, 2014 4:56 AM
I know the LD9 PCM's are more versatile, but I'd be trying to get this car on the road ASAP. I haven't looked too far in depth, I think it will need some rewiring here and there but thats it. Nothing major.
Saturday, June 28, 2014 5:15 AM
To put your Ecotec into the LD9 car. You can just swap your motor, trans, ECU and wiring harness in. Should be all.

Maybe radiator also.

Instrument cluster's are the same 2000-2005.

You will likely need to do a theft relearn as the BCM and ignition switch in the LD9 wont be synced up with the Eco ECU. You could also swap those over.

Regardless this could be done in a weekend.

FU Tuning

Thursday, July 03, 2014 6:21 AM
Now that I have looked further into it, it appears it will be a simple swap. I'm hopefully going to look at this next week. Just have to get the brake lines fixed on the truck. The car has a bad misfire, so I'm gonna have to trailer it.
Thursday, July 03, 2014 1:04 PM
Keep us posted. I always love to see boat anchors replaced with decent motors!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search