Tuning software - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tuning software
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 8:04 PM
I am looking for tuning software for the 02-05 ecotec sunfire. anyone hear of any yet?

Re: Tuning software
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 8:39 PM
yeah weve heard alot about single systems like emanage or aem plugandplay but is there something not dealership garage expencive that can flash the car?

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 10:20 PM
HP Tuners

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 11:27 PM
Joshua Smith wrote:I am looking for tuning software for the 02-05 ecotec sunfire. anyone hear of any yet?

Well, it depends what your goal is...All motor or Turbo/Supercharged.

SAFC-2 and E-Manage is good for all motor setups
Megasquirt and (the soon to be released) Hahn Portfueler will be good for boost

HP Tuners software...no idea when it will be out.

By the way, you should only tune if you have an Wideband O2 or take your car to a dyno.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, October 27, 2005 4:47 AM
Those are all crap if they can't raise the rev limiter. That's where real n/a power is..

Thursday, October 27, 2005 5:50 AM
04firetec wrote:Those are all crap if they can't raise the rev limiter. That's where real n/a power is..
Um, no.

The rev limiter isn't put there to make Chevy inferior to Honda. The rev limiter isn't there to get on your nerves because "high revs are where the power is".

The rev limiter is there to keep piston speeds at a level that's not going to cause high stress to the motor. It's there to keep the valves from floating based on the stock cam profile.

Know first....THEN speak.

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Thursday, October 27, 2005 8:11 AM
JimmyZ wrote:Know first....THEN speak.

maybe you should follow your own advise..

he said power.. as in horse power and if you look into the equation, then you'll see that RPM's play a major role in the power you make. also it is well known that the ecotec is capped too low. it is still making power when it hits the limiter. also gm has stated with merely changing springs much higher rpms are obtainable. they feel confident that the top end can support flow for the increased rpms and therefore a increased power.

next time you decide to chime in and put somone elses comments down do your homework, otherwise you sound like a standard ignorant flamer..

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Thursday, October 27, 2005 8:27 AM
Jrobz23 wrote:

he said power.. as in horse power and if you look into the equation, then you'll see that RPM's play a major role in the power you make. also it is well known that the ecotec is capped too low. it is still making power when it hits the limiter. also gm has stated with merely changing springs much higher rpms are obtainable. they feel confident that the top end can support flow for the increased rpms and therefore a increased power.

next time you decide to chime in and put somone elses comments down do your homework, otherwise you sound like a standard ignorant flamer..

he's right jimmy. not to mention, we have to remember that the designs of GM pushrod and DOHC motors are far different than the designs of Honda SOHC and DOHC motors.

Thursday, October 27, 2005 8:41 AM
Jrobz23 wrote:

I've done my research. I've built my motors. And this guy sounds no different than the others you hear in this forum all the time wanting to remove the rev limiter "to make more power" because that's where Honda's make theirs.

GM, like any manufacturer, does make SOME concessions to the wants of consumers...like reduced engine noise, reduced exhaust noise and so forth. Rev limiters aren't part of those concessions though, unless you think about it in terms of reliability.

They made the decision that the return vs stress wasn't enough to warrant the limit being any higher than it is. Higher RPMS to produce more power put exponentially more stress on ALL internal components. They determined that those stresses, and their detriment to the engine, were too much compared to the relatively small gains to be had.

I'm not saying he's 100% wrong...there IS more power to be had above the limiter. I'm saying it's not worth the trade-off. I'm saying that it's a good thing that it's there because for every one person that properly takes advantage of it there will be 50 yahoos that grenade their motors.

There are MORE than enough things that can be done to increase power below the rev limiter on any of the J motors that one doesn't ahve to worry about going above it just to impress the Hondas revving at the next stoplight. That's why I consider people wanting to raise the rev limiter just for the sake of raising it under-informed and shortsighted in their search for HP.

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Thursday, October 27, 2005 11:07 AM
all very ture and i do know and agree that gm put it there for the other 98% of cavalier drivers, not us. but it would be great for the ACTUAL tuner folks if there was some tool that could easily move (prefer) or remove the redline.

i only chimed in cuz i thought you were a little harsh... no disrespect.

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Thursday, October 27, 2005 1:01 PM
Out of the SAFC-2 and the E-Manage system, which one is less likey to trow codes

Beware the Rouge Dragon.

Thursday, October 27, 2005 1:29 PM
khaserwolf wrote:Out of the SAFC-2 and the E-Manage system, which one is less likey to trow codes

You are comparing apples to oranges. It's the PCM that throws codes.

Thursday, October 27, 2005 3:04 PM
Jrobz23 wrote:also it is well known that the ecotec is capped too low. it is still making power when it hits the limiter. also gm has stated with merely changing springs much higher rpms are obtainable.

Just so you know, camshafts play a role in making power in higher RPMs and shifting your powerband upwards, not just springs.

I fully agree with Jimmy Z, if there wasn't a rev limiter, there would be tons of people who would probably rev out to 8 grand thinking they make power all the way to that point. Fact is, stock ecotec motors won't make power past the limiter and in some cases stop making power just before the limiter.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, October 27, 2005 3:22 PM
Jrobz23 wrote: also it is well known that the ecotec is capped too low. it is still making power when it hits the limiter.

Ummm, no. The ecotec stops making power 5500-6000 (5750) rpm redline at 6250-6500 rpms

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search