Datalogging, q about IAT and TPS - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Datalogging, q about IAT and TPS
Wednesday, June 14, 2006 10:02 PM
I have the GM eco SC kit and datalogged for the first time with it tonight. 2 Things of concern.

1) TPS is reading 9% at idle, and 85% at WOT. I know what could be wrong with it. What I want to see is what other people are getting for TPS readings.

2) My IAT readings are very hot, like 75-85. Again, is this whata people are seeing with this setup...

thanks;
J

Re: Datalogging, q about IAT and TPS
Wednesday, June 14, 2006 10:42 PM
75-85 isnt hot, as long as your under 111 theres no timing pulled

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Thursday, June 15, 2006 12:07 AM
Rodimus Prime wrote:75-85 isnt hot, as long as your under 111 theres no timing pulled

That may be true, but afterwards I logged and made some changes to my own car, and was seeing IAT's of 20, over 55 degrees hotter, and that could have been a contributer to the KR (3.5-7 degrees) which WAS pulling timing for him all night.

What kinds of timing advance #'s are ecoSC reflashed guys seeing at WOT? For a GM approved tune, there were some funny things going on tonight.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Thursday, June 15, 2006 8:05 AM
Try logging pedal position and see if that differs from the TPS.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, June 15, 2006 9:00 AM
I believe you can only do pedal position on 'Drive by Wire' cars......... which the Cavy is not....... unless you where thinking something else....

Open your hood.... have a friend push on the pedal while you look at the t/b....... Make sure it opens and closes all the way. That way you can tell if its a sensor reading failure or not.

Those intake temps are nothing......... 75-85* is like a warm summer day........ I have a data log from a GM S/C 2.4 on my PC....... try intake temps of 190*+........

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Thursday, June 15, 2006 9:03 AM
yea before i even start the car its at 75 IAT

and from what ive seen ill bet the knock retard isnt IAT related its most likely due to not having a CASE learn procedure done after the reflash or a lean condition when the AFR goes above 12.2

Thursday, June 15, 2006 9:31 AM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:Open your hood.... have a friend push on the pedal while you look at the t/b....... Make sure it opens and closes all the way. That way you can tell if its a sensor reading failure or not.

Yeah we did taht already, I was just wondering what other people were getting for readings, or seeing anything strange after the SC install.

SpeedRacerZ wrote:Those intake temps are nothing......... 75-85* is like a warm summer day........ I have a data log from a GM S/C 2.4 on my PC....... try intake temps of 190*+........

I should clarify - the intake temps are measured in Celius, therefore 75C = 167F, again just wondering if this is the same range of what people were seeing with the SC install on the eco.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 9:35 AM
Rodimus Prime wrote:and from what ive seen ill bet the knock retard isnt IAT related its most likely due to not having a CASE learn procedure done after the reflash or a lean condition when the AFR goes above 12.2

This is what we were thinking that it may be lean beacuse the TPS is not reading correctly.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 10:39 AM
Influx[quote=SpeedRacerZ wrote:Those intake temps are nothing......... 75-85* is like a warm summer day........ I have a data log from a GM S/C 2.4 on my PC....... try intake temps of 190*+........

I should clarify - the intake temps are measured in Celius, therefore 75C = 167F, again just wondering if this is the same range of what people were seeing with the SC install on the eco.

Very good point, I thought of that after leaving for work this morning. So now that we are all talking about the same thing, we are over the threshhold where timing is being pulled, and these temps are very likely a cause of detonation. The biggest problem right now is the TPS signal though, any other ideas? Jason said he was going to try another sensor, so we'll see what that does I guess.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 10:51 AM
damn Canadians and their Celsius........

Thursday, June 15, 2006 12:27 PM
god no wonder i was confused

Thursday, June 15, 2006 1:43 PM
I have datalogged my 95 2.2 ohv with my plx M-500, and I also datalogged TPS, and wideband, and at idle, and WOT, it has very similar readings. I just figured that the sensor puts out more then 0 V when it is closed, and less then 5V when it's full open. My WOT is like 88%, based on a 0-5V singnal. and about 8% idle. That would mean at idle, it's at 0.4 Volts, and WOT, it's at 4.4 Volts. Is that not normal?

Thursday, June 15, 2006 2:44 PM
well it should read 0% at idle either theres something wrong with the TPS sensor or hp tuners needs recalibrated

Thursday, June 15, 2006 5:37 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:well it should read 0% at idle either theres something wrong with the TPS sensor or hp tuners needs recalibrated

Influx is currently running the GMSC reflash for the eco, so no HPtuners for him, yet. What could cause a TPS to lose 1/4 of it's range (100-84=16 + 9=25)?

Thursday, June 15, 2006 5:49 PM
Each TPS is slightly different, and gives readings that are slightly different. You need to do the learn prodecure. I forget what it is. Something like turn ign to on (not run), then push pedal down fully for 1 minute (or something like that), let go, 1 min, repeate 3 times. That's just what I remember off the top of my head, I'm sure it's wrong, someone else please correct me.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 5:58 PM
C.T.S wrote:Each TPS is slightly different, and gives readings that are slightly different. You need to do the learn prodecure. I forget what it is. Something like turn ign to on (not run), then push pedal down fully for 1 minute (or something like that), let go, 1 min, repeate 3 times. That's just what I remember off the top of my head, I'm sure it's wrong, someone else please correct me.

Hmmmm, very interesting! Anyone else have any info on this, I hadn't even heard of it before.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 7:53 PM
mine reads 0-100%..... cant say that I recall a 'calibration' for the TPS....... just that sometimes you need to loosen the bolts that hold it on, and turn it slightly till you get a 0% reading at Closed Throttle...... then press the pedal and see if you have 100% @ WOT......

Thursday, June 15, 2006 9:19 PM
Hmm, I'll have to look into this... calibration..

Thursday, June 15, 2006 9:31 PM
C.T.S wrote:Each TPS is slightly different, and gives readings that are slightly different. You need to do the learn prodecure. I forget what it is. Something like turn ign to on (not run), then push pedal down fully for 1 minute (or something like that), let go, 1 min, repeate 3 times. That's just what I remember off the top of my head, I'm sure it's wrong, someone else please correct me.

I'd be interested n hearing more about this.

Also, I got an email from a friden of mine with the RSM setup, and he's saying he gets exactly the same readings. Weird.

Friday, June 16, 2006 10:36 PM
C.T.S I think you are correct on the calibration method, I don't remember exactly what it is but what you are speaking of sounds familiar, I will check it out monday if no one has verified it yet.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/lo02z24
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 11:02 AM
So, is there a calibration that u can do through some weird number of pedel pressing, and key turning?

Or is it mechanical, on the throttle body? Aside from the idle adjustment.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 11:37 AM
From what I just read according to alldata there is no recalibration method if you are not showing 0% throtle position or less than 1 volt at idle and 100% throttle position and approx 4 volts at wot then you have a bad part or wire problems, check for good connections. on your plug should be a wire (5 volt refrence) is grey b wire (low refrence) is black c wire (tp sensor signal) is dark blue and they go to your pcm the black connector. grey wire is number 67, black wire is 47, and dark blue is 31. Hope that is of some help. Good luck.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/lo02z24
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search