gm sc guys, HPT make any noticable gains for you? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
gm sc guys, HPT make any noticable gains for you?
Wednesday, July 05, 2006 7:26 AM
wondering if anyone with the gm s/c has gotten any good tuning outta the HPT program YET? Whats the first thing we should look into changing, im guessing timing since the gm flash pulled so much and another would be fuel right?

Re: gm sc guys, HPT make any noticable gains for you?
Wednesday, July 05, 2006 2:00 PM
Here you go boosted, a pretty good post about how much a good tune can net you. and here is the post. http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=64&i=387&t=387

Quote:

DCStang67
Saturday, June 03, 2006 7:45 PM

Just got back from the dyno. To get things started, last month I went to a baseline dyno day in CT with Illd9 and others from nejbody. That day I had my boost set around 8-9psi running the supercharger reflash with gm supercharger injectors. It put down 208 hp and 217 tq. at a very lean 13.74 peak afr. I then decided before i blow up my engine to buy hptuners and 48# injectors. Finally got it on the dyno. It was strapped down for about 5 hours. The guy tuning it has been working with hpt for a while now on f-bodies, corvettes, etc. and is very knowledgeable. He tunes powerplants that make hundreds of thousands of HP for a full time job. First we got the idle and drivability tuned. He used no math to get the injector constant. none of the math made any sense, so he tuned by trial and error. the stock constant was .32359. we ended up at .27428. Now she idles mint with a 14.7 afr. Next he started tuning the drivability by editing the Low RPM Dbl and Low RPM Sgl VE tables. Raising the number will give more fuel and lowering will take away fuel. This is done by data logging and comparing afr vs rpm vs kpa and adjust these tables accordingly. At this time he changed all the timing tables. We started with the GM N/A timing tables because the reflash pulls way too much timing at all the wrong rpms. There is now a perfect timing curve and no knock whatsoever. Finally the fun part Power enrichment. First he messed around with the PE Base AFR vs ECT. This table is based on Lambda not the standard AFR. He set it to 12.0 at full operating temp. Next he changed the multiplier going from .96875 at 4000 rpm to 1.28125 at 4000 rpm. He changed other rpm columns too but that is too many numbers to post. Now we have a descent afr around 11.9. Next all the fine tuning is done in the high rpm ve table. Again the higher the number the computer will give more fuel. Finally after a few more runs we got a nice straight line of 11.8-11.9 afr across the board. Then I turned up the boost to about 11-12 psi. Now time for the numbers. First run was running really rich at 10.0 or lower across the board due to the large injectors. It put down 179 HP and 210 Tq. About 15 runs later and about 20 computer flashes it put down 223 HP and 252 Tq at 11.8-11.9 afr across the board. WOW what a huge difference. It feels like it has so much more power. My friends Stage 2 SRT-4 put down 237 HP and 253 TQ. You can use that for a comparison.

01 Z24 Turbo /// First Reflashed Turbo AUTO MMMM YUMMY
Wednesday, July 05, 2006 6:28 PM
ive been tuning on my 99 with the gm s/c setup for a few weeks now and can tell you it has made an unbeleivable difference for my car. The car not only runs and idles perfectly now but it also pulls a ton harder. I am running a fairly conistent a/f ratio of 11.5 on 110 octane and about 11.0 on pump. I will take more fuel out of the car as soon as I get a new tranny in it and have time to tune more.

Before HPTuners was was able to put down a 13.56@106mph, after I am now putting down a 13.21@109 on race gas. My setup is completely custom and am running the smallest s/c pulley I can on a ported and internally polished gm s/c. Car also has methanol injection.

I am running +25 degrees advance timing on race gas with about .4-.9 KR and +19 advance on pump with the same KR. I have also done alot of work to the VE tables to add and take fuel out. Also running a 1:1 fmu on the car. I'm very pleased with the HPTUNERS software, one of the best mods ive ever done

"Horsepower is the Ultimate Accessory"
Thursday, July 06, 2006 10:21 AM
i wish i had it, but no support for a 96 and i dont plan on re wiring.

Thursday, July 06, 2006 11:41 AM
Jake wrote:i wish i had it, but no support for a 96 and i dont plan on re wiring.

BOO!!!!!

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Friday, July 07, 2006 7:37 PM
ahah damn to bad HP didnt have their tuning thing out a while ago... i might have just stayed with the supercharger only...

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno
Friday, July 07, 2006 7:58 PM
Josh F wrote:ahah damn to bad HP didnt have their tuning thing out a while ago... i might have just stayed with the supercharger only...

Bah, more reason to have twincharged now!

Saturday, July 08, 2006 12:08 AM
jimmyc99z24 wrote:ive been tuning on my 99 with the gm s/c setup for a few weeks now and can tell you it has made an unbeleivable difference for my car. The car not only runs and idles perfectly now but it also pulls a ton harder. I am running a fairly conistent a/f ratio of 11.5 on 110 octane and about 11.0 on pump. I will take more fuel out of the car as soon as I get a new tranny in it and have time to tune more.

Before HPTuners was was able to put down a 13.56@106mph, after I am now putting down a 13.21@109 on race gas. My setup is completely custom and am running the smallest s/c pulley I can on a ported and internally polished gm s/c. Car also has methanol injection.

I am running +25 degrees advance timing on race gas with about .4-.9 KR and +19 advance on pump with the same KR. I have also done alot of work to the VE tables to add and take fuel out. Also running a 1:1 fmu on the car. I'm very pleased with the HPTUNERS software, one of the best mods ive ever done

jimmyc88z,
damn yo! i've got hpt on the way.. maybe its time for 2.5 pulley for me What size injectors are u using? are you not worried about maxing out ur s/c too much? mmm.. might have to hit you up when it shows up.

Nate

Evolution of Cavyboy-->C22t--> C24na--->c24s/c
1995 Cavalier W/2k1 Engine
GM S/C 13.940@99.78pmh w/2.068 60ft
Saturday, July 08, 2006 12:10 AM

ps-jimmy, you need to fill out your car profile

Re: gm sc guys, HPT make any noticable gains for y
Saturday, July 08, 2006 9:08 PM
Hey C24 glad to see you've got HPTuners on the way for ya, you won't be disapointed, just make sure to take your time to learn the software for a few days or as long as needed then go out and test some things out. Running too much timing or too little fuel when you're already pushing the limits can equal verrrry bad things lol. As for my profile to be honest i'm not on the jbo that much anymore because i've been banned a couple times before for basically no reason and also can't deal with some of the asses on this site. There are some great guys on here trying to represent the j well and also help others out, those are the guys i have major respect for and talk to regularly. If you wanna check out my full mods list hit up my car club website at www.607motorsports.com and under the "team 607" page you will find the cavy and her mods list Also don't bother with the 2.5" man unless you port out that s/c, you wont be doing much of anything but pushing heat through the engine. I also had to step up my alky injection nozzle to an M8 and run a 60/40ish methanol mix to get my IATs in the 150 range, before that i was seeing about 175 which was causing me some kr and pulling timing out of the car.

"Horsepower is the Ultimate Accessory"
Sunday, July 09, 2006 8:29 AM
jimmyc99z24 wrote:Hey C24 glad to see you've got HPTuners on the way for ya, you won't be disapointed, just make sure to take your time to learn the software for a few days or as long as needed then go out and test some things out. Running too much timing or too little fuel when you're already pushing the limits can equal verrrry bad things lol. As for my profile to be honest i'm not on the jbo that much anymore because i've been banned a couple times before for basically no reason and also can't deal with some of the asses on this site. There are some great guys on here trying to represent the j well and also help others out, those are the guys i have major respect for and talk to regularly. If you wanna check out my full mods list hit up my car club website at www.607motorsports.com and under the "team 607" page you will find the cavy and her mods list Also don't bother with the 2.5" man unless you port out that s/c, you wont be doing much of anything but pushing heat through the engine. I also had to step up my alky injection nozzle to an M8 and run a 60/40ish methanol mix to get my IATs in the 150 range, before that i was seeing about 175 which was causing me some kr and pulling timing out of the car.

mm.. m8 nozzle, thats a lot of water coming in. Thanks for the info!!

Nate

Monday, July 17, 2006 12:41 PM
Jake wrote:i wish i had it, but no support for a 96 and i dont plan on re wiring.

just get off your ass and drive down here....... I'll do the work for you

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search