95 2.3 ECM/ICM compatability - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
95 2.3 ECM/ICM compatability
Sunday, July 09, 2006 10:18 AM
So here's something I've come across, and do not know the answer for....... Does the 95 ECM, or 2.3's in general, need to run with a 2.3 ICM, or will a 2.4 ICM work?

The reason I ask is because we're running a W41 with a '95 ECM (Manta HO prom), but we've got a 2.4 ICM plugged in (also running a MSD DIS II HO and remote coils), and seem to have a bit of a missfire. It idles with the MSD, 2.4 ICM, and 2.2 Coil conversion, but barely...... if we put a stock 2.4 IDI setup on it, and bypass the other ignition, it wont idle at all...... but does run if we play with the throttle.

Just trying to work the bugs out of the drag car........ running the way it does right now, it managed a 14.0 @ 111mph pass....... plugs fouled, almost stalling out on take off....... I'm about ready to pull the charge pipes, and put some stock injectors in it...... and take a run with it that way....... should be a low 14's or faster car N/A.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Re: 95 2.3 ECM/ICM compatability
Sunday, July 09, 2006 2:11 PM
karo's fire ran fine with the 97 gauge cluster in it , and what ever 95 or older pcm he has

Sunday, July 09, 2006 7:09 PM
mine is running fine with my 97 cluster and 95 ecu! i had to put the 95 map sensor in it tho.....

Sunday, July 09, 2006 8:13 PM
ICM = IDI???

The slowfire ran fine on a 95 pcm and 2.4 IDI.

I can't say I can remember enough to be sure it will work fine the opposite way.

Since all my crap got stolen 2 weeks ago, I can't investigate it further right now either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, July 09, 2006 8:17 PM

sig not found
Sunday, July 09, 2006 9:36 PM
Is that the 6285 pcm. It should run perfectly fine, as we also run this pcm on the 2.2L. Actually, i've discovered the 6395 pcm is fully tuneable, and has been added to the ODB1 project.

If your running a 6295 I have alpha tuning code that you can make a chip for it with, you also will require a aldl logger and a chip burner, but it should work with your setup.

I have a 96 with a 95 pcm and engine, but the 94 pcm is going in soon and will work with the icm.

You might want to check out the 6395 at your local junk yard, and review the 0d disassembly, i can send you a copy if you like. Since your running a drag car, this pcm would give you a lot of tuning options, including the ability to remove that nasty smog emissions stuff.
Sunday, July 09, 2006 10:11 PM
karo did have the 95 map sensor on his too

that sucks your stuff got swiped todd

Monday, July 10, 2006 1:00 AM
ICM = silver box under the idi...

My cluster is a 99

Damn, I hope its not a MAP issue again....... I had tracked down a MAP that was supposed to also work, but now I'm second guessing myself on it...... there is one on ebay..... $10 + $25 for shipping....... wants MO, Cashiers Check, or Personal Check....... I guess he'll also take Paypal, but doesnt like to...... might have to break down and buy it.

IDK what the ECM part number is...... always forget to look at it (stock 95 Z24 2.3 5 speed ECM) w/ a Mantapart 95 HO EEPROM.

Todd, sucks to hear about your stuff being stolen...... what did you all loose?

Monday, July 10, 2006 1:39 AM
If you have a bin programmer/reader i'd like to get my hands on that mantapart eeprom for our odb1 project.

How hard would it be for you to read the bin off the chip, and email it to me. Do you know anyone with an eeprom reader.
Monday, July 10, 2006 3:51 AM
i have one extra sensor (16165793) that i can let go for 10$ + actual shipping price.
let me know. i'll try to find it this afternoon.

Monday, July 10, 2006 9:51 AM
consider it sold, if you find it.

Monday, July 10, 2006 10:12 AM
yeah ive left several of them sensor in the junk yards and just grabed the brackets , for use with the HO intakes

karo has or had the part # as did i , but its like 70-80 for the bracket and map sensor

the map looks similar to the 96-99 sensor , you might wanna try it and see if they work

Monday, July 10, 2006 3:51 PM
... i still think there may be a vac leak, i meen at 1500 it only had 5in\ of vac.......... idn, the cansolation test i did on the injectors kinda ruled that out... ( the injectors,) next time we should try the new ones i gave you.

we should try making it run on stock first, to try to limet the varabels we have right now, its kinda like shooting darts with a welding mask on.

or we could jump on the trampline agan,

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Monday, July 10, 2006 5:09 PM
Taetsch Z24 wrote:...we could jump on the trampline agan,

homos

JK

Monday, July 10, 2006 7:25 PM
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™)]yeah ive left several of them sensor in the junk yards and just grabed the brackets , for use with the HO intakes

karo has or had the part # as did i , but its like 70-80 for the bracket and map sensor

the map looks similar to the 96-99 sensor , you might wanna try it and see if they work

Well go get me one ...... the 95 MAP is specific to 94/95 2.3's (16165793)...... I've tried crossing the number to come up with a compatable sensor, and thought I had (09359409) but aparently it doesnt

Taetsch Z24 wrote:... i still think there may be a vac leak, i meen at 1500 it only had 5in\ of vac.......... idn, the cansolation test i did on the injectors kinda ruled that out... ( the injectors,) next time we should try the new ones i gave you.

Chris

Im leaning towards this sensor being wrong again....... if it was a vac. leak, it would have idled high, not lopy and bogging at 800ish RPM...... I'll try to get my hands on the CORRECT MAP sensor, the stock EEPROM, and another ICM......... try them one at a time till it runs good again

The damn thing idles fine with the GM 2 bar sensor on there..... lol Was running pretty mint at the GM Bash last year....... the only things I've changed are the Manta EEPROM, MAP sensor, Retarded the Ign. 4* with the DIS II, and put a stock T/B on it.......

Oh well, the reason for this post has been answered....... the 95 ECM will run with a 2.4 ICM..... although Karo's engine was a 2.4, where ours is a 2.3....... still not sure if the crank sensor angle has any relationship with the ICM.....

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 9:05 AM
karos was a 2.4 motor , but using the 95 2.3 pcm , not sure what chip but something with the rev limiter over 7k from what i remember

now i wish i would grabed the map last time , if i have time ill look and see if i got 1 with that # on it

Saturday, July 15, 2006 4:31 PM
hey speedy boy , you might wanna get a hold of me

i seamed to have found a little black thing with the last 4 #'s of 5793

Sunday, July 16, 2006 12:53 AM
if you're trying to use the 2.4L ICM on the ODB1 system (taking it your running odb1 saying you have the mantapart chip) you may have issues with that. main issue is that ODB2 have a feedback type system and the odb1 are not a feedback system.

imo why are you running the 2.4L icm? you should be running a 2.2L icm with the 2.2L or msd coils...

I've done a few of these swaps, have a full write up on how to do it if your interested but you have to sign up to veiw it (unfortunatly not my choice) but www.twistedmotorsports.net sign up and look in "Justin_Inc"'s corner for the 2.4L coil conversion article. it explains it all.

Monday, July 17, 2006 9:38 AM
Manitoba Motorsports wrote: ... main issue is that ODB2 have a feedback type system and the odb1 are not a feedback system.

Please explain this "feedback system" to us...

sig not found
Monday, July 17, 2006 12:31 PM
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™)]hey speedy boy , you might wanna get a hold of me

I'll take it..... just checked AIM, your not on...... I'll try to catch you on later.

Manitoba Motorsports wrote:if you're trying to use the 2.4L ICM on the ODB1 system (taking it your running odb1 saying you have the mantapart chip) you may have issues with that. main issue is that ODB2 have a feedback type system and the odb1 are not a feedback system.

imo why are you running the 2.4L icm? you should be running a 2.2L icm with the 2.2L or msd coils...

I've done a few of these swaps, have a full write up on how to do it if your interested but you have to sign up to veiw it (unfortunatly not my choice) but www.twistedmotorsports.net sign up and look in "Justin_Inc"'s corner for the 2.4L coil conversion article. it explains it all.

I am running a "modified" 2.2 ICM and coils, BUT you need a stock 2.3/2.4 ICM sending the coil signal to the 2.2 ICM for the coils to fire. I'm used Misn_Blue's write up from a few years ago, on how to do the Coil Conversion. I have the 2.4 ICM on there because its what I had laying around. My concern was weither or not the ICM needed the correct CPS angle for it to work correctly (2.3's and 2.4's have a different trigger angle for the CPS)

Either way, I believe the number one issue right now is that damn MAP sensor, seeing that the car ran pretty well w/ the GM S/C 2bar MAP on there, I believe its just a Voltage vs. MAP reading issue at this point.

Monday, July 17, 2006 1:50 PM
yeah , im not usually on aim during the week days , since im at work

ill be on tonight though , i did look for you over the weekend

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 9:28 AM
i didnt get your email with your address in it

please resend it

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 12:40 PM
sent it again

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 1:17 PM
wtf , i still dont got it

pm it to me

i even checked my spam folder , nothing

Thursday, July 27, 2006 5:02 PM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™)]hey speedy boy , you might wanna get a hold of me

I'll take it..... just checked AIM, your not on...... I'll try to catch you on later.

Manitoba Motorsports wrote:if you're trying to use the 2.4L ICM on the ODB1 system (taking it your running odb1 saying you have the mantapart chip) you may have issues with that. main issue is that ODB2 have a feedback type system and the odb1 are not a feedback system.

I am running a "modified" 2.2 ICM and coils, BUT you need a stock 2.3/2.4 ICM sending the coil signal to the 2.2 ICM for the coils to fire. I'm used Misn_Blue's write up from a few years ago, on how to do the Coil Conversion. I have the 2.4 ICM on there because its what I had laying around. My concern was weither or not the ICM needed the correct CPS angle for it to work correctly (2.3's and 2.4's have a different trigger angle for the CPS)

Either way, I believe the number one issue right now is that damn MAP sensor, seeing that the car ran pretty well w/ the GM S/C 2bar MAP on there, I believe its just a Voltage vs. MAP reading issue at this point.

You dont have to use the "modified 2.3/2.4icm" all you need is the 2.2/2200icm. the icm makes no difference as it just takes the values givin to it from all of the sensors. trust me i'm using it successfully on 3 different cars on it.. I thought i would have to also untill i started looking through all of the wiring diagrams and they really are the same units just in different packaging. as i said here is the picture from the mockup...

however this was a 2200 icm and a 2k+ 2.4L, i havent tested on anything below 2K yet although i would love to and as soon as i can find one i will.

I was reading through one of my gm tech books for @!#$s and giggles one day and read something about the icm on the older models are "feedback". i'll check into this more tonight to see if i can get a full explination up if there is one even lol.

Thursday, July 27, 2006 5:03 PM
if you want to read up on how i did this, check out www.twistedmotorsports.net and look at my article under "justin_inc's" corner.

Start New Topic Advanced Search