2.3L SOHC Diesel - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.3L SOHC Diesel
Thursday, January 25, 2007 10:22 AM
Has anybody every tried to setup a 2.3L SOHC as a diesel? I was looking at one in the yard and was thinking with a good machinist who can drop a hole on the side where there are no valves for the glow plug and get an injector to go where the sprak plug is I'm pretty sure this could be possible. Just an oddball thought.

Re: 2.3L SOHC Diesel
Thursday, January 25, 2007 1:34 PM
The only space for the glow plug is where the spark plug is. There's no other places. The valves take all the place and the ports are too big to even think putting somewhere beside it. The injection would need to be on the original spot.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Friday, January 26, 2007 10:37 AM
why

Friday, January 26, 2007 10:57 AM
just a thought........couldn't you see it on like a junk yard worriors show or something
Friday, January 26, 2007 12:10 PM
I have a spare block and head you could work on if you want. What is the compression of a good running diesel? Psi I mean, not a ratio.

I like the idea and would like more idea on it.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Friday, January 26, 2007 7:00 PM
Put some stronger internals with Diesel pistons , good head studs, and good head gasket. Use an intake heater instead of glow plugs. Machine the head to accept injectors in the spark plug holes.

Saturday, January 27, 2007 3:30 AM
Then how about the pump? That is the main problem IMO.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Saturday, January 27, 2007 7:45 AM
The newer Freightliner (Dodge) Sprinter vans use a 5 cyl MBE turbo diesel with an in-tank style pump and common rail indirect injectors ( It looks like a gas motor setup). You could try and find one from a junk yard and snag the injectors and pump. I'll take pictures of them next time i get one in. You really don't need an RPM based Bosch style injection pump. If your trully

Saturday, January 27, 2007 10:03 AM
But the SOHC heads where known for cracking with GAS, i really dont think it would hold up, rember back in the 80's when GM tryed it with the 350 rockit? not a good idea.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Saturday, January 27, 2007 11:35 AM
A 2.3 as a diesel probably wouldn't get my votes for reliability. Diesel compression ratios are 18:1 to 22:1 . Diesel compression gauges go to 400 psi. Vibration is a killer on diesel engines. The old 350 / 5.7 Olds diesel was a factory conversion from a gasoline engine. The only thing it was good for was giving Joe Mondello and other Olds guys some really strong gasoline engine part for their drag cars. As a diesel it would break cranks and blow head gaskets as well as killing the transmission it was bolted to.

I don't know, but I don't ever remember seeing a diesel engine with an aluminum head. Big heat, big pressure issues to overcome with 4 bolts per cylinder and relativeIy flexible aluminum. I think if I were looking for a diesel, I would try to find a 1.6L diesel Isuzu from a Chevette, or a 1.8?L diesel Isuzu from an old Luv / Isuzu P'up. Toyota also put a nice diesel in the pickups in the middle '80s, but it's not found here in the US. You'd need to find a Canadian friend to get one.

-->Slow
Saturday, January 27, 2007 7:41 PM
I'm Canadian

Shannen : you should get a set of Eprom next week.

I've seen a diesel with an aluminium head. IVECO 4cyl diesel had an aluminium head with OHC cam, 10 bolts for the head just like the 2.3. I took appart so many of them I still remember how.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Saturday, January 27, 2007 8:10 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (PJ) - BPU++ wrote:why
my thoughts exactly. to me this is like taking a step backwards

1997 RedR - ZedR
Sunday, January 28, 2007 2:53 AM
Why build a cavalier? Why make a 2.3 diesel?

It's somebody choice to do that. IMO, diesel knowledge is worth 100 times more than gasoline knowledge. Alot more fun to work with.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Sunday, January 28, 2007 6:24 PM
they make Ecotec diesels. possibly even reusing the ecu. some things to look at. the quad4 is a sweet motor but maybe an eco for parts might make the project easier to put it in a cav. I am no person to start talking about whats best for a deisel conversion or even whats involved. very neat project seeing biodeisel being more popular and easy to make. also maybe the saab turbo could be used. dunno cool stuff.

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Sunday, January 28, 2007 6:37 PM
The DuraMax has alum. heads.

You'd also have to rework the cam timing, lift, intake and exhaust manifolds, since diesles make their power at a lot less RPM's than a gasser. I believe the 6.5 diesel before the DuraMax was based on a SBC but had lots of changes.

O noes!
Sunday, January 28, 2007 7:28 PM
Quote:

I've seen a diesel with an aluminium head. IVECO 4cyl diesel had an aluminium head with OHC cam, 10 bolts for the head just like the 2.3. I took appart so many of them I still remember how.

10 bolts is 4 per cylinder. Look at cylinder, 4 bolts surround it. Maybe not the best way to describe, but that's how I think of the clamping force. So why have you taken so many of them apart?? For repair? For scrapping? To get the pistons to use in your high compression 2.3??

Quote:

The DuraMax has alum. heads.

Long time no see. I haven't worked on any Duramax engines. There's none in our fleet yet. But this is good to know. I also just began to wonder about the VW TDI. That's a new design engine and may have AL heads.

The 6.5 was based on the 6.2 which was a clean sheet design. I've worked on enough of both engines to be OK with never seeing another. But I'd pick one of them over the 5.7 diesel any day.

I guess we could all learn something by looking at the old GMC 60 deg V6 design from the mid to late '60s. Not only was it made in huge displacements for gasoline, but it was also made into a V8, a V12, and a "toro flow" diesel.

I wonder if the "Ecotec" diesel is a different engine than a gasoline "Ecotec." Especially when there have been two different flavors of Ecotec gas engine in Europe. I think Ecotec is the marketing name of the day at GM powertrain.

Gilles, I'll be watching the mailbox.
Sunday, January 28, 2007 7:56 PM
im thinking DI setup like the 2.0 turbo engine but with caps instead of plugs. hmm not sure about the "Ecotec" but they call them that. you could very well be right.

Sunday, January 28, 2007 8:06 PM
I took alot of Iveco appart because the army was too hard on their engines. I was working for a machine shop that had a contract with the army. The 2.3 has 10 bolts just like the Iveco.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 7:56 PM
Jrobz23 wrote:im thinking DI setup like the 2.0 turbo engine but with caps instead of plugs. hmm not sure about the "Ecotec" but they call them that. you could very well be right.

The only thing about a DI setup is the fuel line setup and the injection actuation. Most diesel injections are usually electro hydraulic that have cups machined into the head with old down brackets. With this being a gas engine i wouldn't want to remove too much metal and stability from the head.The injectors have springs that only let them open at a certain fuel pressure ,but the final phase is a signal from the ecm (some Detroits are 12 volts and Cats are 110 volt actuators.) Your easiest way is a ID setup from an MBE.

Thursday, February 01, 2007 4:27 PM
Just to put my 2 cents in...Alum. head and cast block on diesels don't work well. The TDI are cast heads by the way. As for the GM Isuzu duramax 6.5L D heads, if you much about them, they have a long track record for having problems witht here alum. heads. As for injection, there are only two styles for fuel delivery: 1) mechanical- injection pump provides timed fuel inejction via the pump itself 2) is the common rail- the untimed pump provides 10,000 to 20,000psi to the common rail and is dispersed however many cylinders and fuel pressure is divided and the injectors are timed via computer to solenoid actuators.
As for the design of our blocks to work as diesels, I think not. You would need a completely redesigned head. Not enough comp. Also the thickness of material in the block isn't enough; it wouldn't take the vibration well. As for fuel, it would be extremely difficult to fab a timed gear system to reliably pump fuel to the motor, unless you can get a computer that will time the solenoids, in which you would need another head all together. If this project will ever happen it will be a mechanical fuel setup. Good luck.

Time to get it going again.....
Thursday, February 01, 2007 7:44 PM
Diesell wrote:Just to put my 2 cents in...Alum. head and cast block on diesels don't work well. The TDI are cast heads by the way. As for the GM Isuzu duramax 6.5L D heads, if you much about them, they have a long track record for having problems witht here alum. heads. As for injection, there are only two styles for fuel delivery: 1) mechanical- injection pump provides timed fuel inejction via the pump itself 2) is the common rail- the untimed pump provides 10,000 to 20,000psi to the common rail and is dispersed however many cylinders and fuel pressure is divided and the injectors are timed via computer to solenoid actuators.
As for the design of our blocks to work as diesels, I think not. You would need a completely redesigned head. Not enough comp. Also the thickness of material in the block isn't enough; it wouldn't take the vibration well. As for fuel, it would be extremely difficult to fab a timed gear system to reliably pump fuel to the motor, unless you can get a computer that will time the solenoids, in which you would need another head all together. If this project will ever happen it will be a mechanical fuel setup. Good luck.

The D-max is a 6.6L. I haven't seen too many with head problems as we have 2 in my family with over 100,000 miles with no problems pulling 34 ft campers to Florida, but that is my personel experience. Mercedes Benz's are aluminum engines and are some of the most reliable we have in our fleet (when compared to Cummins,Cat,Navistar's and 60 series Detroits) Those 2 styles of injection are for the bigger inline 6 engines. Mercedes Benz uses a fuel injector style with an electric pump in the Freightliner Sprinter I5's. You don't need an injection pump or lift pump with that style.

Friday, February 02, 2007 9:57 AM
I was thinking the 2.0 DI motor to give more room for the fabbed fuel setup. not sure how the "ecotec" diesels run but somehting to look at.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search