painting door handles - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
painting door handles
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 11:11 PM
im gonna be painting the door handles on my car. and i am just wondering is it easier to just take off the handle and paint the whole thing or just to paint it on the vehicle. i want it to be a good paint job. i dont want black to show underneath or behind it. anyone that has done this before please post a pic too if you have it...thanks.

i'm baaaaack!!

Re: painting door handles
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 11:13 PM
if you don't want any black showing underneath the handle, then your best bet is to have the handles taken off. there's (i think) 2 rivets holding it on. drill those out and take the handle off. paint it off the car and reattach it by using new rivets. if you leave it on the car, it will be very difficult to paint the back side well.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 11:16 PM
thanks

i'm baaaaack!!
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 11:47 PM
by the way...do you know where the rivits are or what size they are? thanks

i'm baaaaack!!
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 1:36 AM
lift up the handle and you should be able to see the rivets. as for what size they are, i have no idea.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 1:51 AM
they are 1/4 inch or 3/16 inch rivets

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 8:26 AM
Interesting. I was actually pretty specific about NOT painting the underside and the arms when getting my new ones done. I had them mask off that stuff so they would exactly as though they came painted from the factory.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 12:12 PM
i had mine painted while my doors were being repaired, so they had the handles off anyway. personal preference i guess, i'd rather have the inside painted as well.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 12:15 PM
are there any aftermarket handles out there, like chrome or cf?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 1:07 PM
just wondering also if i have to take the interior panels off at all?

i'm baaaaack!!
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 3:07 PM
kurt wrote:just wondering also if i have to take the interior panels off at all?

Yes, in order to get at the rod that actually opens the latch on ur door, you need to remove your door pannel. This requires nothing more than a Phillips screw driver.

Unscrew:
1 Screw in the mirror cover (inside)
2 Screws in the inner door handle
3-5 Screws around the edge of the door pannel.

You might need to bend the rod that is attatched to the handle to get the handle off. This shouldnt be a problemsince it should easily bend back into place when you go to re-attach the handle.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search