HID problem - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HID problem
Saturday, February 19, 2005 8:05 PM
The problem is that when my DRLs are supposed to be on the headlights flash and then the service light comes on. My HID kit uses the the factory harness to power a relay for the ballasts. I think that since there is not enough resistance in the relay to make the computer "think" theres a bulb there. How do the rest of you with HIDs get around this. I have to fix it to get an inspection. Also the relay only has two leads which means the lights only come on when the switch is in two of the three positions(high, low and DRL). ANY help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: HID problem
Sunday, February 20, 2005 10:23 AM
*Bump*....
Sunday, February 20, 2005 12:08 PM
you disable your DRL's.

drl's run on 6 volts, not 12, so whatever you do it wont work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Sunday, February 20, 2005 10:44 PM
If you want to know how to DIsable your DRL's, you can either search on here, or throw me an email and ill give you a detailed explaination, i have it done to my Cav when i had HID's and i still haveit with my silverstars...
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 2:38 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm just worried about the DRL dash light blinking when I take it in for inspection.
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 2:51 PM
if you disable your drl's the light wont flash...

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 2:56 PM
This is a quote from the library:

Open the door on the fuse panel (the one inside the car). The door shows a map of the fuses and such. There is a relay that is marked DRL. Remove this Relay by simply pulling it out. Now the DRL's are disabled.
Two side effects though.
1) the DRL light inside the cars blinks when the DRL's should be on.

2) High beam on the passenger side no longer work.
side effect number one. not solved yet.
side effect number two. Look at the DRL relay and find the prongs #30 and #87a. Now get a little jumper wire and put it where the two prongs are when the relay in inserted. This will fix the high beam problem.

Thanx again, I'm just gonna give it a shot.
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 2:58 PM
umm thats a ghetto way of doin it lol, go search a little more an it will show you what wire to ground from the bcm, so your drls will really be disabled....

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 3:08 PM
DRL disable for 00+ Cavaliers and Sunfires.

This is a REALLY simple mod that took me maybe 5 minutes... Disabling the annoying DRLs... All you'll need is a piece of 16 gauge wire, electrical tape,
something to cut 16 gauge wire, a ratchet & a 1/2" socket...

Pull the carpet back on the driver side "kick panel" area & locate the "BCM" which is marked with a white
sticker reading "BCM"...

There are 2 blue plugs & 1 smaller purple plug plugged into the BCM. Unplug the middle plug by pulling back
the blue tab. It will slide right out...

Turn the plug so that you can see the wire side. You'll notice that there are 2 sets of wires, 1 is lightly marked "A", the other, "B". There are holes for 12 wires in each set but not all the holes are filled...

Locate the ONLY blue wire of the bunch. Most say this wire is in "A", however I've known several people, including myself, who have found it to be in "B"
instead. Either way, it's the ONLY dark blue wire there & is the one which controls the DRLs...

Now separate the blue wire just enough from the others to work with it. Cut it about 2-2&1/2" from the plug & strip the covering to expose an area of bare wire...

Take a piece of 16 gauge wire and strip the covering from an area on both ends to expose bare wire...

Now twist one end of the new wire with the end of the 2-2.5" piece of dark blue wire coming from the plug & tape it up with electrical tape...

Take the ratchet w/ 1/2" socket and follow the steering column. You'll see 2 1/2" bolts attaching the steering column. Loosen 1 of them & attach the other end of the new wire, then tighten up the bolt. These bolts make a good ground as there's no paint, just bare metal...

Now you can tape the other end of the cut wire coming out of the firewall if you like or just tuck it behind the carpet...

Plug the plug back in, tuck the excess wire behind the carpet & you're done!

The first time you start your car after doing this, the instrument panel DRL light may or may not flash a few times, mine didn't but others have said their's have... But they're off, your headlights & corners work when turned on but the DRLs do not come on & there won't be any lights on in the instrument panel!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
04 Cavy LS Sport

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 5:01 PM
Thanks for the help! I have a 2000 so it should work.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search