OK, need some expert fiberglass help here... - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
OK, need some expert fiberglass help here...
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 8:04 PM
OK, I just got a set of fiberglass fenders for my car today, and before anyone throws out a comment to the effect of "hey dumbass, they don't just bolt on.": I know this. I have also searched all over here trying to find my answer, but to no avail.

Anyway, I have a couple of major fitment problems, one of which is the corner lens bracket that also connects to the bumper frount mounting bar, is installed in the fenders 1/2" too far out. This can not be fixed by redrilling, it must be cut off and reinstalled in the proper position. Anyone else run into this?

My biggest need for help here is on the upper mounting flange that runs parallel to the hood. They are both bent upward severely, and do not sit even close to flat. Any tricks on getting this piece bent down to where it belongs? My only thought on making this work is to carefully cut or grind the inside corner/seam and get the fender installed, then reglass it. This will be a lot of work, and I'm not exactly looking foreward to it. I have never tried applying any kind of heat to fiberglass to see if it can be bent, but is this even possible? I don't have anything else fiberglass to try it on, and I'm not about to f*ck up the fenders by trying it on them.

Anyone with useful info please help. Or, if you have a good website for info on the general subject that can answer my questions, post the link.

Thanks in advance.

PS. anyone have a place I can crash when my wife comes home from her trip with her mother and finds out I just bought a new hood, fenders, and body kit while she was gone?

Re: OK, need some expert fiberglass help here...
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 10:05 PM
hmmm... without seeing it personally I don't know what to tell ya.

I suppose you could crash here LOL... might be a bit of a drive htough

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 10:10 PM
I will go out and take a pic of the metal I told you about
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 10:18 PM
[IMG]http[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v718/krazykovo/IMGP2217.jpg

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 10:19 PM
all you have to do when you have set it is clean it up aftre just before paint
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 10:49 PM
I thought of doing that, but I wasn't looking foreward to that much modding to make them fit. I guess I'll just have to suck it up and dig in. Man am I glad I finished getting the heat installed in the garage.

Thursday, February 24, 2005 3:05 AM
Hey dumbass, they dont just bolt on.

Thursday, February 24, 2005 5:21 AM
Brandon Kidwell wrote:Hey dumbass, they dont just bolt on.

nice
just couldn't resist, huh.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search