Paint Poll - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Paint Poll
Friday, February 25, 2005 8:31 PM
Well guys I have a problem. When it comes to repainting my car, I can do they color I have now (aftermarket) but the engine bay wont match. Or I can go back to my stock color with more clear coat to shine nicely, and then the engine bay will match.

Which do you guys think? Or do you have an alternate suggestion?

Stock:

Aftermarket:

-->Michael Ferrari

Re: Paint Poll
Friday, February 25, 2005 8:46 PM
ok, let me figure this out... your car was just repainted not to long ago with the new color. why are you repainting it AGAIN? everybody's told you at least once, get a set plan in your mind about what you want to do with your car before you start doing @!#$. you've had at least 4 body kits and now 2 paint jobs... and you still aren't sure on what you want. seriously, you need to quit wasting money on ideas that you change 3 weeks later.

Friday, February 25, 2005 8:48 PM
Agree ^ ^ ^ ^
Friday, February 25, 2005 8:53 PM
cannon fodder wrote:ok, let me figure this out... your car was just repainted not to long ago with the new color. why are you repainting it AGAIN? everybody's told you at least once, get a set plan in your mind about what you want to do with your car before you start doing @!#$. you've had at least 4 body kits and now 2 paint jobs... and you still aren't sure on what you want. seriously, you need to quit wasting money on ideas that you change 3 weeks later.

That for that great advice!!! I didnt ask for a financal overview, I asked which color most people like more since I am in between.

Tomarrow I wil post new pictures in the Photo forum and you will see why I need to repaint it... I AM FINISHING MY BEGINNING PLANS!!! It gets annoying when people ask for a simple question and get this in return.

-->Michael Ferrari

Friday, February 25, 2005 8:53 PM
well its up to you. if your going to compete in shows and have your hood fully open then id go back to the stock color or have the engine pulled to paint but that is getting into money right there. if you plan on going to shows and keeping the hood shut, do whatever color you want.

Friday, February 25, 2005 8:56 PM
Yeah Mike thats what i was getting at. Do you all think that the stock color would be alrihgt for a show car though? Its a nice color but seems plain. Maybe some sort of decal or something would bring it out?

And Mike knows way I need to repaint! See you tomarrow Mike!

-->Michael Ferrari

Friday, February 25, 2005 9:12 PM
i told you that because nobody else has to be happy with the color you paint your car. pick which ever one YOU like best and get it done. aight, you want my advice on what color to paint your car? paint it a cherry red. or maybe a gunmetal color. did someone key your entire car or what? why do you need to get the whole thing repainted? why don't you just post it up in here rather than waste another thread?

Friday, February 25, 2005 9:22 PM
I am asking opinions because I am undecided. Alot of people on the org do!

I am posting a whole thing of a lot of my progress in the past few weeks. And tomarrow when I get back from Del. I will have the major part of my re-build

-->Michael Ferrari

Friday, February 25, 2005 9:22 PM
well if your going to make it a show car, i would go w/ a custom color. judges like to see things that arent stock. also when your planning on paint, try to see if its going to match the scheme of your car, like the wheels and interior and whatever else you may add. try to get it all to flow.

Friday, February 25, 2005 9:34 PM
The Ferrari wrote:I am asking opinions because I am undecided. Alot of people on the org do!

and most people get told "do you what you like to your car, not what everyone else likes. make up your own mind. the popular vote usually sucks anyway.

Friday, February 25, 2005 9:42 PM
Quote:

the popular vote usually sucks anyway.

true, alot of people like the in thing just because its in and half the time it looks like crap

Saturday, February 26, 2005 1:39 AM
i like the way it is right now

Saturday, February 26, 2005 4:11 AM
please tell me that your door sills and trunk are painted your aftermarket color at least? honestly i'd say go back to stock because nothing pisses me off more than seeing a car "painted" but still being able to see the stock color in areas like the engine bay and trunk etc. so, go back to the darker purple and add a nice metalflake or maybe even a pearl of some type, that way it will all match up nicely and still not look completely stock for shows

Brian

Saturday, February 26, 2005 6:04 AM
FrostySunfire wrote:please tell me that your door sills and trunk are painted your aftermarket color at least? honestly i'd say go back to stock because nothing pisses me off more than seeing a car "painted" but still being able to see the stock color in areas like the engine bay and trunk etc. so, go back to the darker purple and add a nice metalflake or maybe even a pearl of some type, that way it will all match up nicely and still not look completely stock for shows

Agreed. If it's a show car, keep it all the same. What would cost more? Go back to stock or get the stock colored stuff painted the new color??? I like the new color more and you should have something custom for a show car. I would get your engine bay painted and the other stuff painted the custom color.

Saturday, February 26, 2005 6:17 AM
FrostySunfire wrote:please tell me that your door sills and trunk are painted your aftermarket color at least? honestly i'd say go back to stock because nothing pisses me off more than seeing a car "painted" but still being able to see the stock color in areas like the engine bay and trunk etc. so, go back to the darker purple and add a nice metalflake or maybe even a pearl of some type, that way it will all match up nicely and still not look completely stock for shows

Hmm thats is the input I was looking for. My paint right now has a ton of blue metallic and I love that. If I added some flakes but did not do the enigne bay would it stand out?

Also what exactly is a pearl coat? I here people say it all the time but never realy knew what it was?

-->Michael Ferrari

Saturday, February 26, 2005 7:11 AM
Absolutely paint your car so that the engine bay is the same color. If you can't afford to have the engine bay painted, then go back to stock. Personally, I would find a way to scrape the cash together to get everything painted the way you want. After all the work you've put in, why stop short of doing it right now?

As for pearl, it's a pearlescent additive that get's put in the paint. There are different ways this can be done, and the pearl additive comes in different colors, and different forms. Bottom line is that it's another step in the process. I have had very good luck putting the powdered additive in the first couple of coats of clear.

But to answer your original question, if it comes down to doing the car the color your really want or matching the engine bay, I say match the engine bay.

Saturday, February 26, 2005 8:24 AM
Lets see...

yeah, you should paint the engine bay and jambs this time...

Saturday, February 26, 2005 8:48 AM
like all of them have said, it depends on whether or not you are taking it to shows. If not, then I'd say keep it the custom color cause it looks much better than that dull stock color. On an average day, how many people end up seeing your engine bay.....probably none. But they will all notice that sweet custom paint job on the outside whenever you drive by. I guess it comes down to what you personally like though, not us or anyone else. Apparently everyone else has disagreed with this but I say use the custom color.

Post Edited (02-26-05 8:52 AM)
Saturday, February 26, 2005 9:27 AM
heres an idea...go with your stock color...but have like a rainbow or whatever color you would like flake put in it

Saturday, February 26, 2005 10:44 AM
well of course it`s your car do with it what ya want
but i am seeing from you is puttin more material on top of material now doin that it`s goi to cost you more money to take off that blue that it is now
i would go down to bare metal and start from scratch
when building a car you should sit down have a plan of attack
color
interior
suspension
audio
engine work
stuff like that just don`t do it and waste time and money because that`s all your doin really
if you can draw draw out your vision of what youo want thats what i do
then i build it
stop wasting your money think before you do anything

can i haz bondo
Saturday, February 26, 2005 11:40 AM
You could always paint it the stock color and throw in some pearl or metallic. thats what i did and everyone thinks my color is aftermarket. Just an idea.

Saturday, February 26, 2005 1:44 PM
The Ferrari wrote:I am asking opinions because I am undecided. Alot of people on the org do!

I am posting a whole thing of a lot of my progress in the past few weeks. And tomarrow when I get back from Del. I will have the major part of my re-build

go PINK!!!!

Saturday, February 26, 2005 1:46 PM
JDM cavi best sig ever lol

Saturday, February 26, 2005 1:47 PM
^^ agreed

Saturday, February 26, 2005 4:01 PM
whatever you do, make sure you spend the xtra cash and get the ENTIRE car painted. next year im having my car totally repainted Candy Apple Green. I dont give to craps how much it cost, my car is being total repainted that color inside and out. Do the right thing.....for our sake..

JDM Cav's sig is friggin awesome

<b>APlusperformance.com January 2005 Ride Of The Month
Sponsored by APlusPerformance.com</b>
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search