spray can primer - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
spray can primer
Monday, March 07, 2005 9:12 AM
Will this stuff hold ok? Is their a diffrance between canned primer and the mixed primer when you paint? Thanks 4 any info.

Re: spray can primer
Monday, March 07, 2005 9:33 AM
you really shouldnt use primer from a spray can. it should be a sealed primer i believe

Monday, March 07, 2005 9:33 AM
I rattle can p rimer all the time.. and it stays well w/o a sealer/sealant. But it will come off jsut as any paint would w/o having something to protect it. they genrally "seal" primer out of a gun. Primer thru a paint gun covers faster and is easier to cover evenly. Might be alittle thicker too pending on how much thinner you mix with it. b/c you dont shoot straight pure primer out of paint guns it's too thick to spray. have to thin it out a bit. as for cans.. I'd primered my fenders, front bumper, sides & hood w/ canned primer (easier snce i dont have acess to a shop w/ the stuff when i need it.)just make sure to take your time and do it evenly if you do it use gray primer.. it's thicker and covers surfaces better. lawys do more than 1 coat and make sure you sand between coats to even everything out. tha'ts whut prmer is for to make sure the surface is as flawless as possible and even for the paint to be applied. but if you have acess and know how to shoot a gun (paint gun)and have all you need for it.. buy a gallon of primer w/ sealer and make sure you know how to mix it so you can pray it and it wont clog the gun. it'll run you about $160 for primer (maybe less thats the cost of it all for me give or take) with a gallon you can do a whole car 2 or 3 coats & still have some left over. Black primer in a can should only be used for the look of "flat black" b/c it takes too many layers to cover correctly.. i did my previous set up in primer balck b/c my cavy was black looked nice in teh end but was spendy.

Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
-Saint Augustine
Monday, March 07, 2005 9:56 AM
I do NOT recommend rattle can primer. Comming from a painter/auto body tech, that stuff doesn't come off that well when painting, and all that rattle can primer must be removed before painting professionally... causing even more work for the body shop and potentially driving up the cost in what you're doing.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search