Tinted Taillights illegal? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tinted Taillights illegal?
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 1:40 PM
Is it illegal to have your taillights tinted?

Re: Tinted Taillights illegal?
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 4:40 PM
Well every state has soo many different laws i live in NY and all the law says is that the tails have to be red and shine up to 500ft. I've had mine like this for about a year now and not one ticket. So in all check w/ your local laws before you do anything. (here's some pics of my tails)

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 5:03 PM
Find a cop and ask them and make sure you get there nam and all that

__________________--------------------------____________________
Team: NONE RIGHT NOW
Sponsored By: Pro Trucks
Work Being Done By: creative customs
Stuff for Sell:

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 5:06 PM
I'm in PA...if anyone does know if it's illegal that would be cool, but I will also ask around here. thanks

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 8:12 PM
I've lived in MA, NY, and ME, and I have had tinted tails in all three with zero problems. It is probably mostly a matter of HOW tinted they are. For example, I use the nightshades, and only do about three light coats, then clear for finish/durability. If you put more coats on, they would look a lot more blacked out, probably earning you a ticket. I wouldn't just go ask a cop, because once you do, they might make note of you and be looking (depends on the size of your town ). The best thing to do is ask an inspection station. I would recomend asking a few, because there are places that KNOW the laws, and then there are places that think they're supposed to fail every car with mods on them.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 8:52 PM
Those taillights you have tinted there are BAD-A$$. Looks clean.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday, February 24, 2005 5:13 AM
I live in MI and I have a couple friends who have tinted tail lights (like 100% too) and haven't had any problems with them yet. I think as long as they're lit, and light up when you brake, you'll be alright.

" Geez....don't get your panties in a bunch.."
"Don't think that you have ANY effect on my panties!"
Thursday, February 24, 2005 5:57 AM
in the drying process if i get pulled over it get pulled over(just turn on the lights)

Thursday, February 24, 2005 6:25 AM
what did you use to tint thoes clear tails???

My Sunfire
Thursday, February 24, 2005 6:36 AM
Thursday, February 24, 2005 6:47 AM
Holy sh!t...You paid $12 for that stuff? How big is the can? I usually pick that up for about $8.

Actually, I think the question was directed at SedanCavi114. Looks like he just mixed some clear with some base coat tinting.

Thursday, February 24, 2005 12:37 PM
yeah but i thought i'd put mine up too....there's enough in the bottle to do probably 2 or 3 sets of taillights

Monday, March 07, 2005 4:18 PM
What would you use to tint em dark for use on stock lenses?

2006 Cobalt SS 2.4L 9.6 @74mph 1/8th mile w/2.28 60ft

Monday, March 07, 2005 6:05 PM
No I asked my Friend who works at a police dept. he checked he says all states don't care as long as they reflect red and light up red

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search