All Years DRL Disable and Other Headlight Tricks - Page 6 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: All Years DRL Disable and Other Headlight Tricks
Thursday, December 11, 2008 6:44 PM
Mr. Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Does any one know on a 2000-2005 J if you do this, will you loose the flashing when you press the factory Remote Keyless lock and unlock fob?

If you are referring to just disabling the DRLs, no you will not lose the flashing when you use the remote.

Friday, December 12, 2008 2:36 AM
Yes, I was referring to the no DRLs modification. So even with this done, by me clicking the factory key fob to arm and disarm the alarm every thing should work normal huh. Guess this mod fools the computer into thinking the low beam head lights are on?

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Friday, December 12, 2008 6:51 PM
Mr. Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Yes, I was referring to the no DRLs modification. So even with this done, by me clicking the factory key fob to arm and disarm the alarm every thing should work normal huh. Guess this mod fools the computer into thinking the low beam head lights are on?

That is correct. The headlights will still flash when you use the remote to lock or unlock the doors. All disabling them does is keep the DRLs off without any warning lights or anything coming on. Besides that everything works exactly the same.

Monday, December 22, 2008 9:15 PM
So I can't keep my fogs on with high-beams on my 2003 Cavalier?
Thursday, December 25, 2008 10:28 PM
should still be able to pull the relay and jump two terminals.

Did I mention I drive a 2000 Lumina now?-----wigm-tuners.org member
Saturday, January 31, 2009 6:18 AM
so how do i stop my hids from flickering when using the key fob to lock and unlock the car

black 03 z24 with a few mods
Saturday, January 31, 2009 1:37 PM
Zach Reliford wrote:So I can't keep my fogs on with high-beams on my 2003 Cavalier?

There is a way, but it means getting to know the wiring on your vehicle. Namely, learning how the ground circuit of the fog-lamp relay works. That's how it was on my '94 S-truck so I don't know if it's the same for your J-car. Probably is, knowing mass-production methods (Worked this way here, so let's do the same over there). If it is the same, then what you need to do is locate the fog-lamp relay (This will most likely be under the dash) and indentify the ground wire to it (Might be Lt.Green). Once you have, clip it at a good length away from the relay & run it (The length going to the relay!) to a good chassis ground close-by (The steering column dash-mount worked for me, since it was underdash) and insulate the the other part of the clipped wire.

Now to explain what was going on, and what you did:

The ground circuit for the fog-lamp relay was tied to the high-beam circuit of the headlamps. When the high-beams were off, the relay would ground through it & the fog-lamps would light when switched on. When the high-beams would come on, +12v would run through the circuit. Since the relay needs needs a ground (-12v) to pull the internal arm to close the contacts that make +12v run to the fog-lamps, running +12v through that circuit from another source takes that ground away. Which causes the contacts to open & well... you know thw rest. By changing the the ground circuit from an "interuptible" (working through the high-beam positive circuit) to a permanantly fixed one (the chassis) the fog-lamps will remain on, so long as the "running" lights are on.

Wanna try something really cool? Find "driving" style lenses for your fog-lamps & 100w replacement bulbs (Don't worry, the factory harness will be able to handle the load). Once you have that together, turn on just the running lights & you "fog" lamps. Having them on like that makes for a cool visual when entering a scene, and acts as a good substitute for if one your headlamps fails. (Done it myself!)

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Saturday, January 31, 2009 4:22 PM
also this is on a 03 cav

Monday, February 09, 2009 12:11 PM
I would also like to know how to disable the blinking of the headlights when I unlock and lock the car.

Danny
2004 Sunburst Orange Cavalier
check it out here @ www.cardomain.com/id/orange04cavy
Monday, February 09, 2009 12:24 PM
To my understanding it can be done through the dealer using GM's Tech-2, but some electronic guru here would sure know how to do it with out going to the dealer.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Friday, February 13, 2009 7:54 AM
I did this on my 2001 sunfire and now i have the service light on, the little wrench light. I grounded the blue wire to the bcm to the ALDL bracket. No DRLs however.

Friday, February 13, 2009 12:55 PM
So I did this on my 95 cavalier. When I cut the tan wire it turned off my drls, but the DRL light is flashing :[

Anyone run into this? Sure I can tape it over, but I'd like to know what's involved in disabling it.
Ground the side on the dash?
I'll probably dive in and try it, if it works, you'll know.

Friday, February 13, 2009 2:27 PM
Correction:

Tan wire wasn't it. I reconnected it and it still does it because my HID ballasts don't turn on with the low voltage the drls send out.

Tan, Blue next to purple, and light blue are not it either. Yes, I just cut wires willy-nilly, I know.

Any ideas for me? I'm trying to track down a wiring diagram but so far nothing.

Friday, February 13, 2009 6:31 PM
that quick splice connector is the cats ass, so freaking handy!!

did i just pass something? ahhh its only honda
Thursday, February 26, 2009 10:51 AM
will my high beam work again if I do this disable?

Thursday, February 26, 2009 3:48 PM
If you do it right, yes. Remember: You just want to clip the lead for the relay's ground terminal & run it to a permanently fixed ground, like the steering-column mount.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Thursday, February 26, 2009 3:54 PM
Robbywu wrote:will my high beam work again if I do this disable?

Assuming your car's electrical system hasn't been modified.... If your high beams don't work right now... then no, this won't fix them. All this will do is disable the DRL's.

If your high beams don't work... you need to fix that problem. Disabling the DRL's won't fix anything else.

Saturday, February 28, 2009 10:42 AM
well i'm assuming that my high beam doesn't work because the DRL's are not working. I replaced the relay behind the drivers side headlamp and still nothing

Saturday, February 28, 2009 10:48 AM
It's the other way around... if your high beams don't work, then the DRL's won't either. You have a problem with the high beams, and simply disabling the DRL's won't likely fix it.

Sunday, March 01, 2009 5:17 PM
ohh ok...well i guess ill be checking out some wiring

Saturday, March 07, 2009 4:40 AM
when i disabled my DRL's in my 04, I just opened the fuse box on the drivers side of the dash, and took out a relay that was marked DRL. It was easy and everything else still works.

Sunday, March 08, 2009 6:39 PM
Mike Lanzoni wrote:when i disabled my DRL's in my 04, I just opened the fuse box on the drivers side of the dash, and took out a relay that was marked DRL. It was easy and everything else still works.

and got a light on the dash tho no?

Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:36 AM
I saw at the beging of the thread for 95 to 99 it says you can use a tech 2 can i also use a tech 2 to do it to my 05. Becuase i have one.
Thursday, May 07, 2009 1:30 PM
Probably a very stupid question, but I'll ask it nonetheless...... does jumper the wires mean just connect them to eachother, or do you need to buy an extra wire to do this?

Thanks
Saturday, May 23, 2009 7:35 AM
my drs @!#$ out a while back... just stopped working. no lights on the dash or anything... all thou.. my highbeam indicator is always on, weather lights are on or off or high or low beam. the lights work fine thou. ideas?

Fireboy153
Brady Fire Co. - Station 150
Long Live The Sunflower! (yea its not so "cool")
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search