All Years DRL Disable and Other Headlight Tricks - Page 7 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: All Years DRL Disable and Other Headlight Tricks
Thursday, May 28, 2009 11:15 PM
i lost my freaking haynes manual!! so i have no idea what wires are ground/hot on my car, trying to hook relays up to keep low beams and fog lights on with the high beams, i traced the wires and found no grounding points for them anywhere, traced them all the way to the firewall...any one have any idea wich wires are wich, they are all different colors, have blue, orange, pink and a few others running to the headlights

Re: All Years DRL Disable and Other Headlight Tric
Wednesday, July 08, 2009 4:54 PM
Luis Baptista wrote:Very clear drawing for fog lights, since my car is a 96 all i did for them was cut the pink wire as was posted. Now for the the Low Beams to stay on with the Hi Beams, This is how I did it and it is working OK ,after two blown 15 amps left hi beam fuses, I got some help from my bro who knows his way in electronics :
You only need one relay, guess it is because the high beams are in parallel, the bosh 30 amp 4 pins, will be enough
1º Pin 30 to low beam ground
2º Pin 85 to positive hi beam
3º Pin 86 to ground hi beam
4º Pin 87 to ground
¡Voi la, when you turn the high beams you do not loose the low beams!
Only minus is I lost the bright pilot light on the dash.

Ok I want to do this to my '96 and keep the DRLs if possible. I assume it would cause the low beams to be on with the daytime running lights? Would it be possible to simply install a toggle switch in the power wire to the relay to cause the lights to come on when you have the high beams on? Thanks guys looking forward to learning from you!
Monday, July 13, 2009 7:52 PM
So I tried this and I have had my DRL's disabled for a yeard now just by messing with the relay, but I had the service light come on because of it and the DRL green light would blink every time i put the car in drive.

I have a '02 and just got back from unplugging the middle plug cutting the blue and grounding it, and plugging it back in, I tried multiple grounds and each one sparked which I know is a bad thing, lol.

so what in the heck is going on?

Monday, July 13, 2009 7:59 PM
And a note, it sparked before I plugged it back in when I went to ground it.

Monday, July 13, 2009 8:38 PM
Nevermind. wow im an idiot.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:58 PM
can someone help me out pleeeeeeeease! i really wanna disable the DRLs but i cant figure out the removal of said "topper pad".. i usually figure stuff out on my own but the interior is mint and i really dont want to experiment and damage my dash. 96 sunfire se btw.. just point me in the right direction cause the search button isnt turning up any helpful results for me. thanx in advance

Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:17 PM
Open fuse door, take it out
Through the opening, grab the panel that the fuse door was in, pull it out (direction: out the door)
The other side is the same, but you need to grab it from the bottom.
There is one 7mm screw under each of the panels you just removed.

Open glove box
Remove (3) 7mm screws from the top edge
Remove (2) gold 7mm screws inside and toward the back the glovebox

Remove (1) phillips from defrost vent in center of upper dash
Pull out, it's held in with clips.
There will be (2), sometimes just (1) 7mm screws under where the vent was

Pull up the top pad, starting at the driver's side, above the best.
From this point you can just pull.

if you need to remove the besel, undo (3) 7mm from the top, then pull the panel toward yourself.

Friday, July 17, 2009 10:51 AM
aweeeeeeeeesooooooome! im gonna do it this weekend. thanx Brad!

Monday, July 20, 2009 5:40 PM
i did it today... instructions were pretty good, although it wouldnt be a bad thing to update the OP from "cut the smaller blue wire" to "cut the smaller DARK blue wire". i know im not the only one that cut the light blue one first lol and realized thats not right and had to patch my mistake and cut the dark one..

Sunday, August 02, 2009 8:04 PM
Hey All,

I just did this to my 2005 cavailer but my service light is being tripped and when I first turn the car on my daytimes flash for a couple seconds but then they stay off. Is this supposed to happen? I had done the relay trick in the fuse panel but got the same side effects. I did this because I thought that this would cause no side effects. I am getting my car tuned this week so I can get the light shut off but would be nice if I didnt have too. I guess I might of got a bad splice to the ground wire or something though, just let me know!

Thanks!
Chris Stickles
Tuesday, August 04, 2009 10:19 AM
I redid the crimp on the wires and everything checks out now. My service light isnt coming on and my drl dont flash when turning the car on! Problem solved!

Sunday, August 30, 2009 8:33 PM
wow thanks so much. i installed HIDs to my 2002 and it triggered my drl service light. this here is totaly correct. it worked! thanku so much!!!
Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:53 PM
I just looked through this whole thread, but I may have missed it. I am getting a set of one piece projectors for a 95/99 cav and I am wondering if there is a way to use the DRL's to control the halo and leds in the housing. I am looking for the halo to turn on with ignition, and off with headlights.

Is there any wire down by the headlights that would allow me to do this, or would I be able to run a wire to the cut wire from the harness used to disable them? Any help would be appreciated.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:07 PM
Easiest way would be to run a relay off your high beam/DRL wire. That way they would come on with DRLs and also with high beams but no one will really ever see them in that case.

You don't need a relay, but if you don't use it the halos will only see 5V when the DRLs are running so they will be dim.

Thursday, October 01, 2009 8:13 PM
thanks alot for the info

Thursday, October 01, 2009 9:08 PM
I wired my halos up to ignition.

I like it.

Thursday, October 08, 2009 12:08 PM
can someone help me im pullin my hair out here.. i clipped the small blue wire on my 97 cavy but once i did that my drl's stayed on with my e brake up and down.. did i do something wrong??
Friday, October 23, 2009 8:36 PM
need some help here guys....

I did the DRL disable on my 05 cavalier today, However, when I grounded the cable, my HID headlights just stayed on no matter what! even if the key was out of the ignition and the lights were in the off position.

Thus I removed the ground and then it worked perfectly so that the DRLs were disabled, but the daytimes flash and then the DRL service lights go on. I want to fix it by connecting the ground again, but then the problem of the lights staying on comes around.

What the heck did I do wrong?
Saturday, October 24, 2009 12:13 AM
Either you didn't cut the wire... or you grounded the side that doesn't go to the module (the other side goes to the headlights... so that would explain the headlights coming on.)

Ground the other side of the wire you cut... should work. The side that goes into the BCM goes to ground.

Saturday, October 24, 2009 12:26 AM
forgive me its 2:30 am and im tired as fuk so heres what i think you mean

brain shot kill me plz

Saturday, October 24, 2009 12:29 AM
yay me for posting on the wrong thread

Monday, October 26, 2009 10:23 AM
ahhhhhhh that totally makes sense.

Thanks John. You saved me a huge headache.
Sunday, January 24, 2010 2:38 PM
Did mine Friday night,sweet little mod.
Now just waiting on my hid's to get here.

Saturday, February 27, 2010 2:21 PM
Great thread and I am about to go do mine! Only question I have was on the 05 what did he mean by loop in the ground wire?
Sunday, February 28, 2010 11:34 AM
ok i got a question, i have a 98 sunfire with with a 99 GT front bumper, and im wondering if i can make it so the round orange marker lights come on instead of the headlights for drl's, like on some of the newer cars

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search