How To: Remove and polish Ecotec Valve Cover - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How To: Remove and polish Ecotec Valve Cover
Friday, October 27, 2006 3:34 PM
Aight first things first, PLAN AHEAD,make sure you have at least 2 days free that you dont need the car or another valve cover.

Step 1:
Remover the 4 (10mm) bolts holding the idi cover

Step 2:
Slide throtle cables out and remove 2 (10mm) nuts on theside of the valve cover holding the fuel rail

Step 3:
Remover the 10 (10mm) bolts and rubber washers on bothe sides of the valve cover

Step 4:
Remove the idi cover and take out the 4 (10mm) bolts and rubber washers in the middle

Step 5:
Grab a pry bar and insert it into an area where you removed one of the bolts and rubber washers, not touching the valve cover gasket, and gently seprerate it.
When you have them appart slide the valve cover back to the left a little bit to remove the ground cable bolt with a wrench which is on the drivers side.

Step 6:
Take that cover off and and replace it with another valve cover or a clean trash bag

Step 7:
Time to wear that arm out sanding

start with a low grit if you have lots of bubbles and stains 100 to 400. You want to spend a good amount of time doing this because the higher grits are just going to removing the scratches made by your lower grits. It should look something like this when done.

Step 8:
Move up in grit to 600 then up to 800 and remove the scratches from the lower grits.

Step 9:
Put it in the sink and wet sand with running water with 1500 grit and move up to 2000 grit.

Step 10:
Grab the mothers aluminum polish and follow directions, do it a couple times.

Step 11:
Replace Ground wire and throttle cable bracket bolts. Replace valve cover and tighten down going in one direction so there are no bubbles left in the gasket. Replace idi cover and bolts.

***BLING BLING***

Kill list:03 eclipse, 06 GTO, 04 Mach 1 Mustang

Re: How To: Remove and polish Ecotec Valve Cover
Saturday, October 28, 2006 4:26 AM

Nice, I was planning on doing this shortly to paint the Valve Cover to match the Exterior Paint (Victory red/black/silver engine bay), it's a nice little heads up for what to be careful about as I'm pulling up the cover.

Thanks man, good stuff!
Saturday, October 28, 2006 8:07 AM
sticky!!!

Saturday, October 28, 2006 10:44 AM
no @!#$, nice man.

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims
Saturday, October 28, 2006 10:25 PM
what kind of gasket is under there? rubber glue? a big rubber piece? looks like a good idea, i have a turbo but dont want anything leaking after
Sunday, October 29, 2006 4:26 AM
you should be ok to re use the gasket, just be careful, i have had mine off twice and no problems leaking.

Sunday, October 29, 2006 4:27 AM
Import Killer wrote:what kind of gasket is under there? rubber glue? a big rubber piece? looks like a good idea, i have a turbo but dont want anything leaking after

its a gasket. not glue. i'm actually taking mine apart today to install my powdercoated valve cover. look for pics today. have some other changes happenin too.

my carDomain updated 10/21/06

I've got premium. Yes I do. I've got premium. How 'bout you?

Sunday, October 29, 2006 5:00 PM
sticky?

Monday, October 30, 2006 5:52 AM
ok, so i took mine off last night, started sanding and wetsanding. but i was wondering, after the 2000grit wet sanding, it it possible to spray a couple coats of clear coat over the valve cover so u dont have to polish it all the time?
Monday, October 30, 2006 8:10 AM
ive heard of some people doing that it wouldnt hurt to try use a high heat type, if it dosent work u could always just sand the clear coat off and polish again

Monday, October 30, 2006 8:38 AM
yea i guess, does anyone recommend a certain product that works well? (clear coat)

Monday, October 30, 2006 8:46 AM
There's that clear coat enamel for engines at any auto store. Same aisle as the spray paint. Just
look for the clear top.
Monday, October 30, 2006 9:24 AM
after you sand it make sure you use the polish on it though before you clear coat it. just using the polish makes it about twice as shiny as just the sand paper.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, October 30, 2006 5:31 PM
will the clear coat stick to it if there is polish on it?
Monday, October 30, 2006 8:02 PM
yea it should, once its back on and dryed and u drive it around for a min it sould be baked on, just dont touch it for a while

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 5:33 AM
nice woork

www.MRZ Performance.com
Sales@mrzperformance.com
Custom performance and appearance mods that really Stand Out from the Crowd.
-------------------------------------------------

Saturday, May 09, 2009 7:59 PM
sorry to bring this back but what kind of polish would you use? aluminum polish or would neverdull work?

03 cavalier
us amps 100hc running at .5 ohms
digital designs 3512
yellow top g34
kenwood ddx-8019
Saturday, May 09, 2009 8:13 PM
For aluminum, Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish works much better than Neverdull.

Jim
Sunday, May 10, 2009 7:34 AM
97probe wrote:For aluminum, Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish works much better than Neverdull.

X2, when I did mine I used it with a mini Mothers powerball and it came out great

Sunday, May 10, 2009 8:42 AM
locdizzel wrote:sticky?

yeah right they havn't stickied anything lately theres been 3 topics plus this that should be stickied and it hasn't happened

good post tho and the pics help out the poin tof these stickys is to cut down on regular post made about a certain topic and this should help

i know i will have a rear disc topic to sticky in the next couple months but i likely wont post the how to because it wont get stickied

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, May 13, 2009 9:21 AM
NOTa2_4 wrote:
locdizzel wrote:sticky?

yeah right they haven't stickied anything lately there's been 3 topics plus this that should be stickied and it hasn't happened

good post tho and the pics help out the point of these stickys is to cut down on regular post made about a certain topic and this should help

i know i will have a rear disc topic to sticky in the next couple months but i likely wont post the how to because it wont get stickied

it should just go into the how-to section that has never been updated either.

Thursday, May 14, 2009 6:27 AM
Just FYI the same process works on 2200 heads polishing wise. Its what I did.

Sunday, May 17, 2009 1:20 PM
Not bad but you get better results if you use a multi-step polishing compound system. If you do it right you only need to hand sand up to 1000 grit and then you switch to bushing wheels with different compounds on them.

Here is a fuel rail I did for my Firebird.

Start

End

I used Tripoli compound on a tight buff wheel and white rouge on a loose wheel. No need for anything else except a light coat of wax.

97 Cavalier 2.2 5-speed, 88 Camaro IROC-Z 5.7 auto, 91 Firebird Formula 5.7 auto, 88 Conquest TSi 2.6T 5 speed, 93 Silverado ECSB 5.7 auto, 83 Mazda RX-7
Monday, May 18, 2009 6:26 PM
would this method work on a 2.4 valve cover? ive been wanting to get that stupid grungy thing shiny again but if i can do it myself like this thatd be awesome. I'm just curious cuz it has texture to it so this might not work as well
Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:33 PM
Here is mine. Just installed it today using your method. The only thing I did differently is use Turtle Wax rubbing compound after 800 grit to finish smothing out the part. Then I hit it with Mothers Aluminum & Mag polish. It came out nice.

Cheers

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search