toyota cavalier gas door & interior popper - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
toyota cavalier gas door & interior popper
Tuesday, December 05, 2006 7:32 PM
does anyone have the toyota gas door & or interior popper part number?

i searched and didnt find jack.

any help would be most appreciated.

Portage, MI

Re: toyota cavalier gas door & interior popper
Tuesday, December 05, 2006 10:43 PM
hmmm good one...id try to get a hold of mike (TRD901Z i think....)

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 11:07 PM
This may or may not help and im sure you've already looked but here is the link to the item on street-line.

http://street-line.net/jdm/toy_cav/parts/fuel.htm

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 3:26 AM
^^the way that mounts is on the pass side.. so if u tried to mount it on the driverside u would have to flip it 180. so instead of the lever pulling back ud just pull it forward.. but then how would the cables work cuz that will put a bind in teh cable having to go forward then do a 180 to the back..

ryan, i was thinking about doing this a while back and i was looking to get one off a 3000GT.. i cant remember what year exactly it was but i noticed it when we were doing body work on a friend's 3000 in the shop. Their gas door is on the pass side with the lever on the right.. so it should work i would think.. im sure u could get something fabbed up from it.. my buddies 99 Civic also has it but the gas door is on the driverside.. so u wouldnt have enough cable..

but then i just said @!#$ it.. im gonna shave it lol

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 7:26 AM
i have yet to install mine, but i'm using the factory trunk release cable, the bracket will not work properly on the LHD cavalier

i've gotten the thing painted, and i need to drill a hole from inside the trunk to the wheel well to get it to work... good thing i have the fender liner's, they'll help hide the hole, and keep @!#$ from flying up into the trunk.

am i one of the only ppl with one? i've got the door, puller mechanism, and a few other things...

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 9:50 AM
no you arent the only one that has one ive got everything to make it work on my car, just dont have the ambition to put it in and get it painted, lol. oh well! lol

-ruen- if you get one and install post pics, i wanna see how you set up the release

simple minds talk about other people.
average minds talk about events.
great minds discuss ideas
Wednesday, December 06, 2006 10:09 AM
manta z wrote:^^the way that mounts is on the pass side.. so if u tried to mount it on the driverside u would have to flip it 180. so instead of the lever pulling back ud just pull it forward.. but then how would the cables work cuz that will put a bind in teh cable having to go forward then do a 180 to the back..

ryan, i was thinking about doing this a while back and i was looking to get one off a 3000GT.. i cant remember what year exactly it was but i noticed it when we were doing body work on a friend's 3000 in the shop. Their gas door is on the pass side with the lever on the right.. so it should work i would think.. im sure u could get something fabbed up from it.. my buddies 99 Civic also has it but the gas door is on the driverside.. so u wouldnt have enough cable..

but then i just said @!#$ it.. im gonna shave it lol

Don't use a 3000gt's Stephan, they tend to malfunction a lot. Why, I don't know but I can tell you it's very fustrating.

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Wednesday, December 06, 2006 1:52 PM
whoa whoa.... i didnt know that the toyo cav had a diff. gas door!!!!!

what... does it not have the lil tab sticking out to pull it out?

very cool... i might just hafta do this now.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 1:54 PM
Homunculus[6(sic)6 wrote: -ruen- if you get one and install post pics, i wanna see how you set up the release

x2

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 6:23 PM
I need some part numbers people.

Im thinking about going to a yard, and pulling one off a junker car. Then shaving down the tab, and do a little medal work...and repaint it.

Portage, MI
Wednesday, December 06, 2006 6:50 PM

Portage, MI

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 6:54 PM
what about using a door popper?

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 6:56 PM
wouldnt that be too much force? the gas door cant be more than a lb or two...

Portage, MI
Wednesday, December 06, 2006 7:06 PM
what about using the parts off of an 80's 300zx ? that was what I was thinking of doing, I have just been trying to figure out the door part.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 7:06 PM
well a solenoid like the door popper ones with less force they arent that expensive and just put a rubber iece on the ens so tou dont put little dents in the gas door.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 7:07 PM
or better yet make it spring loaded with a hood latch. you could get parts at the junkyard

Thursday, December 07, 2006 5:17 AM
TRD_CAV (poisioncavi) wrote:hmmm good one...id try to get a hold of mike (TRD901Z i think....)
Mike doesn't have the parts number book anymore. Streetline now has that book, but I'm not sure he is just going to give that out.

As for openin' the door you can just push on the other side of the door on the right to open it. I've seen many other makes and models do this.

Thursday, December 07, 2006 6:26 AM
ive seen soem cars where you just push the door down and its spring loaded... one side has like a rubber deally that springs in and out, but truth be told... i think id rather have it locked from the outside and have a cable from the inside to open it

this is seriously badass, and im very surprised i never knew about this.
this item WILL be a mod for me to do.

Thursday, December 07, 2006 6:49 AM
you should mod a USDM one, looks easy just cut and patch the hole

"HONDA" tech wana-be

http://www.gadomestics.com/
Thursday, December 07, 2006 7:47 AM
and its not that easy to just pop it open, there's a little tab on the toyota door that gets pulled behind the stock tab thats there, i was just testing fitment and got it stuck in there, was a pain to pop it back out lol

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Thursday, December 07, 2006 8:54 PM
ihave a kit for sale.. just no door..

. member 1244or55
.http://www22.ocn.ne.jp/~cavalier

Thursday, December 07, 2006 9:48 PM
I have the door, and I'll be using the fuel door popper from a Buick Park Avenue... it's electric

Friday, December 08, 2006 9:06 AM
John Lenko wrote:I have the door, and I'll be using the fuel door popper from a Buick Park Avenue... it's electric

wow that sounds like an awesome idea!!!!!!! may have to look into that!

simple minds talk about other people.
average minds talk about events.
great minds discuss ideas
Friday, December 08, 2006 9:21 AM
John Lenko wrote:I have the door, and I'll be using the fuel door popper from a Buick Park Avenue... it's electric

my god man, when ur done with your car... its going to have one of something off of EVERY gm newer car ever made!!!!

lol its going to be a gm supercar... the best of the best of the best of the best rolled into one awesome lenko beast.

Friday, December 08, 2006 3:11 PM
yeah i'll have go to wrecker shopping and find an electric popper, much better than using a cable that can freeze up... mind you the motor could too, but its probably less likely

i'll get it all painted up, and install it, will defeintly look great, i cant wait!

i miss my car its parked for winter

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search