EYE LIDS - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
EYE LIDS
Friday, December 08, 2006 2:50 PM
Sorry for all the questions but i havent posted alot here before now and im getting interested in what everyones got to say.....

Iv got a set of Eye Lids for my car...once i order a new hood im going to mold them on...how hard is it to mold these eyelids on a fiberglass hood?

Re: EYE LIDS
Friday, December 08, 2006 3:00 PM
Sunfire or Cavalier ?

Friday, December 08, 2006 3:12 PM
01 sunfire
Friday, December 08, 2006 3:16 PM
I cant remember what site it is, but they make the fiberglass invader hood for the 95-02 sunfire with eyelids built in; so you dont have to worry about welding your own on; i think it might be www.whiteboy.ca; not sure, i am probaly wrong; but someone on here should know,.

98 j-body sedan

Friday, December 08, 2006 3:39 PM

Friday, December 08, 2006 4:49 PM
iv emailed them guys like ten times over the last year an i bet they only replyed 2 1 of my emails if im not mistaken...id like to buy a few things from them but im not sure hot trust worthy they are...has anyone got any parts from them. and if so how were they do deal with?
Friday, December 08, 2006 5:13 PM
maybe b/c they're really busy making parts for cheap cars?

Friday, December 08, 2006 9:51 PM
Its not hard to do at all. here are some basic steps to mold eyelids onto a glass or carbon hood.

if you have your template already, use it. otherwise mock one up out of cardboard or something like that. drill holes around the edge of the hood so your resin can seep through and then sand so the finish is roughed up and your resin will bind.

then lay the glass (i used scrap carbon) over and resin it.

hit up the underside of the hood next

trim the edges and sand. then toss some filler on it to take care of any low spots. my nose had some chips in it so i took care of those too.

then sand your first layer and hit it up again. i put too much hardener in my second batch so it went to jelly on me in the middle of applying it. boo

afterwards sand it down again and you should be ready to go. primer and paint like normal. here are the results if done right.

Check out my CARDOMAIN page
Sunday, December 10, 2006 1:11 AM
^^Very nice. Bookmarked for later

Monday, December 11, 2006 12:08 PM
WOW thats a wonderful job on that hood.
Monday, July 21, 2008 4:13 PM
that looks sweet, but what i am wondering, is would that method work on a stock hood? (the drilling holes, etc... ) or would you have to stick to the welding them on?

or could you even just drill a hole or two about an inch in diameter and then follow this procedure? because since there is two holes an inch in diameter(on each eyelid),
there is 3.14 inches of surface area to bond together.. so would that be sufficient enough?

Monday, July 21, 2008 4:48 PM
if its a metal hood just weld it. you'll thank yourself later
i don't advise glassing to metal due to the difference in expansion rates

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search