Gauging interest in custom LED taillights (parts)..... - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Gauging interest in custom LED taillights (parts).....
Wednesday, April 25, 2007 6:19 PM
this is not for the light walleted LOL.

i have a supplier who will map, solder, wire, and mount LED's as to how i send him the plotted LED sheet. what happens is that i have a sheet of grid paper similer to this, but much smaller grids:

what i do then is take off the taillight lens, trace the shape of the taillight housing onto the grid paper so that the grid paper will now slide into the housing. after i have achieved this perfect shape, i then trace that onto another sheet of grid paper for the other taillight.

now i fill in the grids as to where i would like an LED placed. making sure i leave at leas one full square between the edge of the housing and the LED's.

when i am satisfied with both sides and my pattern, the grids are plotted onto a program that diagrams the wiring and such. after this is all achieved, all the information is sent to a company that does all the work. they lay the solder, mount the LED's, and also all the diodes and resisters. they also provide the plug that will plug into your stock harness!

there are many many different options as to how you would like to personalize your taillights. you can have amber turn signals, red brakes, and white back ups. or red turn, and red brake. you can also have them sequential too! such as if you wanted to turn left, you could have rows of LED's shaped as this ( < < < < ), and have the first arrow on the right light up just before the next and so on! or you can have a round cluster of LED's, and have the center of the cluster light up before the next row of circles, and so on.

now, i am not going to be building any taillights. half the people on here know that i have NO time at all to bring on new projects. BUT, if i can provide the boards made, and the clear lenses, you will just have to mount the boards, and mount the lenses. here are pictures of my buddies '94 prelude we did as a test car.....

STOCK:

TAKEN APART:

CUSTOM LED BOARD MOUNTED INTO HOUSING:

RED LENS MOUNTED AGAIN:

LIGHTS ON:

BRAKES ON (with camera flash on):

BRAKES ON (with camera flash off):

these are very very bright! like i said, i dont have a whole lot of time, but i will answer as many emails as possible as well as posts on here. please try to not PM me LOL. this is all a work in progress. we are getting ready to set up a group buy with the prelude fellas, and would like you to join in too in order to receive the best possible price for you. so far we are looking at around 275.00-300.00 shipped. still quite a bit more than what i would like, but then again i havnt said that i will have 10-20 orders coming to them. so if you think you may be able to want these for between 250-300, let me know and ill let them know how many possible orders we have to come if they present the right price.

thanks everybody for your support!!!

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-

Re: Gauging interest in custom LED taillights (parts).....
Wednesday, April 25, 2007 6:27 PM
*raises hand* -- I'll even take an unassembled setup to save cost . I can't seem to get a decent setup going. too many ideas, and like yourself not enough time

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 6:57 PM
i wouldnt mind havin a set to buy

I NEED a 97-99 LD9 engine harness for an auto.PM if u hav info.!!
Wednesday, April 25, 2007 7:43 PM
THOSE LOOK SWEET! You could get some pretty nice looking setups with some imagination

www.TaillightTinting.com #1 SOURCE FOR VHT NITE SHADES
www.aPlusPerformance.com BACK ONLINE SOMETIME SOON!
PHONE 763-682-9945

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 7:45 PM
Oh, couple quick questions... If you can, could you get the specs on the LED's (specifically mcd's and viewing angle) and are the amber ones true orange or the yellow kind that gets passed off as amber? Also a day shot, around 5 or 6pm, sun at your back? You can PM me the info if need be and I can decipher it from there

Alot to ask, I know...

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 9:07 PM
that looks awsome. put some nightshade over the lenses so you dont see the bord and youre set.
Wednesday, April 25, 2007 9:09 PM
I don't like how you can see the board, but it's a good idea. Get your hand in that, Josh!

RIP Lt. Cmdr. Kevin Davis
Thursday, April 26, 2007 12:40 AM
SICK! If I had $250 I would for sure buy them, Just cant say a positive YES right now. Would be especially sweet in a set of 95-99 toyos, with a Amber LED's outlining the turn signal section and red LED's outlining the brake light section!

Thursday, April 26, 2007 3:20 AM
great questions, concerns and points everyone!
Kardain wrote:Oh, couple quick questions... If you can, could you get the specs on the LED's (specifically mcd's and viewing angle) and are the amber ones true orange or the yellow kind that gets passed off as amber? Also a day shot, around 5 or 6pm, sun at your back? You can PM me the info if need be and I can decipher it from there

Alot to ask, I know...

i will answer all of that when i get home from work. sorry, got like 3 minute before i gotta get ready LOL.
neb15 wrote:that looks awsome. put some nightshade over the lenses so you dont see the bord and youre set.

yea, i am going to form black ABS over the housing and drilling the areas out where the LED's are. i just wanted to show what they will look like when you get them. you can do anything you want to them when you get them back. paint, nightshade, etc..

Alexis wrote:I don't like how you can see the board, but it's a good idea. Get your hand in that, Josh!

LOL, somebody beat ya to it LOL. but yea, i just wanted to show what it looks like when/if you didnt touch the board after you got them back.
SEC-Z wrote:SICK! If I had $250 I would for sure buy them, Just cant say a positive YES right now. Would be especially sweet in a set of 95-99 toyos, with a Amber LED's outlining the turn signal section and red LED's outlining the brake light section!

fantasic idea bud! but this would require 2 boards per light it looks like. so it may cost a tad more. but we can iron all of the details when the time comes.

thanks jason and rick for the kind words!!!

ok, ill get back to you rob with those specs when i get home from work.

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-
Thursday, April 26, 2007 8:31 AM
2 smaller boards....does that count?

Thursday, April 26, 2007 9:07 AM
So you finally decided to start messin with tail lights huh bud PM me your address again josh so I can send out the lights.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 3:54 PM
they are sick looking .. especially the toyo idea i wonder how it will look with the 2k ones !

Thursday, April 26, 2007 5:45 PM
ecotecpower wrote:PM me your address again josh so I can send out the lights.

I think I still have your address Josh, but I have a spare set of Fire coupe tails I can donate to the cause

Izn Trbl wrote:ok, ill get back to you rob with those specs when i get home from work.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 6:45 PM
SEC-Z wrote:2 smaller boards....does that count?

well, ya know. i may jut have different options listed, and the price that follows those options. so that may be one of them. i dont think i will be abel to charge the same for each different application due to some people may want a certain amount of LED's and such. so mayabe i can just have 3-4 different options people can choose from.
ecotecpower wrote:So you finally decided to start messin with tail lights huh bud PM me your address again josh so I can send out the lights.

LOL, hey matt. shoot me an email bud!
john v wrote:they are sick looking .. especially the toyo idea i wonder how it will look with the 2k ones !

thanks john! yea, i really dont know what the 2000's would look like.

Kardain wrote:
ecotecpower wrote:PM me your address again josh so I can send out the lights.

I think I still have your address Josh, but I have a spare set of Fire coupe tails I can donate to the cause

Izn Trbl wrote:ok, ill get back to you rob with those specs when i get home from work.

thanks a TON rob, but i have some taills here to play with. remember all the housings i was using as molds that started getting flat from the heat and pressure LOL.

as for the specs., i have just a few only. what i am working on getting is a full description and details of them.

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-
Thursday, April 26, 2007 7:13 PM
Oh yeah. that's right. actually, i didn't think you'd hang on to those... sneaky sneaky

Anyhow, no hurry on the specs. I know you're busy.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 7:22 PM
Josh, awesome idea. for jsut the circuit board, how much would it be for a set of sunfire tails? 2dr.

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Friday, April 27, 2007 6:56 AM
I sent you an e-mail last week josh LOL

Saturday, April 28, 2007 2:51 PM
ive been asked for some day shots of what they look like. these are taken here in california, clear sunny day around 1:00-2:00 in the afternoon:

LIGHTS OFF:

LIGHTS ON:

BRAKES ON:

we have also had the turn signals done too.

just havnt put them in yet.

what i have done (for the fires right now) is cut a grid pattern for the taillights. i have scanned this onto my computer and can send this file to who ever may be interested in this. when i send the file, you just print it out and fill in the grids where you would like an LED. here is a picture of what the file looks like:

now, all you have to do is request this file, print it out as many times as you wish, plot as many different configurations of LED as you want, and send it back to me with a detailed description as to how you would like the LED's to work and colors via snail mail, fax, or you can scan it and send it back to me. i will re-plot the LED's onto the final sheet, and sent it off to get made.

as for specs, all i got are that they are 90' angle, 5mm flux LED. that's all i got for you rob. give me a call, and i may be able to get some more if you need it. but you can see in the day shots that they are as well as OEM along with 100,000 hours +/- life span. the brightness specs are as according to the 04 infiniti G35's.

thanks everyone for your support!!!!!!!

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-
Saturday, April 28, 2007 5:55 PM
oh rob. i re-read your post and you specifically asked that the sun was to my back when taking the pictures. sorry i missed that buddy. here you go man. 5:00pm today......

LIGHTS ON:

BRAKES ON:

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-
Saturday, April 28, 2007 6:34 PM
Quote:

as for specs, all i got are that they are 90' angle, 5mm flux LED. that's all i got for you rob. give me a call, and i may be able to get some more if you need it. but you can see in the day shots that they are as well as OEM along with 100,000 hours +/- life span. the brightness specs are as according to the 04 infiniti G35's.

oh rob. i re-read your post and you specifically asked that the sun was to my back when taking the pictures. sorry i missed that buddy. here you go man. 5:00pm today......

Sold. reason is, due to the time of day and that sun angle, LED's can, at times, not appear to be functioning.

thanks for doin that Josh. I'll be working on my design and I'll shoot you an e-mail w/ the design

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, April 28, 2007 6:36 PM

Sunday, April 29, 2007 5:38 PM
Hey Josh, is that 1/4" grid paper? Doesn't seem to line up with the OEM body lines on the template. I have the tail here w/ no lens that I can get a grid that lines up w/ the rear body lines after work tomorrow, rather than trying to draft one and offsetting it to match

Sunday, April 29, 2007 6:50 PM
josh, im sooooo down for this in a few months, but how much if i jsut want the completed circuit board, no lense no nothing else?

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Tuesday, May 01, 2007 12:25 PM
I am intrested but I would like my reverse lights to be LEDs as well.

It beats a Honda!
Tuesday, May 08, 2007 4:35 PM
Um, yeah, totally sold! So Josh, when do you want my money?

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Tuesday, May 08, 2007 5:04 PM
Hey Josh, let me know if you got my e-mail... its been spotty lately...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search