HID kit - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HID kit
Saturday, October 20, 2007 5:52 PM
i seen this topic on here about a week ago and now i cant find it...i searched but i didnt find the post...so my question is...i got a 91 sunbird and i wanna kno if the "Ebay" HID kits work, i mean ik you get what you pay for but im just curious, its no show car i just want some cheap HIDs and these are like anywhere between 30-45$ then like 38$ shipping

Re: HID kit
Monday, October 22, 2007 12:36 PM
i put on a kit from ebay in my truck about 3 years ago in they work fine i still have the same kit in my truck. your not going to get a very good kit if any for 40 bucks i payed about 140.00 for mine
Monday, October 22, 2007 1:40 PM
Not to mention they wont work right with the stock Sunbird headlights...

Monday, October 22, 2007 3:05 PM
i got an ebay kit for my 93... works great... the offered almost every light style as well... i went with H7s because i have BMW E36 headlights...

Silvania Silverstar Vs Ebay HID 8k (i run 10ks now)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, October 22, 2007 3:08 PM

Monday, October 22, 2007 4:16 PM
yea thats true
Tuesday, October 23, 2007 5:55 AM
ic ic, so it wont work with my stock headlights??

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 5:58 AM
hids need projectors to use. putting a cheap kit like that in yours, i can bet its going to fry and melt your wiring harness and possible housing

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 9:01 AM
i agree... projectors and HIDs go hand and hand... my BMW E36 headlights have projectors in both the low and the high beam... and as you can see in the pic above... the silverstar looks dim....

but ive had my setup for almost 3 years now... and the only thing i changed is i went from 8k to 10k bulbs maybe 6 months after i got the HIDs, for cosmetic reasons...

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 1:35 PM
well since i cant rock the HIDs because i dont have projectors, what should i use, i mean i have clear corners with blue bulbs, and i want bright blueish head lights, i have some ebay knock offs right now but i want brighter ones

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 2:57 PM
get projectors ... the E36 swap is not all that hard....

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 6:30 PM
really? are there any write ups on here ? i wouldnt mind rocking some bmw headlights lol, how much would i be looking at for the cost of the headlights?

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 4:14 AM
either that or get some silverstars. they are bright bulbs

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 5:53 AM
ya, i mainly want them for the annoying bright blue tint that the hid's have, just because my car is blue, because my foglights are day near bright enough to see the road alone, so im just look for cosmetic look

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 6:17 AM
that should be the last thing you should worry about. i dont know about everyone else but id rather see the road and not care what the color of the light is. i never understood why people try to get a certain color

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 9:15 AM
no no ik what your saying, but i can see perfectly fine at night, my fog lights, and my headlights are bright enough, im just saying if possible, whats a good choice of bulb to get that effect, trust me id rather see at night too

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 9:51 AM
ah gotcha. well the silverstars are a bright bright white with a bluish tint to them. atleast mine are. the above pic of the second gen, i honestly dont think they are silverstars because i never seen them yellow like that. maybe because its a different bulb used for the 2nd gens i dont know

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 10:06 AM
ok ya, i gonna look into that and check it out, and mine use a 9006, and 9005 bubls idk what 3rd gens use...while on the subject of lights, an experience with led bulbs, for say, the brake lights or rear turn signals?

Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:26 PM
any input???

Sunday, October 28, 2007 3:10 PM
just to let you know... HID's when installed correctly WILL not melt housing or wires... they run "cooler" than your stock halogens at 35W... compared to a stock bulb at 55W... also they emit a much crisper brighter light if you want the blue look to your bulbs get a 10,000K kit... some people believe the higher (K) kelvin number the bulb is the brighter... not true... kelvin is actually the color and luminescents of the bulb... but trust me the 10K kit is about twice as bright as your highbeams... and they will work with your stock housings, they will be just a whole lot of glare to other motorists... but projectors are RECOMMENDED!
Monday, October 29, 2007 4:46 PM
ic ic, but it wont mess up my headlights or harness, i mean that my biggest worry, other motorists not to sound like an ass . but can deal with it, i deal wit truck head lights and hids in my mirrors all the time

Friday, November 02, 2007 8:11 AM
??

Friday, November 02, 2007 9:08 AM
Holy Crap. Just installed my HID kit last night. On a note, I want to say, if you want brighter headlights, do NOT cheap out and get replacement Halo Bulbs. I bought Eurolite Xenon's, which served me well, but then I finally upgraded to HIDs, and you be the judge...

Eurolite VS SmartEye HID 8k

One question though to people who have installed HIDs on 5th series (03+) cav's... I had to remove the outter seal of my headlight housing, so it is all relying on the bulb's gasket. Did anyone encounter this problem, and if so, did you do anything about it?

Buddy Club Ecotec Cavalier
* More to come *
Friday, November 02, 2007 2:48 PM
DropTopZBird wrote:really? are there any write ups on here ? i wouldnt mind rocking some bmw headlights lol, how much would i be looking at for the cost of the headlights?

Sorry for the delay

http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/bmw-headlight-swap-how-to-phase-1-and-2-t58434.html

my post above with the picture of my setup shows the difference between HID and Silverstar... silverstars don't even come close

Saturday, November 03, 2007 4:17 PM
thanks that write up deff helps, i think i might tackle that in the spring, right now im goin to buy the HID KIT

Saturday, March 03, 2012 11:13 AM
I bought mine also on ebay for 32$ but didnt work............. its flickering like crazy. i then bought one for 110 and it work. i bought the canbus ballast 55w

Start New Topic Advanced Search