house of kolor paint? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
house of kolor paint?
Saturday, December 15, 2007 7:58 PM
Ok, this is the email that I got from my body guy. He is a pretty cool guy, but we didn't exactly have everything worked out in the beginning. I really don't care who's fault that is or yada yada, but he said that he would paint it any way I wanted it and now come to find out anyway I want it has a price tag of about $300.00 worth of paint...

"Hey I have been looking at diff paints and colors for like a week straight. I found to bad ass blues from House Of Kolor..... The first color is HOK LIPIS Blue and is awesome....... I would buy this paint for you like i said in the deal........... The second Color is totaly bad assssss I love it and it would look like a mirror in the sun..... Only downfall is its a Tri coat paint job, meaning ide have to paint the whole car HOK Orion silver then this HOK Candy Cobalt blue over it... Ide buy the Gallon of HOK Orion silver and the reducer and activator. But you would have to pay the extra for the gallon of HOK Candy Cobalt blue, reducer and activator thats About 607.11 shipped to my door...

So its all upto you man but that last color im showing you is totaly custom and sick in the sun... Glows just like a mirror..... Also the cheaper first color looks sick to in the sun and would be hella lot easyer for me to paint. But i wouldnt mind doing the full custom Candy job for you."

paint #1:

Paint #2:

So my question is: does this make sense? I mean, does he really need those, what like five different products(activator and reducer 2x)?? Has anyone put either one of these colors on their car? Does anyone know of a place to get HOK paint for cheap? If you were painting your car what paint would YOU use... I personally like blue, but I can go with anything because I have to re-do the entire interior anyway.

Thanks in advance,
Shane

Re: house of kolor paint?
Saturday, December 15, 2007 8:14 PM
that sounds about right. and HOK is expensive as hell
check out this place for paint supplies

Someone needs to make me a new sig!
Saturday, December 15, 2007 8:25 PM
$607 isn't a bad price for a candy. It cost me around $438 for supplies for my paintjob (PPG base/Omni clear), and that was with me using the stock color so I only needed 2 quarts of base coat. If the painter has done plenty of tri stage paintjobs, and turns out quality work then I say go for the candy job.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 10:04 PM
Well He does need the reducer and activator, The reducer thins the paint and evaporates out to dry it, the activator would be for the base coat I don't know what but Most company's when doing a candy/tri coat paint job, you activate the base. And a he is telling the truth a tri coat is what he is saying you spray a basecoat down(colour coat) first and then your candy coat is a tinted clear coat, In this case a blue one. Depending what you spray as a base coat will depend on the colour for the finished paint job.
It doesn't sound like your painter is trying to screw you. I am a bodyman/painter myself, and I was pricing PPG's Viberance candy colours for my car and my price was about $1000 for all of my paint an materials. (cad) However I plan on doing a 2 tone with a Candy.
And it is really up to you what colour you pic. The both are nice colours, But A candy colour in my opinion is a lot nicer. It has a lot more depth, and reacts to all different lighting differently.
So do you want to spend the extra money?
I would. But thats me.

ShowFire

Saturday, December 15, 2007 10:11 PM
#2 ftw

Lanman31337 -F = fatties = do not want. A little chunk in the junk is ok though.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 6:40 AM
#2 looks pretty sweet, I'm going to put that on my car.
Sunday, December 16, 2007 7:54 AM
HOK paint also check out this website. it has everything from HOK at lower prices.
Sunday, December 16, 2007 7:55 AM
ShowFire wrote:And he is telling the truth a tri coat is what he is saying. you spray a basecoat down(colour coat) first and then your candy coat is a tinted clear coat, In this case a blue one. Depending what you spray as a base coat will depend on the colour for the finished paint job.
It doesn't sound like your painter is trying to screw you. I am a bodyman/painter myself, and I was pricing PPG's Vibrance candy colours for my car and my price was about $1000 for all of my paint an materials.

Exactly right. In my opinion a nice coarse metallic silver works best as a base for blue candys. If you are curious about how the blue candy will look with different base coats, visit a local paint store and ask to see a sample book. I know most Dupont dealers should have a book showing the Hot Hues line, and most PPG dealers will have one for the Vibrance line. A different basecoat makes a big difference in the final outcome of a candy paintjob.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 3:54 PM
Shadowfire wrote:
ShowFire wrote:And he is telling the truth a tri coat is what he is saying. you spray a basecoat down(colour coat) first and then your candy coat is a tinted clear coat, In this case a blue one. Depending what you spray as a base coat will depend on the colour for the finished paint job.
It doesn't sound like your painter is trying to screw you. I am a bodyman/painter myself, and I was pricing PPG's Vibrance candy colours for my car and my price was about $1000 for all of my paint an materials.

Exactly right. In my opinion a nice coarse metallic silver works best as a base for blue candys. If you are curious about how the blue candy will look with different base coats, visit a local paint store and ask to see a sample book. I know most Dupont dealers should have a book showing the Hot Hues line, and most PPG dealers will have one for the Vibrance line. A different basecoat makes a big difference in the final outcome of a candy paintjob.

Uhhh, that'd be great but I live in Maine and the nearest place that would have anything like that is at least 5 hours away
Sunday, December 16, 2007 3:57 PM
thanks for the info so far though guys!
Sunday, December 16, 2007 10:21 PM
Any store that sells paint will have a book, I don't know where you would have for local parts stores but anywhere like Benson auto parts, or Carquest would have the paint books

ShowFire

Monday, December 17, 2007 3:35 AM
check out smartshoppersinc.com

they have some good deals on paint there. thats where i plan on getting my hok paint from

Monday, December 17, 2007 5:28 AM
are you seriously complaining about spending $300 on products to paint an entire car?? not to mention HOK products?

please dude, I have about $1000 in HOK products for my paint job.

did you truely think it would cost $100 to paint a car? Jesus people are cheap bastards

Monday, December 17, 2007 6:19 AM
Most people don't realize how much the materials actually cost. I've seen a ton of people change their choice of paint color after seeing the prices lol.

Monday, December 17, 2007 7:54 AM
I've got Kameleon Kolors from HOK on my car. It's pricey, and yeah it needs wet sanded, but well worth the money.

Monday, December 17, 2007 12:20 PM
Joey Baggs (Eazy716) wrote:are you seriously complaining about spending $300 on products to paint an entire car?? not to mention HOK products?

please dude, I have about $1000 in HOK products for my paint job.

did you truely think it would cost $100 to paint a car? Jesus people are cheap bastards

not to mention i expected to pay about 500-600 for just the paint alone to get the front and rear bumpers of my car repainted

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 12:28 AM
Yeah I worked at a CarStar shop for a while and the estimates we gave people for repainting a front bumper or something was rediculous! And people paid it. i was just like wow I would do that at home for about a quater of that cost lol. And that was all new and factory parts! Not even any custom work or anything, Paint is expensive when you use a quality product!

ShowFire

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 4:08 PM
i personally dont like using there products, i perfer ppg, and there custom colors easier to use a tad bit cheaper, and out shines hok crap 10 fold
or if hes good he can make his own color and no need for hok stuff

can i haz bondo
Tuesday, December 18, 2007 5:50 PM
Paint and materials are expensive- but remember- a bad painter can ruin expensive paint and a good painter can make cheap paint look good.
Here's $125 worth of paint/materials

and this one was over $450-- 3 stage / wet sanded with 2000 grit and buffed to perfection (many hours)

I use Martin Senour at my napa store--closest place for 45 miles for me

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 7:56 PM
Sh;t it was gonna cost $5000-7000 to paint my car with HOK candy and marbalizer

And #2 is way more vibrant looking.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 8:29 PM
john beers aka thebondoman wrote:Paint and materials are expensive- but remember- a bad painter can ruin expensive paint and a good painter can make cheap paint look good.

I'll agree with that. You can look at my car in my profile, and see my $450 paint job that hasn't even been water sanded and buffed yet.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 11:16 PM
That is very true, I have used alot of cheaper paint (PPG's OMNI line) and I can make their OMNI bases and clears look better then their high end Deltron and Global clears.

Also What was the decision on the paint? Candy or no?

ShowFire

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 10:22 AM
actually I think that i'm going to go with a marbilized blue, but honestly i'm not sure it's between #2 and the marbilizer... what do you guys think? Oh and how would you marbilize the car, i see the blue-pink and what not, i'd really like to go with a blue but my painter said that maybe going with a silver-white marbilized and putting a candy blue on over would work better? Not really sure here. I guess that you take ceran wrap and move the base coat all around so that some of it comes through??
Wednesday, December 26, 2007 6:05 AM
Shane Belanger wrote:actually I think that i'm going to go with a marbilized blue, but honestly i'm not sure it's between #2 and the marbilizer... what do you guys think? Oh and how would you marbilize the car, i see the blue-pink and what not, i'd really like to go with a blue but my painter said that maybe going with a silver-white marbilized and putting a candy blue on over would work better? Not really sure here. I guess that you take ceran wrap and move the base coat all around so that some of it comes through??

you dont ceran wrap the base coat, you wipe the marblizer over the base coat.

and if you do marble, i hope your painter is good at blending and real good at wet sanding/buffing

but i for one say please dont do blue marble.

Friday, December 28, 2007 3:39 PM
why not? does the blue marble not look good or something?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search