All Years DRL Disable and Other Headlight Tricks - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
All Years DRL Disable and Other Headlight Tricks
Saturday, September 02, 2006 6:28 PM
This is a fully conclusive write up for the 3rd generation j-body DRL Disable. The 95-99 trick was found by Mr. John Lenko. HUGE THANKS to some members that wish to remain nameless, and CaviFreak for getting the 00+ one done Thanks to Cavi sedan ls (justin u) and Phewes because i stole their pictures.

This also has the tricks for the 96-99 and maybe other year J-Bodies to make the fog lights stay on with high beams. Thanks to MantaZ and Team Forward Motion.

For DRL Disable on 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 J-Bodies

1. Remove you Topper Pad

2. Remove the Bezel

3. Locate the Harness and pull back / cut the electrical tape

4a. For 95 you cut the tan wire(put her on purpose )

4b. For 96-99 you cut the smaller blue wire. (Cavalier = pin B8 Sunfire = pin B7)

5. Tape each end up

6. Pull back some electrical tape...and/or re-tape it up

7. Reconnect it

8. Put your dash back together

NO MORE DRL'S!

(another way is to get ahold of a tec2)

For DRL Disable on 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 J-Bodies
Depending on what all you have wired in your car, this can be a simple procedure, or a time consuming one. It really just depends on if you have an alarm hooked up, an SAFC, etc. and how clean your wiring is. But overall this is a simple procedure. The difficulty comes in trying to get to the BCM through a bunch of wires if you have a lot of stuff hooked up.

You'll need a piece of 16 gauge wire, some quick splice connectors, something to cut 16 gauge wire, a ratchet & a 9/32 socket...

1. Locate the "BCM" which is marked with a white sticker reading "BCM"...
(For the 2003 Cavalier, the BCM is located under the dash)

2. There are 2 blue plugs & 1 smaller purple plug plugged into the BCM. Unplug the middle plug by pulling back the blue tab. It will slide right out...

3. Turn the plug so that you can see the wire side. You'll notice that there are 2 sets of wires, 1 is lightly marked "A", the other, "B". There are holes for 12 wires in each set but not all the holes are filled... (For our cars, we couldnt find A, or B.. Either we weren't looking hard enough or something changed from CaviFreak's car's year [which i think is 2002?] to 2003). Anyway the "A" and "B" isn't important.. what is important is the dark blue wire.

4. Locate the ONLY blue wire of the bunch. It's the ONLY dark blue wire there & is the one which controls the DRLs...

5. Now separate the blue wire just enough from the others to work with it. Cut it about 2-2&1/2" from the plug...

6. Take a piece of 16 gauge wire and connect a "loop" to one end.

7. Now ground the wire. We chose to do this on the ODB-2 plug under the dash..

8. Now use a quick splice connector to connect the two wires together.

That wasn't so hard was it? Now just plug everything back into your BCM, and you are done. No more DRL's.

NO MORE DRL'S!

For 96-97 stock fog lights to work with your high beams
(refer to how to 98-99 for pictures)
1. Look under your hood between the radiator and bumper.

2. Find the middle pass side relay and cut pink wire

3. Cut this wire and cover both ends with electrical tape

NOW YOU CAN USE YOUR BRIGHTS AND FOGS AT THE SAME TIME!

For 98-99 stock fog lights to work with your high beams
1. Look under your hood between the radiator and bumper.

2. Remove left Headlight (optional)

3. Remember its the furthest relay to the left

4. Disconnect it and pull it up

5. Find the black wire "30" and the green wire with white stripes

6. Pull back / cut the electrical tape

7. Tape the 3 wires you arent using together (optional to keep separated..less confusion?)

8. Cut about an inch of the protective cover off the black wire, and cut the green one in half. (pull some cover off the green one)

9. Cover the end of the green one that goes into the relay off. (tape is fine)

10. Put the other end of the green wire through the black one, and squeeze them with pliers, then tape it up
(another method is cutting black one in half, and putting them all in a butt connector)

11. Tape it back up

12. Plug it back in

NOW YOU CAN USE YOUR BRIGHTS AND FOGS AT THE SAME TIME!

i need to correct something, maybe there is a way the mods will let me back in here. its nice to have all the info one the first post so you dont have to go through it all. i really just made it so that everything was in one place.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edited Friday, February 23, 2007 3:59 PM

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims

Re: All Years DRL Disable and Other Headlight Tric
Saturday, September 02, 2006 6:56 PM
Thats awesome man. Great job. Im going to disable my drls on my 98 tomorrow now

Saturday, September 02, 2006 7:22 PM
If anyone needs better pics for the 96-97 brights with fog light thing lemme know.. i just took that pic so it was dark and hard to see.. but its the one on the left of the hood latch..(i have 4 relays total and its the 3rd from the driverside
)

Saturday, September 02, 2006 8:27 PM
Quote:

This is a fully conclusive write up for the 3rd generation j-body DRL Disable.

There's one more (I only did this one since I was pulling the cluster to cover my shift light anyway ):

95(?)-99 J's (that have the DRL relay behind the bumper)

Behind the front bumper, in front of the radiator should be a relay. Remove plug from the relay. IMPORTANT: Jumper wires #80 and #87a (if uncertain which wire is which, stop now, plug relay back in and please do some research). Temporary method is to attatch a jumper wire to the plug and electrical tape it to prevent water leaking in. Permanent method, cut these two wires at the plug and splice them together. Don't forget heat-shrink. I end-spiced the rest seperately and removed the plug/relay all together. Failure to splice these 2 wires together will result in the passenger headlight not working properly.

Once completed, start car, release e-brake (if automatic tranny: and remove from park [reverse should work]) DRL indicator on dash should flash. If successful, move on to part 2.

Part 2

1) Remove the dash and instument cluster. A shop manual may be needed for this task, if one is not readily available.

2) Once instrument cluster is removed, CAREFULLY remove the plastic housing on the rear of the panel. Take caution not to damage the circuit board or you are out to find another instrument panel ($80-175).

3) Once the gauges are free from the circuit board, look at the back of the gauges where the idiot light filters are. Cover the DRL light (the green one) with black electrical tape. If you were like me and found the shift light annoying, go ahead and cover that one too.

4) Reassemble instrument panel and reassemble dash.

If done correctly, you should not see a green blinking light while engine is running and e-brake released (if automatic tranny: and out of park).

Saturday, September 02, 2006 10:26 PM
Very sweet write up. I got lucky, and I somehow lost my DRL's when I switched my wiring harness for the cavy front end

Sticky this indeed.

Saturday, September 02, 2006 11:20 PM
if this gets sticky thats sweet but wootburgers sticky is sweet. this one just has all years which people need....the right way. i took wootburgers and just put in here with credit to him. thanks for the comments. glad i could contribute something to the .org for once.

Sunday, September 03, 2006 4:52 AM
big poppa wrote:Very sweet write up. I got lucky, and I somehow lost my DRL's when I switched my wiring harness for the cavy front end

Don't know if u care enough to know why but i can guarentee its cuz the Pinout on the fire harness was different then the cavalier harness.. so the drl pins arent connected... just thought id give u a lil input on maybe if u just wanted to know..

Sunday, September 03, 2006 7:57 AM
Excellent write up This is a great resource!

Sunday, September 03, 2006 8:17 AM
thanks everyone. and kardain....that way seems harder but maybe someone would rather do it like that.

greencavi...how did it go?

Sunday, September 03, 2006 9:45 PM
Wrench Monkey wrote:STICKY????

hm if they get around to it they do...if not oh well. except the current one only has the newer years.

does anyone have anything to add to this? i know that mantaz24 has 4 relays and just had to cut one wire for the fogs and highs....but he is 96 so its nornal...anyone else know?

Monday, September 04, 2006 6:50 PM
WOW thanks man i want to get rid of mine but i want to be able to turn them back on with a switch how could i go about doing that?

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 5:13 PM
im not sure man...sorry. but i know someone on here does.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 5:27 PM
how do you make your low beam stay on whith your highbeams? i would like to know this if anyone has the answer.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 6:08 PM
hmmm....i like my DRLs :shurg:

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 6:21 PM
downlinx wrote:how do you make your low beam stay on whith your highbeams? i would like to know this if anyone has the answer.

It will only work w/ a dual lamp setup (03+ Sunfire and 95-99 Cavi). All other years, you run the risk (and it is a very high probability) that the bulb, housing, and/or lens will melt.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 6:30 PM
for a 1998...as far as I know... theres a much easier way to disable ur DRL but still have to get ur dash out to tape off the DRL idiot light.... click here for more info...

This is how i did it on my old 98 cav.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 6:48 PM
if you are refering to the 98...it can be much easier than cutting one wire....

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 6:18 PM
Manta Z(The Primered One): HA! I Knew it!!! I noticed that right off the bat that it was missing one...just really didn't think it was the DRL's! LOL I thougth something was wrong with the harness I picked up! Thanks

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 6:22 PM
I vote to sticky too. is there a way on my 04 cavy to make my turn signal bulbs stay on the bright setting? what i mean is if i hit my turn signal it blinks brighter than when im driving with just them on, DRL's already gone. so i wonder just curious if there is a way to keep them on the bright setting. i notice a lot of the newer impalas and malibus have them and they are bright as can be. like i said im just wondering if there was an easy way.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 6:59 PM
Fogs + Highs on 2000+ cavaliers?

" To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous. "
Tuesday, September 12, 2006 7:15 PM
You will need to run a relay.

Use the high-beam + wire as the trigger

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 3:49 AM
kardain thanks for helping out in here i wonder if they are gonna sticky it or not.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 7:26 AM
No prob Brian.

Thursday, September 14, 2006 2:39 PM
im just wondering why this hasnt replaced the current sticky. i have emailed the mods, and this has all years in it. even other people think it should be. is there something against me?

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 6:07 PM
ok, if you think this should replace the current sticky, post it up. thats what shifted told me needed to happen. this one has the current one in it plus the other years so i dont see why not. thanks.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search