VIS carbon fiber with yellow tint....help - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
VIS carbon fiber with yellow tint....help
Friday, June 27, 2008 10:57 AM
So I picked up a VIS carbon fiber trunk and it's got a slight yellowish tint to it. What can I do to fix this or is there even a way to fix it? The trunk is only 11 months old so I don't know what to do. I'm not sure if it's in the resin or the carbon, or if they just layed to carbon over a yellow fiberglass surface or something. I don't know if I had it recleared if that would even help. Any help is appreciated.

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!

Re: VIS carbon fiber with yellow tint....help
Friday, June 27, 2008 11:07 AM
Prolly UV or oxidation damage. I think there's a compound you can buff it with, then re-clear.

Friday, June 27, 2008 11:15 AM
Pilz-E wrote:Prolly UV or oxidation damage. I think there's a compound you can buff it with, then re-clear.

Well there is no oxidation problem, I think it may be UV damage where it's turned the resin yellow. I remember Cody@RDFABS thread a while back where he used 3M Finesse-it II but I though that was for oxidation?

Friday, June 27, 2008 11:18 AM
Its the resin.VIS has issues with that. Have it re cleared and it should take care of it. OR you could have a candy red sprayed over it and your hood. It looks SOOO sick!. I'll have pics up of my stuff soon

Friday, June 27, 2008 12:29 PM
ecotecpower wrote:Its the resin.VIS has issues with that. Have it re cleared and it should take care of it. OR you could have a candy red sprayed over it and your hood. It looks SOOO sick!. I'll have pics up of my stuff soon

***sexy growl***

do it!!!

Friday, June 27, 2008 2:53 PM
I have had my cf hood on my fire for three seasons now, and it still looks nice and black, i wax it quite a bit, i find waxing it helps protect it, exspecilly if it is going to be exsposed to hot sun alot...

98 j-body sedan

Friday, June 27, 2008 5:47 PM
pics? ive never seen a yellowish tint, mainly just brownish ones.

terry denomme wrote:waxing it helps protect it, exspecilly if it is going to be exsposed to hot sun alot...

i lol'd

Friday, June 27, 2008 6:43 PM
eh what is so 'lol' about that? yeah i could get the joke if you thought he meant he waxed it IN the hot sun... but not protecting it FROM the hot sun.

now, granted mine doesnt see a whole lot of outside time but every time it DOES its a hot freaking day in the sun and mine is fine, all i do is keep it waxed regularly.

Friday, June 27, 2008 6:53 PM
"hot sun" is redundant in that the sun is big @!#$ ball of gas that burns at millions of degrees. ever seen or felt a "cold sun"?
thats why i lol'd

Friday, June 27, 2008 7:27 PM
Ok, well after looking at it further I'm pretty sure it's the resin being affected by the sun because the top of the trunk is the only place that has turned yellow, the side still looks fine and has it's regular color. I just bought it so I'm pretty pissed but I guess I'm going to take it to my painter and let him sand it down and reclear it in hopes that it gets rid of the discolor. I know how to care for carbon fiber as I've had carbon hoods for 4 years now but it came like this. Here is your pics you wanted tabs...

My hood:

My trunk:

Do you guys think sanding it down and reclearing it will get rid of ALL the yellow tint?

Friday, June 27, 2008 7:44 PM
ok, thats the usual brown tint i meant, but i can see where you would get yellow from....

i doubt sanding down and reclearing will get rid of all of that since the problem is the resin itself which has completely saturated the carbon. if you sand it down and clear, i think you can get a lot of it out, but i doubt itll look perfect. again, that just seems to be a problem with VIS

Friday, June 27, 2008 9:10 PM
^^^^ well yea, but if the damage has only penetrated a certain thickness it should be ok. right?

ive seen WAY worse yellow tinting then that, joey. i think you should be able to save it. its worth a shot anyways.

Friday, June 27, 2008 10:23 PM
Yep thats exactly what my VIS hood and trunk looked like. Just a problem VIS has always had with there stuff unfortunately

Friday, June 27, 2008 10:47 PM
Yea my old hood ended up lookin like that. Sucked. However if your idea doesn't work, you could always get a candy coat of red on it and it'll resemble red CF ??

Friday, June 27, 2008 10:59 PM
(tabs) wrote:"hot sun" is redundant in that the sun is big @!#$ ball of gas that burns at millions of degrees. ever seen or felt a "cold sun"?
thats why i lol'd

if wintertime when there isn't a cloud in the sky but its still too @!#$ cold counts

Saturday, June 28, 2008 2:13 AM
Yeah winter is just all bad on cf hoods, cold will probally arp them. and yeah i di say hot sun, lol, my bad..... but yeah i have had my hood for a few years now, cf invader by vis, no discolour, i believe waxing it often is saving my vis hood.

98 j-body sedan

Saturday, June 28, 2008 12:16 PM
z yaaaa wrote:^^^^ well yea, but if the damage has only penetrated a certain thickness it should be ok. right?

ive seen WAY worse yellow tinting then that, joey. i think you should be able to save it. its worth a shot anyways.

yeah I hope it can be saved. If it still looks yellow I'm going to get rid of it, I can't take another eye soar on my car to drive me crazy every time I look at it.

ecotecpower wrote:Yep thats exactly what my VIS hood and trunk looked like. Just a problem VIS has always had with there stuff unfortunately

Did you have your stuff recleared?

Blindz24 wrote:Yea my old hood ended up lookin like that. Sucked. However if your idea doesn't work, you could always get a candy coat of red on it and it'll resemble red CF ??

Yeah I've seen it before it person and I dunno, it just didn't do it for me.

Saturday, June 28, 2008 8:38 PM
I got rid of my VIS stuff. But all the new CF stuff has been recleared.

Saturday, June 28, 2008 8:42 PM
Is it me or is there actually a different color too the weave? I noticed a difference in color between my VIS hood and the hood that I have now. The hood I have now has a light color carbon fiber as where my VIS was a darker carbon fiber.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Saturday, June 28, 2008 10:30 PM
The01Cav wrote:Is it me or is there actually a different color too the weave? I noticed a difference in color between my VIS hood and the hood that I have now. The hood I have now has a light color carbon fiber as where my VIS was a darker carbon fiber.

its just you. the difference is in the resins used, not the carbon fiber.

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 12:42 PM
I have a cheaper CF hood that I just got refinished about 3 weeks ago..

The top coat was starting to oxidize in some places & the whole hood was just kinda yellowish looking...

The body shop sanded most of the top coat off & recleared it w/ several coats- The hood looks brand new. Nice color to it now, no yellowing whatsoever.. The new clear really makes the weave "pop" out of the hood- it looks great !

I dont know exactly what method he actually used for sanding it down, but it was a small 6" sanding disc that was spinning very slow on an air sander..

Hope this helps !!!

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 12:47 PM
RedDevil wrote:I have a cheaper CF hood that I just got refinished about 3 weeks ago..

The top coat was starting to oxidize in some places & the whole hood was just kinda yellowish looking...

The body shop sanded most of the top coat off & recleared it w/ several coats- The hood looks brand new. Nice color to it now, no yellowing whatsoever.. The new clear really makes the weave "pop" out of the hood- it looks great !

I dont know exactly what method he actually used for sanding it down, but it was a small 6" sanding disc that was spinning very slow on an air sander..

Hope this helps !!!

Yeah mine goes in to the body shop tomorrow so I hope it turns out good. I'm just scared they won't know what to do since most shops don't deal with that stuff a lot. I'll post up pictures tomorrow night when I get it back and show everyone how it turned out.

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 2:07 PM
good luck

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 2:46 PM
My VIS hood has always had a brownish/yellow tint to it. It held up for about a year then started to oxidize a bit. I sprayed a new clear coat on it a month or so ago. It still has they slight brownish tint to it, but it has a lot more shine and depth to it.

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 5:29 PM
Ummm....no. That's all I have to say about it being recleared.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search