Projector Headlights - Painting body-color - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Projector Headlights - Painting body-color
Monday, January 12, 2009 9:58 AM
In another thread in this forum, member Letxen3 authored a post about the projector headlights he’d bought and asked questions about bulbs. Readers chimed in and some mentioned they had the same headlight units. I added that I’d bought a set too and planned to open them up to paint them. Another member, Andrew Jackson, expressed interest in how it turned out so this is a write-up of what I did. Apologies in advance to everyone, and I know there’s no new ground here as these headlights have been around for years and I don’t doubt this has all been done many times before.

I originally saw a body-color projector headlight treatment on my next door neighbors’ teenage daughters’ boyfriends’ Ford Probe and decided to try it on my J. Of all the eBay and on-line vendors that feature these lights for the Cavaliers, there only seem to be a few housing variations and I’m sure they’re all coming from the same factory in Taiwan. Before buying these, I asked a couple of the vendors if they could be disassembled, and they said (one way or another), “No.” I decided to try anyway as it looked like it might be possible from the pictures on their sites. On examining after receiving them, they seemed to be serviceable mold quality, but nothing to write home about. (I have some experience in plastic molding from a past life.) The plastics used are not exotic or exceptionally robust and are easily affected by solvents (ie: lacquer thinner) and abrasion.

To disassemble them, I first popped off the four spring clips (2 top, 2 bottom). The clear front lens seemed to be pressed into grey plastic sealer that had been wrapped in a circumferential groove in the reflector back. (Sort of a modified “tongue in groove” arrangement.) I used a hair dryer to heat the seam between the lens and housing back, starting at the inboard (pointy) end of the unit and going both directions across the top and bottom. After a couple of minutes, I was able to insert a metal putty knife in the seam at the end and carefully pry the two apart. After getting it open enough to insert my fingers, I had an assistant apply more heat and slit the sealer with a box cutter while I pried the lens and housing apart the rest of the way. (Remember that you’re dealing with plastic here and don’t overdo the heating or prying.) Obviously with the sealer used, the manufacturer never intended these to come apart. That’s sad (read: Cheap) as there are no replacement parts offered that I can tell and you’re screwed if you pick up a rock in one of the lenses and have to buy another set. A quality unit would use a proper gasket and be rebuildable.

The picture below shows a unit with the parts separated. There are three basic parts, the chromed reflector housing or main back of the unit with the mounting/adjusting bracket attached, a center bezel either chromed or black (depending on what you bought), and a clear cover or lens. The bezel wasn’t secured in any way other than having tabs to locate it on the reflector while being sandwiched in by the lens. The reflector is completely chromed even though only a small part is needed, looks generic enough and it’s likely used for other lighting configurations.

The biggest pain is the grey plastic putty sealer used to seal the cover to the reflector. I’ve seen this stuff in use (mostly) for holding water dam sheet plastic inside doors and other disgusting applications. I know the inventor was probably hoping for a Nobel Prize, but I hope he receives a more sinister fate. In fairness to the manufacturer, it is cheap and quick. But in this application, its success at sealing is dependent on how well the pieces fit together, how careful the sealer is applied and how much pressure is used to squish the mess together. On my example, it wasn’t done very well and I’m certain the units would not have been moisture tight. Fortunately, the stuff is confined mostly to the groove in the reflector and the edges of the lens where it contacted it. But in order to get the parts back together, you really need to remove as much as possible. The next two pictures show the residue of the sealer in the groove of the reflector (orange arrow) and on the tongue of the lens.

To remove the putty sealer, I started with the reflector where most of it was located and heated a four to six inch length of the groove for a minute or so with the hair dryer. Then using a flat blade screwdriver, I scraped it out and formed a “glob” (for lack of any other technical term). I then heated another length of the groove, scraped more out and added it to the “glob”. Once I’d scraped the entire groove, I was left with a sizable “glob” that I allowed to cool somewhat. On the second pass, I heated what was left in the groove in the reflector, but then pressed the cooler “glob” into the heated putty, which then stuck to it and actually came off rather well when the “glob” was pulled quickly away.

It’s kind of an acquired technique, heating the remnants of the putty in the reflector groove, then sticking the “glob” to it and pulling it quickly off. With a little practice (actually, a lot of practice), I managed to get most of the horrible stuff off. What isn’t adequately relayed here is the language I used while doing this or the amount of beer consumed to ensure completion. I’ll just say, “Use the same procedure on the other reflector and the two lenses as well.” Fortunately, removal of every trace of the stuff isn’t necessary as it won’t be visible. But, you do need to get the majority of it off so the parts fit closely together again. I’d thought of sourcing an address where to send the “glob” of sealer back to the manufacturer, but thought better of it as someone might mistake it for an explosive and I’d get a visit from someone from Homeland Security. It’s probably best to just throw it out.

The bezel pictured above is a simple piece, but harder to paint than you might think at first glance since you have many angles and holes to spray through. It’s a little over styled for my taste with oblong circles, triangles and ribs, but overall it’s okay and less busy than some I’ve seen. I wanted it body-color, hoping to get a little of the look of the headlight treatment that’s on the yellow Cavalier racer featured on the JBO home page. I also wondered whether or not the paint (regular DupliColor) would hold up to the heat generated by the bulbs. That remains to be seen, but if the plastic in close proximity can take the heat, the paint should too. If not, I’ll do it over with something more durable. The next picture shows the bezels painted (white in this case).

Before assembling, I test fitted the parts together and even loosened the screws holding the projector units to the reflectors to see if I could correct the alignment a bit (results mixed). Poor alignment is one of my pet peeves, as you’ll see later. After testing, I cleaned everything thoroughly to remove finger prints, etc. Since I wanted to be able to open these up again if I had to, I decided not to use sealer in the main groove of the reflector. Instead, I assembled the three pieces and used RTV silicone (clear) on the seam between the lens and reflector. Specifically, I applied a small bead where the metal clips go, then installed the clips, then applied more to the complete circumference of the seam. My reason for this is that I can still get them apart by cutting the silicone at the seam. If I’d filled the groove and pressed everything together, I’d have a heck of a time ever getting them apart again, probably much worse than with the putty sealer. And, I’m confident they’re still sealed tight and I can touch them up if needed. (Lastly, the trace of the putty sealer inevitably left behind adds a remarkable amount of strength and rigidity to the assembled unit.) Here is a picture of the units assembled before installation.

After all this work, I was disappointed that the headlight units didn’t fit very well in the car. The alignment with the bumper was poor, with the inboard (pointy) end up from the bumper and in (rearward) from where it needed to be. (The pictures posted by Letxen3 of his car in his thread

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=7&i=368856&t=368856l

show he had the same alignment problems.) Though there are two adjustments possible for aiming the headlights (fore/aft and up/down), there wasn’t enough travel available to bring the outboard end of the assembly back (aft) to square everything up. In examining it, I found that the rear of the reflector behind the projector unit protruded further back than the OEM headlight and it hit the body (specifically the radiator support brace) preventing the whole unit from seating correctly or being effectively adjusted. I tried first to relieve a bit of the plastic off the back of the reflector, but there wasn’t enough and it didn’t work. I next tried to dimple the radiator support (it’s in a non-visible location) to get more clearance, but that didn’t work either. I considered this unacceptable as nothing says “cheap” better than ill fitting costume jewelry. I was close to throwing the assemblies in the garbage when cooler heads prevailed and I sat down to have a drink(s) and study the problem.

The reflector assembly is attached to the mounting/adjustment bracket. The Reflector contacts the bracket in three places, the up/down adjuster at the bottom, the fore/aft adjuster on the outboard end and the pivot point or stud near the center top. I felt that if I could somehow shim the pivot point farther out (away) from the bracket, say ¼ inch, and back out the adjusters a similar amount, then the headlight assembly would effectively move forward that same amount and I’d gain a ¼ inch of clearance behind the reflector which might be enough to allow proper adjustment. So, I backed off the adjusters and removed the nut on the pivot stud (shown by the arrow in the picture below).

I then pulled the bracket (gently) off the stud, slid a (larger) nut that was ¼ inch thick onto the stud and replaced the bracket and securing nut. This effectively moved the reflector ¼ inch further away from the mounting bracket. This time when I slid the unit in place in the car, it dropped right in and I was able to adjust it square with the bumper and hood. The additional ¼ inch of clearance was sufficient. (WooHoo.) All I needed to do was duplicate it for the other side and finish the installation.

Here are a couple of pictures, first of the OEM headlight and two others of the finished projector headlight with body-color bezels.

Was it worth it? Your method may vary, but I like it as it’s a little custom and a bit more unique to my eyes than chrome or black. It might look better/different on cars that aren’t Frigidaire White, but that’s what I have to work with. (I think it would look great on Letxen3’s blue sedan.) Take Care and Good Luck. - Mark

Re: Projector Headlights - Painting body-color
Monday, January 12, 2009 10:23 AM
nice write up.

not my cup of teat, but looks like you did a nice job on them.

Monday, January 12, 2009 11:31 AM
very nice write up, if i had a 95-99 i would definately be doing this

www.driftnamiperformance.com
Monday, January 12, 2009 2:36 PM
yeah man def nice work, i've been meaning to do that for awhile now just to lazy

Monday, January 12, 2009 2:44 PM
NICE!,Looks good, i think it would look even better if u did something similar to the corner lights.

Monday, January 12, 2009 2:59 PM
looks good on your car nice job

Monday, January 12, 2009 4:17 PM
now you need to get the clear corners and finnished the front offf//

Monday, January 12, 2009 4:18 PM
Ive thought about doing this before, Ive had to take mine apart for something about a year ago or so ,i just havent done it yet.. I have the chrome ones and not sure how id want to do it.. if I want to do the whole thing black or do the outter part black and leave the rings and inner section of the rings/circles chrome...Ive thought about doing them green aswell,as close a green I can get to my cars color..I think im a bigger fan of the black though.

looks like ya did a nice job...

Monday, January 12, 2009 6:09 PM
mark they came out great. i posted back in my post about me not liking the aiming of the projectors, how do you like your as far as the aiming of the light?

~1996 Cavalier LS 2.4L (auto)

Monday, January 12, 2009 6:42 PM
James, my car is still semi stored for winter, but I did a rough aiming in my garage to set them at equal heights and angles. The projectors cut off sharply at the top, but seemed okay to me preliminarily at least. I'll do a more thorough job in the Spring once I decide on the final height and angle of the car. (It's lowered, but I haven't decided if I'm settled on the final specs yet.) - Mark

PS - Thanks eveyone for your comments.

Monday, January 12, 2009 7:10 PM
are these the adjusting things?

Monday, January 12, 2009 7:23 PM
yes.

Monday, January 12, 2009 7:31 PM
turning to the right bring them down? left bring them up? anyways i tryed and i didnt see it moving???

Monday, January 12, 2009 7:36 PM
James, I don't think you're going to be too successful aiming your lights because of the fitment issues I mentioned in my write-up. You might be able to set the up/down (inboard adjuster), but you won't be able to set the in/out (outboard adjuster) because of the interference with the body behind the reflector. You might have to do the modification to the pivot point that I did in order to gain enough clearance. Good luck. - Mark

Monday, January 12, 2009 7:48 PM
yeah but you gots your to fit nicely at the end...these projectors fail, i may clean up the stockers and put them back on. though i really like the chrome lamps that look pretty with my chrome wheels. ill have to ask my buddie jim he use to drive AMX's he is good about making things fit and work not me im too scared ill break something.

thanks mark.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:49 AM
Fantastic
Thanks for that write up.
Looks like you took your time and did it well.
Now you need some clear corners and it will look even better.

Andrew

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 12:42 PM
Letxen3 wrote:

These are the same ones I have and have been thinking of painting for a while as they were on the car when I bought it, wondering what everyone would think about leaving everything from the outter edge of the ring into the light area chrom and painting the rest black..?..not trying to thread jack,seeing how well the lights posted came out its making me want to get of my @$$ and finnally paint them considering how cheap it is to do...

leave chrome?
all black?
Black with chrome?

imo, I think I like black and chrome idea a bit more then all black but that could just be due to me thinking paintin the inner part will mess with the light output a little.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 12:54 PM
Don't see any problem with what you're describing (which I think is leaving the holes in the bezel chrome and painting the rest). It might have better light output from the high beams, but the projector shouldn't change. I might have done the same if I'd bought the chrome units. Good luck. - Mark

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:48 PM
Nice, some Euro clear corners and you're done!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:54 PM
as I said in an earlier post seeing how well this had come out for -1of7627 (MarkC) it inspired me to get off my rear and do it myself as ive intended for some time now.. i did this tonight in about an hour, I know an hour doesnt seam enough time.. I think the same thing, reason why i didnt take longer or do a muuuuch better job is due to finding out hell,i need a new set of headlights anyway.. turns out the headlight houseing is broken when i heated up the grey sludge they use to hold it together it tunrs out that was holding a big peice on as well as clips..it will do for some time untill im able to spend the money to get new ones but I figure if im gonna have to it a second time anyway this will just be a fast run through to see if the way I wanted to paint it would be what I really liked in the end result..

sorry for the pics.. yet again I used my cellphone..lol.

thanks for the insperation lol.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:09 PM
Can you guys measure the projectors for me? I have these in the box out in my trunk. I am cracking them open tomorrow and swapping the projector lenses out for real bixenon projectors like I have in my cobalt. I will fix the crappy output by using D2S bulbs and ballasts.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:23 PM
Ill try to tomarrow for ya, as of right now they are already installed back into the car..

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search