Best body filler (bondo evercoat etc)... differences? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Best body filler (bondo evercoat etc)... differences?
Wednesday, May 20, 2009 6:36 AM
I was just wondering if there was really a big difference between different fillers....

everyone seems to make a filler... and different grades.. bondo, bondo gold, bondo professional, bondo ultimate, etc....

i was just wondering what the big differences are... the labels all read about the same... they all claim to be "an excellent filler for all your autobody repair needs"

no one is going to advertise the truth... "this filler is pretty much crap, just elmers and paper mache, not perfect for anything but making you look like a cheapass, but might be worth using just to fill in a rust hole on your 1977 pinto so you dont get a draft as you hobble it to the junkyard, should stay on for a few hours... otherwise not worth your money..."

I have heard that some are very easy to work with, some are only good for very small thin repairs, some only adhere to bare metal, some shrink and crack more than others...

Just wondering if anyone has any experience on this.... good or bad.... i have used a ton of plain old bondo.... tried some bondo ultimate.. but didnt really notice much difference besides the color.... I saw some super cheap bulk stuff at the store the other day... just wondered if it was worth it or not.... I am about out, and planning to buy a gallon or so... just wondered what i should get.

I am just refeing to the general fillers... i know there are different types of fillers... metal fillers, fiberglass fillers. etc... but just as far as your different flavors of lightweight fillers...

what is good? what sucks? what is the best deal (cost/performance)

Re: Best body filler (bondo evercoat etc)... differences?
Wednesday, May 20, 2009 6:44 AM
Bondo brand sucks hard. Evercoat products are good and easy to work with. Rage Gold is probably my favorite filler.

If you have access to a Keystone around you, they have a nice filler called "Key'lite" that I find pretty nice. Also USC products are easy to work with.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 6:46 AM
I like evercoats products the best in general, but it depends on what you are trying to do.

Depending on the type or repair you are using it for, should determine which filer you use.

I was recently introduced to a product called "Half Time" that acts both as a lightwieght filler AND a glaze, sands quickly and nicely, and would recomend it for areas you are not vuilding up more than 1/8"

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 6:58 AM
J03Y wrote:Bondo brand sucks hard. Evercoat products are good and easy to work with. Rage Gold is probably my favorite filler.

x2 Rage is a lot easier to work with in my opinion.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 7:04 AM
agreed with both john and joey. evercoat is great. bondo sucks. mainly the difference in cheap vs quality fillers is how it sands,spreads and if its prone to get a lot of pinholes. but if your in a crunch use bondo ultimate. it sands fairly easy.

rage gold,rage gold extreme, and the new filler out called quantum 1 by evercoat are great and sand easy. good fillers are usually not available at autozone,oreillys most of the time.

the quantum 1 filler is nice as it comes with a catalyst so u can use it as spot putty and hardly has any kind of pinholes come out..

I NEED a 97-99 LD9 engine harness for an auto.PM if u hav info.!!
Wednesday, May 20, 2009 10:06 AM
I haven't seen the quantum 1. I'll have to look for it next time I buy filler.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 10:29 AM
i havnt seen it available at my auto supply store but a friend of mine told me about it and said his shop had some. i know its online.ive priced it out. http://www.evercoat.com/products.aspx check it out inthe top left corner.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 11:37 AM
I like Duraglass for a heavy filler, Evercoat for a lightweight, and Dolphin glaze for a glaze. The half time stuff that John was talking about is real nice as well. I do like it as a lightweight filler, and haven't tried to use it as a glaze yet.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 2:56 PM
I go with evercoat..different ones have their advantages depending on the project, but mostly I like Rage Gold..spreads easy, minimal pinholing, and fairly easy to sand (especially if you know about sanding in the "greenstage")

Evercoat also makes a variety of great glazing putties too.

And as everyone has said....STAY AWAY FROM BONDO!!!

Thursday, May 21, 2009 12:56 PM
rage extreme....best I've ever used

Thursday, May 21, 2009 8:49 PM
Has anyone worked with the 'Dynatron' brand? They have different kinds like Dynalite, Super Premium, Ultra Grip II, and X-Grip.

As for Evercoat, how is their 'Lite Non-Clogging Lightweight Filler'?

Thursday, May 21, 2009 9:12 PM
USC makes an amazing glazing putty and I like Evercoat for the most part on a heavy filler. that and Evercoats Tiger hair for a HEAVY HEAVY filler for those chape ass jobs that your not making money on

Friday, May 22, 2009 5:54 PM
bondo. seems harder and allot more work to sand, has allot more shrinkage then decent fillers

dynatron, i wanna say its by bondo but its like their topline stuff. a grade above bondo

evercoat. pretty much all i'll use. standard evercoat for basic filling, kittyhair for building up something solid and rage gold usually as my final coats.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, May 22, 2009 6:44 PM
all we use is evercoat at work. Z-grip, Everglass, Metal Glaze, and Easy sand is what we use. hate bondo brand.. even hate it when body filler is referred to as "Bondo"

can be had fairly cheap at any Napa and Carquest too.

Our paint supplier came in and told us about their Quantum1, rick any more info on it? has anyone else actually used the stuff? May just have to order some and try it out.

Off-topic but 3M came out with a yellow tape, supposed to be cheaper then their green, we got 2 sleeves of it at work to try out and I love the stuff. Sticks to itself and anything real well unlike the white and green tapes. So just a little hint for anyone else in the same field to give it a try.

Saturday, May 23, 2009 8:46 PM
not really stephen. i havent had a chance to use it yet. but i have heard mixed reviews as a buddy of mine said he used the "hot" catalyst for 80 degrees and up and it took forever to harden up. not really sure though. this is all ive really read about it from evercoat : " Quantum1-Small Repair Evercoat’s first single step body repair technology. Its self leveling formula is specially engineered to fill smaller, single panel repairs and eliminates the need for finishing putty. Quantum1 utilizes patent pending 10:1 technology that is the successful integration of polyester and epoxy chemistries. As a result, Quantum1 has less shrinkage, better sandability and better repair quality than traditional body fillers and putties" main thing i do know is you can use it as putty too as well as the body filler

Sunday, May 24, 2009 10:27 AM
anybody ever try 3M's new "Bondo Bazooka Gun"..... its supposed to be the latest and greatest. filler sand very nice but its a BIG PITA. you have to have someone run the gun while you spread it. the owner of our shop bought one telling us that we were going to save money this way cause it would save on materials. but then he spent more on better sandpaper to sand it. we eventually just stopped using it. haha. there goes 1200 bucks down the drain. you only have about 10 minutes max to work with the stuff. its so gay. there supposedly working on faster and slower hardeners but for now there is only one. example is

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kFDlhGfnvjM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kFDlhGfnvjM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Sunday, May 24, 2009 10:28 AM
then i @!#$ up the embed process

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kFDlhGfnvjM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kFDlhGfnvjM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Sunday, May 24, 2009 10:29 AM
then i do it again. whatever i suck at life. see link HERE

Sunday, May 24, 2009 5:35 PM
lol , interesting. Almost like our 2part epoxys i guess.. seems like a good idea though.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 7:20 AM
We've sold a lot of them 3m guns to most of the local body shops. I know half returned them and hated them. The others love them. We've been gettin the same response to 3m's yellow tape. Some say its crap well others like it better then any of the other tape we sell. Just so you guys know, 3m has also come out with new sand paper called redline. Its one of the cheapest sand paper on the market and the cheapest we sell and a lot of people have fallen in love with it.
Wednesday, May 27, 2009 6:23 PM
i havnt heard of the redline sand paper,may have to check it out. i did however order some quantum 1 filler stephen. ill let ya know how it works out as i will be using it on my engine bay .

Sunday, May 31, 2009 4:57 PM
ok so i got to use the quantum filler today. stuff is pretty damn good. spreads really easy, sands pretty easy with 80 grit. only thing is you have to kinda add the right amount of catalyst . that and it gets tacky somewhat before it actually gets fully cured.but all in all its great. i got a half gallon,the hot catalyst,and spreaders for 40 bucks shipped! so i cant complain.

Friday, July 23, 2010 1:05 PM
Thanks for this, was looking for this.

baggedNINE7(rick) wrote:i havnt seen it available at my auto supply store but a friend of mine told me about it and said his shop had some. i know its online.ive priced it out. http://www.evercoat.com/products.aspxtirescarsparts check it out inthe top left corner.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search