$50 paint job - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
$50 paint job
Saturday, June 27, 2009 3:51 PM
I'm sure you have all heard of the $50 Rustoleum paint jobs. I just finished one on my winter beater/storm chasing car..
This is Safety Red, all supplies bought at Lowes and Wal Mart

Synopsis of the car before work started:
There were no rockers, lower doors, left fender flare or right quarter left. Rather than replace it with metal, I build skis, so I thought I'd use some of that technology on the car.
The left flare was molded from the intact right one, and the right quarter was molded from the left. From the molds I used triax glass and epoxy to recreate the parts, which were installed with regular glass. The triax and epoxy will be strong enough to take the snow blobs that build up and break off regular fiberglass/bondo.

total cost for this was $141.69 - and I have many new supplies left over. That includes the bodywork stuff too - lots of expensive triax fiberglass, and I used the epoxy I use for building ski's, which is much more expensive than fiberglass resin. But it releases from molds easily, and its super strong - needed that since the lower quarter panels and one fender flare are solid glass now - don't want snow accumulating and breaking things off!
That also includes the plaster of paris and other things to create molds from the good side for the bad side - most people wont need that.
Actual paint supplies was $46.41

If anyone tries this, here's what I learned (the hard way).

1. Spraying is much easier, but requires more taping
2. If you do roll it on, roll it very thin and wet sand after every 2 coats
3. Change the tape every 2 coats. I'm spending more time removing paint hardened tape than I did actually painting!
4. Contrary to the internet lore, I found 6" rollers easier to keep the paint even with
5. THIN!! I can't say it enough! The thinner a coat you apply, the smaller the orange peel, and the less sanding you'll have to do
6. Make sure to wait at least a couple weeks of hot weather before final sanding and buffing. Oil based enamels take longer to harden than acrylic enamels do
7. This is the biggie - make sure your surfaces are as perfect as you want your paint to be. If you don't mind dings and dents showing after your done, go for it. A light sanding and cleaning, and rustoleum will stick fine. If you want it to look like a mirror (and this paint will shine up that good), you need a perfectly smooth surface. Trust me - any little flaw looks 100x worse after its got shiny paint on it!
And if you are changing colors, get a can of spray paint in the same color for the door jambs, under the hood and trunk, and any places you cant reach easily (like under door handles). Spray those first, then the rest of the paint will blend in perfectly

Fun factor for this project = 5 stars

this is the missing wheel lip - 2 inches are 'glass

quarter panel - when I knocked that rust out the hole was about 8 x 8"!

the usual clear coat failure with resulting surface rust over the entire car

4 coats of paint into it. If you do this, don't worry about the orange peel - it sands out nicely

all done, except for the final wet sanding and rubbing out!

now for the important part - how good does it really look?

before wet sanding

after..

notice before you cant even see the lines of the siding - and after you can count them! Putting a dollar bill up to the paint you can read the serial number in the reflection!!

btw.. the bottom part is semi-gloss black to match the ugly bumpers. It also makes future rust repairs easy - after all it is a winter beater!!!

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Re: $50 paint job
Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:29 PM
its hard to tell in the final picture but it looks pretty damn good. but i would have to see it up close in person.

none the less, for 150.00 it looks way better than what you had
Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:55 PM
Post full pics please. A partial pic isn't gonna get it

Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:57 PM
it actually looks better in person. I've sprayed so many before, when I found this online while searching for local paint distributors I kinda got hooked on the idea. The car was a $500 throwaway so if it didn't work, no big loss. But it worked way better than I ever thought possible. Compared to spraying, its much more labor-intensive, since the sanding is what makes the paint job. But I wish I would have known this 50 cars ago - it would have been perfect for so many of my old cars when I was younger. My theory used to be performance over paint, but a quickie shiny paint job that didn't take money away from buying a Holley carb would have been so much nicer than all the primer rat rod cars I had.

The only problem is the paint is so thinned out, it will seep under the tape and accumulate in places you don't want. Changing the tape every 2 coats or so lets you fix that issue. I still have the vertical surfaces to sand out tomorrow - I'll post the completed pics if the weather holds up

if your interested in seeing others....

http://www.rolledon.com/forum.htm

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master.htm?http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html

Saturday, June 27, 2009 5:01 PM
I'll post some big ones after the vertical parts are sanded and the whole car is finished - I just resized those because I know how posting pics on JBO can destroy your monthly bandwidth allotment, and those are on my business webserver!

Saturday, June 27, 2009 5:17 PM
oh yeah.. Hot Rod did an article on painting this way..

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/body/hrdp_0707_1962_ford_falcon_budget_paint_job/index.html

and where the heck is the edit button!!!

Sunday, June 28, 2009 6:26 AM
how many hours do you have into this from start to finish?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Sunday, June 28, 2009 7:26 AM
I've seen a few cars done this way really amazes me with how they turn out. My slowdance will be getting this treatment in the not too distant future.

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Sunday, June 28, 2009 11:19 AM
Robo you need to be a premium member and this is a really neat method.
Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:37 PM
It was done in spurts of a couple hours each day. The rust repair was the time consuming part, since I molded the opposite side, then used that to make replacement panels.

Actual painting takes about a 1/2 hr a coat, twice a day, 1.5 hrs of wet sanding in the morn, and I have about 12 coats on - mainly because I experimented on a couple coats and ended up with orange peel from h-e-double hockey sticks.
Final sanding and buffing takes longer, because thats where you want it to be as close to perfect as possible. I have about 6 hrs in on that, and still have the roof and vertical surfaces to go, if customers stop dumping computers on me!

Quote:

Robo you need to be a premium member and this is a really neat method.

Thats scary - you must not have been around in the 'unlimited post' days to see my amazing postwhoring abilities!

Sunday, June 28, 2009 1:01 PM
We have limited posts? lawl... im pretty new. I just started POSTING a few days ago, i have been a member for a decent time looking around and getting info lawl.

And are you able to see how many posts you have?

Sunday, June 28, 2009 1:16 PM
you used to be able to.. but way back, dave was having issues with too much bandwidth being used and one of the methods of controlling the cost was to limit posts to 100/mo for non premium members.
I used to post like crazy, especially in performance - I was the guy that got HP Tuners to include cavaliers. After being limited to 100 posts, I found other forums to habitate

btw.. we spray Rustoleum all the time on our late model and sportsman cars - mainly on the frame and chassis parts. Much cheaper than most other paints. You only need to thin it about 10% that way. We use yellow a lot for that because it shows cracks better than black

I think this is so fun to do because even I can't believe how its coming out! And I've sprayed many, many cars before - not to mention its a darn good workout!!

Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:12 PM
These kind of paint jobs just bug me. I'm sure they have a decent turn out but they just bug me.

http://nwgme.org
Monday, June 29, 2009 1:20 PM
They don't bug me. They amaze me.

And dang... i didntk know we had a limit... grr i have been posting like crazy lately too lol. Rustoleum has a great primer i think... but i'm no expert. I just rattle can the primer on rust spots after sanding, paint it, and it lasts for a good long time before having to repeat.
Monday, June 29, 2009 4:40 PM
it can win shows...

http://www.rolledon.com/projects-f2/first-car-show-and-first-win-t394.htm

I can handle that kind of buggin...

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:00 PM
so maybe 40 hours or so by the time yoru all said and done?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:32 PM
RoboGeek, I'm sure you do not remember me, but I remember all the things you use to do for the community. I thank you.

Nice job on the paint as well.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, June 30, 2009 2:45 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:RoboGeek, I'm sure you do not remember me, but I remember all the things you use to do for the community. I thank you.

Nice job on the paint as well.

Agreed I have to thank you aswell

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 3:39 PM
like hidden text and bugging sunfy?? lol

I finished wet sanding and rubbing it out about 5 min ago. Hopefully I can get it washed and waxed and take pics tomorrow

and I remember pretty much everybody here, except those who really changed their names. Made a lot of friends here over the years... the business has just been so darn busy I don't have much time to post other than the computer forums I mod. But I got so sick of working 24/7 I decided to get back into fixing my cars up. I swear fixing up the beater is more fun than working on the good one!

Monday, July 13, 2009 6:11 AM
Any pics?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, July 13, 2009 8:45 AM
nice job, i love these paint jobs when done right. on another forum someone was trying to get a paint job done using a wanger house sprayer instead of rolling it on to decrease the amount of orangepeel. ill see if i can find pics.

Monday, July 13, 2009 6:09 PM
looks great!
Monday, July 13, 2009 6:28 PM
wow. thats so professional right thur. why wouldnt you pull bumpers, mirrors, etc.

Monday, July 13, 2009 6:51 PM
Wojo wrote:wow. thats so professional right thur. why wouldnt you pull bumpers, mirrors, etc.

You are a real idiot, aren't you. Perhaps I should explain the concept of 'winter beater' first. Thats the car us rich folk drive when that "white stuff you ski on" falls on the roads. The evil government puts down this stuff called 'salt' which reacts with steel to form 'rust'. The 'rust' eats away the metal formally known as 'steel', including all the places where the little hex headed things go we call 'screws'. If you remove parts, you probably won't have a place to put them back. Get it?

Don't you have a lug nut to polish or something???

Monday, July 13, 2009 7:40 PM
RoboGeek wrote:
Wojo wrote:wow. thats so professional right thur. why wouldnt you pull bumpers, mirrors, etc.

You are a real idiot, aren't you. Perhaps I should explain the concept of 'winter beater' first. Thats the car us rich folk drive when that "white stuff you ski on" falls on the roads. The evil government puts down this stuff called 'salt' which reacts with steel to form 'rust'. The 'rust' eats away the metal formally known as 'steel', including all the places where the little hex headed things go we call 'screws'. If you remove parts, you probably won't have a place to put them back. Get it?

Don't you have a lug nut to polish or something???

i lol'ed so hard at this

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search