Tow hooks - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tow hooks
Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:51 AM
ive searched and found that some one posted this but has anyone done it yet?? just found people saying they like it doesn't really help lol.

here are examples

Re: Tow hooks
Wednesday, December 30, 2009 12:04 PM
Dont get stuck.

219whp - I <3 whine

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 12:06 PM
Tinkles wrote:Dont get stuck.

This

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 1:47 PM
Hooks are worthless and tow driver worth his job doesnt need those to pull a car out

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 1:59 PM
Any metal fab place can make them...A lot of DIY folks can too...

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
" Leave the rice to Uncle Ben's and the wings to KFC..
Go clean or go home. "

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 2:09 PM
TheSundownFire (JBO Chat) wrote:Hooks are worthless and tow driver worth his job doesnt need those to pull a car out

plus i know most tow truck drivers wont use them anyway

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Wednesday, December 30, 2009 3:30 PM
If you're not running on a road course you have no purpose for these.

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 4:15 PM
those hooks arnt meant to be used to tow the car car with a truck ... used to pull a car onto a track or off a track usually .

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 4:29 PM
They look great on certain cars, However I havnt seen a J-body yet that can pull them off correctly.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Thursday, December 31, 2009 12:40 AM
well my goal for my car is to just put it on a course but right now i im just going it for cosmetics but at the same time be sturdy enough to do its job since i live in a area where it snows heavy. i dont know i just love the way it looks and i can picture it on my sunfire but i just see running into issues for the rear tow hook

Thursday, December 31, 2009 12:50 AM
i think misnblu has one installed!

WiGM-Tuners member.

Thursday, December 31, 2009 1:05 AM
yea..where's misnblu?

JAMMMEESSS! Get yer old ass in here and post them pics!

Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:02 AM

Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:42 AM
Im sorry man but leave those for the imports. Thats where they belong. And as already mentioned if you get a tow truck driver that knows what theyre doing they dont need a tow hook. Half the ppl I know that have them say theyd take off their fancy one and put a crappy one on if they ever had to use it lol Its a cosmetic thing in a sense. It has function but most wouldnt and dont use them for function.

- T.

Thursday, December 31, 2009 9:49 AM
Unfortunately, I have to disagree with some of the opinions of a tow hook.
First, if you've never had to pull over because your fuel pump died on you and you had to tow your car from a friend with a tow strap, you'll then know that a tow hook is indeed a worthy mod to any car.
I've had to tow my car twice and both times had to remove the front bumper to tow the car or even have it pulled up on the tow truck. Talk about a pain in the butt.

So I therefore installed a tow hook on the car so that I won't have to worry about removing the front bumper to have a friend tow the car off the road or track.
And I do track my car at the drag strip and in the future when the car is finished, will have it tracked on track days so those are reasons enough to warrant a tow hook for my car. It's not just mounted there to look pretty although it actually does look pretty cool, to me at least.

Either way, here's the way I mounted mine and personally think it looks good and is completely functional in it's approach.
It's centrally located so that there's an even amount of tension on the tow hook and near the level needed for most trucks and tow trucks to pull evenly down the road.

I mounted the hook directly to the crash guard and had to modify the crash guard to mount the hook in the spot that I wanted.
I also had to refabricate the mounting location of the oil cooler since it was in the way of where I wanted to mount the hook.
Here's how I mounted it and you're looking at the crash guard which I had to cut open to gain access to the bolts for the tow hook.
Oil cooler is below the crash guard and I painted the area in black to protect the cut metal from rust down the road. Since this is an area that you never see, I didn't worry about it being perfect with the paint etc.

Stephen, nice setup man and looks good.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Thursday, December 31, 2009 10:23 AM
Misnblu wrote:Stephen, nice setup man and looks good.

that's alias's old setup.

my carDomain updated 10/31/09 Forged and Supercharged

Thursday, December 31, 2009 10:59 AM
the thing also what length did u use stephen or misnblu? theres a bunch of different one like 5" 6" all the way up 12" and thats from this site http://www.tow-hook.com/ unless you got a "jdm" one from ebay

Thursday, December 31, 2009 11:20 AM
I have been toying with getting a tow hook for a while.

My car is low as sh!t. I have had the joy of needing a tow while dropped and kitted.....It is not fun ripping your front bumper off on the side of the highway in the rain to get it onto the dolly.

But I would want one that you could use to lift the front a little to get more clearance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, December 31, 2009 11:32 AM

Thursday, December 31, 2009 12:29 PM
Stephen (manta z) wrote:

doesn't look bad at all im thinking about getting one now

Thursday, December 31, 2009 1:02 PM
Xavier Nava wrote:the thing also what length did u use stephen or misnblu? theres a bunch of different one like 5" 6" all the way up 12" and thats from this site http://www.tow-hook.com/ unless you got a "jdm" one from ebay

I forgot what length I got mine in but you first have to find a location that will suit your tow hook and to make sure that it's bolted in solid enough to be able to be towed.
So selection is critical in where you're going to mount the hook.

So go out and have a serious look at the car and figure out where you want to mount it.
I didn't want to cut through any body parts and having it hang off to one side like pictured tells me that with any pressure of a tow that the hook would bend and damage the bumper because it's not centered on the car. This is why I chose my location and I've had my car towed from the crash guard a couple of times so know that it would hold the tow hook with no issues of pulling the car.

Get the blank tow hooks as shown on the website link a couple of posts up. This way you can drill out the hook to your needs and makes it a bit easier for you to select where you want the holes.
Anyway good luck with it .

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:21 PM
Misnblu wrote:
Xavier Nava wrote:the thing also what length did u use stephen or misnblu? theres a bunch of different one like 5" 6" all the way up 12" and thats from this site http://www.tow-hook.com/ unless you got a "jdm" one from ebay

I forgot what length I got mine in but you first have to find a location that will suit your tow hook and to make sure that it's bolted in solid enough to be able to be towed.
So selection is critical in where you're going to mount the hook.

So go out and have a serious look at the car and figure out where you want to mount it.
I didn't want to cut through any body parts and having it hang off to one side like pictured tells me that with any pressure of a tow that the hook would bend and damage the bumper because it's not centered on the car. This is why I chose my location and I've had my car towed from the crash guard a couple of times so know that it would hold the tow hook with no issues of pulling the car.

Get the blank tow hooks as shown on the website link a couple of posts up. This way you can drill out the hook to your needs and makes it a bit easier for you to select where you want the holes.
Anyway good luck with it .

yea ill probably get the 12" and cut off wut i dont need. has anyone managed to put it on a newer sunfire?

Thursday, December 31, 2009 5:37 PM
i've always been thinkin about one of these, but never got around to it.

Friday, January 01, 2010 8:26 PM
yea me 2 but i need a front lip. gary is that a razzi lip on your sunfire?

Saturday, January 02, 2010 9:31 AM
Gary Frank wrote:i've always been thinkin about one of these, but never got around to it.

Exactly!

Saturday, January 02, 2010 10:42 AM
Xavier Nava wrote:yea me 2 but i need a front lip. gary is that a razzi lip on your sunfire?

Nope, its a stock 00-02 Cavalier LS Sport lip cut in half to fit.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search