Two convertible top repair questions. - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Two convertible top repair questions.
Wednesday, May 19, 2010 12:05 PM
Hi all, I recently purchased a 2000 Cavalier Z24 convertible and the top needs a few repairs.

One is a tiny hole in the back right side of the top. See pic:

The material is a sailcloth vinyl. What would be the best way to fix this? Should I put a patch on it? Or maybe just a little dab of glue from the inside? Are there kits for this sort of thing somewhere?

The other thing is that the top is peeling away from the back window. See pic:

What's the best glue to use to seal this back up?

Thanks for the help!

Re: Two convertible top repair questions.
Wednesday, May 19, 2010 1:23 PM
I don't have a recommendation for the first issue, but I'm sure someone else will chime in with the best material and adhesive for this hole. I'd like to mention that the location of the hole looks similar to the places where I noticed "dimples" in my top, on both sides behind the rear quarter window, after raising it. Obviously, something was making these "dimples" and it took a little investigating to find out what. As it turns out, the studs for the rear struts stick up into the area where the top folds and were long enough to be hitting the top fabric when it was folded down. (I've seen these "dimples" on other 3rd gen 'vert tops too, so I know it wasn't just my car.) Not wanting to create holes in the fabric, I marked the threaded strut mounting shaft above the nut, removed the rear struts and cut off the excess shaft. I then reinstalled the struts and checked for clearance. Now I don't get "dimples" in the fabric. GM had put some small rubber nubs on the ends of the shafts to make them blunt, but these don't help if the shaft is too long. Anyway, that problem is solved.

As for the separation, I used two adhesives to fix this on my top. First, I used a 3M Super Strength adhesive to hold the fabric to the glass, using all due care to clean everything up first. Once that had cured, I used a thin silicone RVT made for sealing windshields in a fine bead at the joint just to make sure it was water tight. These types of repairs are often of limited lifespan, but mine has been okay for a couple of years since.

Good luck. - Mark

markc50...formerly 1of7627 but that login doesn't work anymore.
Wednesday, May 19, 2010 4:06 PM
Alright, that sounds good, I'll see what I can do, thanks.
Wednesday, May 19, 2010 4:21 PM
^^^the windshield sealer is what ive heard to use for the rear glass problem, although ive never used it myself.

as for your hole...they should make some sort of patch kit for small holes like that. check your local parts store for that. and id try to patch from the inside since itll be less noticeable.

also, for some great info for vert owners, check the third gen forum's sticky at the top for both a vert manual as well as leak repair kit. invaluable for sure.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:10 PM
Yeah I saw that. Quite useful. Thanks!
Thursday, May 20, 2010 9:26 AM
I'll just add that a large part of the problem with repairs like this is that the parts have to be immobilized while the adhesive cures. If you have a separation and just use RTV, you have to clamp the parts overnight which is often difficult or impossible. That's why I used the 3M to close the separation first, as it's a contact cement that will hold immediately. (Of course, you have to be extremely careful to position the parts before assembly.) You can then easily apply the RTV and let it cure as it sees fit. - Mark

markc50...formerly 1of7627 but that login doesn't work anymore.
Thursday, May 20, 2010 5:21 PM
Ok I ordered a vinyl patch kit that comes with vinyl adhesive which should work for the top.

For the window you think some all purpose contact cement marketed for PVC and ABS followed by silicone sealant would do? I already have those glues on hand.
Wednesday, May 02, 2012 11:30 AM
With regard to reattaching your convertible canvas to the rear window, following are instructions that you might find useful.
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=11&i=162114&t=153388&p=1
Wednesday, May 02, 2012 11:54 AM
(tabs) wrote:^^^the windshield sealer is what ive heard to use for the rear glass problem, although ive never used it myself.

Make sure it is the urethane variety. Not sure if they sell any other any more.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search