how do i paint my car and not have it look like spray paint? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
how do i paint my car and not have it look like spray paint?
Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:23 PM

Re: how do i paint my car and not have it look like spray paint?
Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:26 PM
use automotive paint..

Sunday, November 21, 2010 7:10 PM
Not trying to make you feel bad but take it to a body shop. That is the only way. Unless you have all the equipment and know how, that is the only way. Very easy to run into a problem and not know what to do.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 7:24 PM
Use a roller, paint brush or have it professionally done?

Disclaimer: Dey see me Trollin' Dey hatin' for trollin dey trying to catch me ridin dirty.

Monday, November 22, 2010 1:27 AM
Is this a actual question lol

13.1 @ 115
Monday, November 22, 2010 6:17 AM
Quote:

curtis kaiser
(ck)

Last Update: Sunday, November 21, 2010

this kind of question belongs in the newbies forum for a reason...

Monday, November 22, 2010 6:35 PM
dont use spray paint.. plain and simple

Monday, November 22, 2010 7:06 PM
Use a roller and some eggshell semi gloss. Get some good foam brushes for the little areas. I hear Bahr makes some that already has the primer in it.

Monday, November 22, 2010 7:12 PM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:Use a roller and some eggshell semi gloss. Get some good foam brushes for the little areas. I hear Bahr makes some that already has the primer in it.

They do and it works great, These guys know nothing about good looking paint.
Newbs smh....I hope he rolls some paint on it and posts pics
Rustoleum is where it's at.

Monday, November 22, 2010 7:18 PM
buff the piss out of it when your done.

Monday, November 22, 2010 8:44 PM
Get 10 friends to stand on a bridge with buckets of paint and have them pour it down while you drive under it, sort of like a waterfall. Make sure you are driving fast enough so everything gets covered. I did this with my friends but it didn't get painted all the way to the back (I was slamming gears in my auto and put it in first and it slowed me down) so now I have a weird 2tone job going on.

Seriously though, the obvous answer to your question is don't use spray paint. The better answer is take it to a profesional.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 3:08 AM
The only spray paint job that I have had ever look even half way decent was with automotive paint (in a spray can) when I had to spray a trim piece for my Eagle Vision. The factory paint was non metallic and I put 5 light coats on, then covered with 2 coats of auto clear coat in a spray can.

Simple - Small parts - light coats, even clear coat. Large parts or an entire car... never going to look right.

----

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 3:51 AM
Andy Brooks's fire is spray painted flat black...

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 12:00 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:Andy Brooks's fire is spray painted flat black...

Not sure who that is, but if it looks good I'm sure its because he spent allot of time on it. Most people who spray paint anything are impatient (hence why they don't wait until they can afford a real paint job).

I see your point though, it CAN be done and looks nice(at least thats the point I think you are making). But people have also fallen out of buildings and survived, just because its possible doesn't make it advisable .
Tuesday, November 23, 2010 12:10 PM
Andy Brook's fire also rarely leaves the garage

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 3:35 PM
My friend spray bombed my SS's front bumper for me. He did fantastic, as good as you can do with spray paint... but the fact of the matter is, it doesn't last. It cant take the abuse. I let him do it cause I didn't have the cash to paint it, and I figured, it couldn't look worse than it already looked. He used something like a 10 cans including clear (just for the front bumper)... and it looked flawless for awhile... but after 6 months it became dull, and was pretty pitted from every day driving. But it was the front bumper, which sees a lot of road debris & it was the daily driven including a north east winter. But no, I wouldn't recommend it spray painting a car.

Here's what it looked like right afterwords, which lasted a couple months looking nice:

And after almost a year of every-day-driving abuse:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, November 23, 2010 3:36 PM

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 3:46 PM
Apparently the Duplicolor clears have UV protectants but I call BS on that simply because my taillights have faded out terribly as have my friends. So thats probably why it tends to fade out unless you wax it religiously.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 5:05 PM
Yeah my friend used automotive spray paint... the problem is, it's spray paint... spray paint is not for painting cars regardless of whether or not it has a picture of a car on it.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 12:13 PM
Mrs Jazer wrote:

Nice dent haha. Spray bombed fronts don't last long on a DD. Mine held up for a total of 1 month maybe? And I used quite a bit of color and clear.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 9:13 AM
Yeah, that happened over the winter a couple months before I sold it...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search